2012 NBA Finals Thread

MC KAos

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4591539 said:
Did I say they didnt? No what I said was the game was close throughout until the final minute or two.

They were up 9 with 4 minute to go and never got much closer, the game was over then, not with 1 minute to go

Noryb

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4591536 said:
I think we win the next game then the Heat take 2 at home before we get the 3rd one there. Comeback to OKC with a 3-2 lead and finish it off in game 6.

That's actually how I saw it at first, but when I look at the minutes the top 6 players for the Heat logged, while having a double digit lead for most of the first half, it brings me to the reality of a possible sweep. As others have mentioned, Hardin wasn't a factor tonight either.

The only thing working in the Heat's favor is the 2-3-2 format.

Reaction score
MC KAos;4591555 said:
They were up 9 with 4 minute to go and never got much closer, the game was over then, not with 1 minute to go

9 points isnt a blowout. They got within 6 I believe

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Gotta love the

"Durantula" nick on BSPN. :laugh2:

Great game tonight.

Go Thunder!!

MC KAos

Reaction score
Dallas;4591569 said:
Gotta love the

"Durantula" nick on BSPN. :laugh2:

Great game tonight.

Go Thunder!!

that nickname was actually given to him by chip brown while he was at UT

MC KAos

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4591560 said:
9 points isnt a blowout. They got within 6 I believe

9 points is a blowout in my eyes, that covers just about any spread the nba finals has ever seen, its a comfortable win. it certainly was a blowout in the second half any way you look at it, the game was never in doubt for the thunder after it got to 81-84 with about 6 minutes to go.

edit:they actually won by 11, thats definitely at least a borderline blowout.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Noryb;4591558 said:
That's actually how I saw it at first, but when I look at the minutes the top 6 players for the Heat logged, while having a double digit lead for most of the first half, it brings me to the reality of a possible sweep. As others have mentioned, Hardin wasn't a factor tonight either.

The only thing working in the Heat's favor is the 2-3-2 format.

me too, the 2-3-2 format is the only reason i think its going 6, otherwise the thunder would have won this series in 5 IMO

MC KAos

Reaction score
quote for stern about flopping

"Flopping almost doesn't do it justice," Stern said Tuesday just prior to the start of the NBA Finals. "Trickery. Deceit designed to cause the game to be decided other than on its merits. We'll be looking at that.

the bold part, looks like the NBA will need to look in the mirror :cool:

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
This game went the way that it did because Miami went away from running the offense through LeBron starting at the top of the key.

When Wade tried to become "the man" it was almost like when Westbrook becomes "Westbrick" and stops passing it to Durant. Shots were missed, the Heat got bad shots because Wade dribbles around too much, and the Thunder chipped away.

This team can win, and they can beat the Thunder, if they start the offense basically running the high pick and roll with LeBron and Bosh. Otherwise you're going to see more of the same -- bad shots as the shot clock expires by the Heat, Wade falling down on offense, and the Thunder having numbers going the other way after the defensive boards.

juck

Reaction score
casmith07;4591655 said:
This game went the way that it did because Miami went away from running the offense through LeBron starting at the top of the key.

When Wade tried to become "the man" it was almost like when Westbrook becomes "Westbrick" and stops passing it to Durant. Shots were missed, the Heat got bad shots because Wade dribbles around too much, and the Thunder chipped away.

This team can win, and they can beat the Thunder, if they start the offense basically running the high pick and roll with LeBron and Bosh. Otherwise you're going to see more of the same -- bad shots as the shot clock expires by the Heat, Wade falling down on offense, and the Thunder having numbers going the other way after the defensive boards.

I think Heat wins next game. If they do the pendulum swings big time towards Miami.Bosh needs more iso plays.

Noryb

Reaction score
casmith07;4591655 said:

Did the Heat simply stop running the pick and roll with those two or did the Thunder make adjustments that forced them to abandon it?

But that's the problem I see with the Heat, you can't have your entire offense based on one player. Wade and Bosh have to step up for them to have a decent chance. Wade needs to realize that he is older and he is no longer the most athletic person on the court. As Kobe and Jordan got older they modified their game and Wade would be wise to do the same.

They also need to come up with a better way of defending Durant in the 4th. Switching on every screen/pick allows Durant to match up against smaller defenders and he simply shoots over the top them like he did against Wade last night.

Noryb

Reaction score
I saw a segment on ESPN yesterday in which they were talking about the big four and how all four are under contract next year. They mentioned that Ibaka and Hardin will be free agents at the end of next season. This particular analyst, I don’t remember his name, was under the impression that the Thunder wouldn’t be able to keep both and would have to make a choice between the two.

I’m basing this totally off potential but if I personally had to make the choice between the two I would keep Ibaka. I think that his game is a perfect complement to WB and KD. The improvements that he has made over the last few years has really been impressive and it shows that he works hard to improve his game. The guy actually has a jump shot now. I don't know if he's capable, but If he ever develops some low-post moves look out. He’s already the league leader in shot blocking and in the voting for the defense player of the year, he finished second. At 22, the sky is the limit and I think he has the potential to be a 20-10 player but with KD on your team he really doesn’t need to average 20pts/ per game.

So the question is, who would you rather keep, Ibaka or Hardin?

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Noryb;4591762 said:
Did the Heat simply stop running the pick and roll with those two or did the Thunder make adjustments that forced them to abandon it?

But that's the problem I see with the Heat, you can't have your entire offense based on one player. Wade and Bosh have to step up for them to have a decent chance. Wade needs to realize that he is older and he is no longer the most athletic person on the court. As Kobe and Jordan got older they modified their game and Wade would be wise to do the same.

They also need to come up with a better way of defending Durant in the 4th. Switching on every screen/pick allows Durant to match up against smaller defenders and he simply shoots over the top them like he did against Wade last night.

Wade has some knee issues right now.

And obviously Bosh is not 100%.

Lebron gets no rest and shoulders the whole load for the most part.

Heat can win this, but after watching that 4th quarter last night it looks like they are done. Finished. Toast. Stick a fork in them.

Game 2 could prove otherwise, so we'll have to wait and see.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Noryb;4591800 said:
I saw a segment on ESPN yesterday in which they were talking about the big four and how all four are under contract next year. They mentioned that Ibaka and Hardin will be free agents at the end of next season. This particular analyst, I don’t remember his name, was under the impression that the Thunder wouldn’t be able to keep both and would have to make a choice between the two.

I’m basing this totally off potential but if I personally had to make the choice between the two I would keep Ibaka. I think that his game is a perfect complement to WB and KD. The improvements that he has made over the last few years has really been impressive and it shows that he works hard to improve his game. The guy actually has a jump shot now. I don't know if he's capable, but If he ever develops some low-post moves look out. He’s already the league leader in shot blocking and in the voting for the defense player of the year, he finished second. At 22, the sky is the limit and I think he has the potential to be a 20-10 player but with KD on your team he really doesn’t need to average 20pts/ per game.

they can keep them both under the bird rights, their payroll will be huge, but they wont get taxed. i think eventually they will amnesty perkins and extend harden and ibaka. here is the tricky part, neither of those players are trully max deal guys, presti comes from the RC Buford school of GMs that wont give max deals to players that dont deserve them. TP and Ginobili make about 12 to 14 per year, and thats about what harden and ibaka should make. I think ultimately it will come down to if they and their reps will sign the extensions before next summer at that rate, or if they want to try and get max deals elsewhere.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Noryb;4591800 said:

I think MCKaos is right. They'll probably amnesty Perkins in an attempt to keep both, but I don't think they can (or will, with the new higher luxury tax) keep both. They could if both guys took less than a max deal, but I have a feeling Harden in particular will hold out for one, and may well get one.

Not sure, but Ibaka doesn't seem at all like a max guy to me... Wonder if they could sign him to a little cheaper extension early and still have enough to offer Harden.

But I'm with you on who I'd keep, if only because Ibaka is the big man. If they chose Harden, I'd be worried about having three perimeter type guys and being too weak on the inside in the playoffs, because they won't have any money left to get anyone big. And as brilliant as Harden is at times -- many nights he's the best player on the team -- I have my doubts that he would be the same as *the* star of the team. Plus I don't get the idea that he may like the small market as much as the others, though that's really just my impression and I could be wrong about that.

I wonder if he were determined to leave if they could sign and trade him and at least get something pretty good back, like maybe a high pick and a useful player or two. I used to have a fair grasp of the CBA, but haven't gotten much into the new one.

Great question, though.