***2013 NFL DRAFT ROUND 4, 5, 6 and 7 Discussion Thread***

fishspill

Reaction score
tonyd219;5067384 said:
Their line is nasty.... Avril, Bennett, Clemons, plus Hill and Williams... wow....

I predict a lot of training camp fights with OL as they compete for playing time. Just make them that much nastier.

Zordon

Reaction score
McLovin;5067378 said:
That is how you draft, wont have to overpay to keep starters in the trenches past age 30. rotation and depth, similar formula to the early 90s cowboys.

You open up trade possibilities and keep cap in check. They really only lacked a dynamic outside threat (Harvin) and pas rusher (which they plugged in FA this year)

~sigh
Exactly! Just seems like everyone at VR went brain dead and completely forgot the formula in the 90s. When Kiffin said we were going to model Seattle, this type of dline investment is what I was expecting. This is how you avoid paying 30 yr old players when their contract is up (spencer) and save money in the cap. It's frustrating this franchise does not understand this.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Star4Ever;5067382 said:
Which means they'll have to cut some of those players. Maybe we can pick one up if they're worth it.

I think this is what Jerrys plan is when it comes to OL and DL. He's going to wait for some vets to get cut and feed us the scraps of teams that actually draft well in the trenches.

morasp

Reaction score
MonsterD;5067402 said:
No one wants Ellington? I wouldn't mind taking him.

I thought he looked good but I thought Randle looked good too

wileedog

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;5067243 said:
If you look at the numbers, Hatcher is a top 5-7 interior pass rusher in the league. He's not with the elites but he's really, really good. You're seriously undervalueing him.

I think you would have a lot of trouble finding a plurality of people outside of Dallas who think "Jason Hatcher" when asked about premier interior pass rushers in this league. Maybe I'm undervaluing him, but not by much.

No one knows what Ratliff will be like when healthy and in a 4-3 run and read style rather than read and react.

He's going to be 32 when the season starts and has faced 9 years of constant double teams on the inside. I think asking him to be 28 again because the scheme changed is more than a stretch. One year is an aberration but two straight years clearly on the decline at this age is usually a pretty good sign the party is over.

Calling young guys who showed some real flashes last year JAGS is a disservice, especially on Crawford.
I'll give Crawford some leeway but we have certainly seen enough of Lissemore to know he is an extremely average player at best.

Bottom line is if Ware is injured or if Spencer can't play with his hand on the ground (I think one of the most accurate knocks on him is he doesn't shed blockers well, something he will have to do every down now) this group becomes an out and out weakness. And again, there is very little quality depth to rotate out a group of players on the wrong side of 30.

Calling this group a 'strength' and ignoring it to add another TE and a 4th CB was a bad idea IMO.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Radio just said that Dallas has the worst percentage of picked players from 2007 to 2012 still on the roster in the NFCE.

Like 17 of 47 or something around there.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Zordon;5067397 said:
Exactly! Just seems like everyone at VR went brain dead and completely forgot the formula in the 90s. When Kiffin said we were going to model Seattle, this type of dline investment is what I was expecting. This is how you avoid paying 30 yr old players when their contract is up (spencer) and save money in the cap. It's frustrating this franchise does not understand this.

And in 2014 you have a line likely of
ware
crawford
lissemore
?

Spencer, ratliff and hatcher likely gone and if one is retained, it will be spencer and it will cost. Then you are FORCED to go a certain position.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Who's the best blocking TE left in the draft? He's probably about to get a call from Jerry Jones.

morasp

Reaction score
Hoofbite;5067406 said:
Radio just said that Dallas has the worst percentage of picked players from 2007 to 2012 still on the roster in the NFCE.

They were saying on talking cowboys that it averages out to less than one starter per draft which is terrible.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
morasp;5067413 said:
They were saying on talking cowboys that it averages out to less than one starter per draft which is terrible.

That's 36% which is hardly one player a draft.

davey999

Reaction score
Hoofbite;5067406 said:

Hence why their picks are instantly questioned.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I can't believe these radio guys even have jobs.

You have 1 guy saying the 49ers are in a great position because they are paying their QB on a rookie contract.

Nevermind the fact that they started building their team when they were paying the #1 overall pick in Alex Smith.

I honestly can't believe guys can say this with such narrow perspectives.

"Oh the 49ers are only in a good position because they haven't been paying for a QB"

Yeah, they paid Alex Smith like $60M in 2005 and then had to build from there.