2016 NCAA Football

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
As a fan, I'm okay with this Final 4. Ohio State and Clemson may be the only teams to stand somewhat of a chance vs. Alabama. Washington isn't as loaded with talent across the roster like the other three but Chris Petersen is a good coach. With a month to prepare, I don't think it will be as bad as Michigan State last year.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with the 4 teams they picked however the criteria is somewhat arbitrary in my opinion. People complaining that Michigan or Penn State should of gotten in.

I personally would rather have them pick the 4 best teams from a pool of the 5 conference winners. Otherwise the conference titles mean nothing and they are arguing this team lost because of this or this team lost to this team but beat that team. Reward the teams that win their conferences, that way it is settled on the field.

Last edited:

joseephuss

Reaction score
I don't have an issue with the 4 teams they picked however the criteria is somewhat arbitrary in my opinion. People complaining that Michigan or Penn State should of gotten in.

I personally would rather have them pick the 4 best teams from a pool of the 5 conference winners. Otherwise the conference titles mean nothing and they are arguing this team lost because of this or this team lost to this team but beat that team. Reward the teams that win their conferences, that way it is settled on the field.

The precedent that conference titles don't matter was set years ago. Nebraska made it to a mythical national championship game when they didn't even participate in the Big XII title game. A few years after that Oklahoma got crushed in the Big XII title game, but still got selected to play for the MNC.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
then why is Washington in? Conference title?
I don't know why they are in. They have been the darlings of the committee most of the year. Come Dec 31st everyone will see how many flaws they have as Bama rolls over them.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why they are in. They have been the darlings of the committee most of the year. Come Dec 31st everyone will see how many flaws they have as Bama rolls over them.

That's what I thought when Ohio State got in a couple years ago.
Media darlings who were going to be in for a harsh ride once they play Alabama...

Oops. haha

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I missed College football this weekend and then had to wait until the night to see the Cowboys play and play poorly.

Very dissatisfying weekend.

At least I can go home and watch the Walking dead this evening...hope it was better than the cowboys game. If anything at least Ash vs Evil Dead should put a smile on my face when I watch it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I am tuned out now... kinda sad really.
The playoffs should be a massive draw but reality is they've turned into the ANTI-NCAA basketball tourney model.

If the reality is they simply want the BEST 4 TEAMS... why play a friggin season at all?
Just take the pre-season top 4 and go at it.

If you favor a traditional top 10 power this is a great model. If you favor ANYONE else this model is awful.

OSU is a heck of a talented team but you start with conference champs not with teams they've beaten.

For me:
Bama
Clemson
Washington
Penn St

OSU would have been a hard luck team but it's the B1G rules that should have been examined afterwards much like the Big 12 was punished when Baylor and TCU tied.

Hilariously the Big 10 model is to reward the have not and advance the team that hasn't been, while the CFP playoff model is to do the exact opposite.

They need to expand this to 8 teams and pronto.
The 5 P5 Champs all in, the best non P5 team in, and 2 at large based on CFP rankings.

DFWJC

Reaction score
then why is Washington in? Conference title?
Weren't they both top 4 ranked AND conference champions?
I think 3 of the 4 fit that criteria.
Ohio State was the outlier but were ranked so high they stayed with them anyway.

Last edited:

jimmy40

Reaction score
12? Texas High School football championship games in hi def over 3 days. good times

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This year an 8 team model probably would look like:

1. Bama vs 8. West Mich
2. Clemson vs. 7. OU
3. Wash vs 6. Mich
4. OSU vs 5. PSU
When a playoff system for determining the national champion was announced the very first thing I said they screwed it up and should have went with 8 teams. To this day I still believe that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

That being said, the current playoff system with 4 teams is light years better than the national champion being voted on by coaches or mediots. It should have always been determinded in the field of play not on paper.

jimmy40

Reaction score
So how long should the same committee be allowed to stay? Is this going to be like the Supreme Court? And for God's sake give us 8 teams so maybe we can get the teams playing the best at the end of the year (USC much better than Washington) and conference champs(OU/Penn State), two more games that actually mean something and one less week of this stupid layoff.

ghst187

Reaction score
this season has been so boring,knowing alabama is going to steamroll towards a 5th title in 8 years in kinda disheartening.

Yep although it's getting to the point that this is the situation every year. Even if someone actually upsets Alabama, rest assured that Alabama will still make their way into the CFP. It's really ruined CFB for me. Considering how scandalous it is and colleges get tax dollars I wouldn't be opposed to new rules limiting salaries of coaches, recruiting, and whatnot to bring in some parity. This view is in stark contrast to all my other political views on government intervention but it does irk me that college football coaches make millions, heck the UM offensive coordinator now makes a million people year. Sure they bring in money to the school, great! They don't need tax dollars then and they can do more to cost control so half the country stops graduating with 100k in student loan debt. There's something wrong when the highest paid federal employee is a football coach. If they want to make money ...go to the pros... there are tons of crappy coaches and coordinators there that need replaced.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Ohio State looked like crap against Michigan State and Michigan, too bad the committee guaranteed them a spot with 3 weeks left in the season.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Excited for the game today. What many believe to be the best QB prospect since Luck will be showing if he's the real deal.