Twitter: 2021 salary cap set at 182.5 million

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
With alot of teams trying to get under the cap, there will be alot talented bargains in FA this year. Like someone else said, it's a buyers market since FA's don't have much leverage...

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don't know if you're being sarcastic but it honestly is. If you are a bargain shopper and the economy is down(salary cap)....if you do it right, you can come out of this with some gems.

Hell no........I'm for real (LOL)
In other words, some damn good players are likely getting cut. I doubt most wanna sign any long-term deals since the cap will retreat to some normalcy next year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Get ready for a lot of restructured deals league wide. As well some decent players will still hit the FA market, without costing against the comp pick formula.

Will McClay has probably already been on top of the possibilities.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
Ironically not signing Dak last year and waiting until now is probably going to help us significantly more since his contract is now able to be structured to accommodate the lower cap this year. Once the new TV deal money kicks in we may actually never be in cap Hell because of Dak because the cap will skyrocket. Had they signed him last year the big money would be hitting now and we'd be in a much worse place.

We'll have plenty of money to work with in free agency and probably able to get alot of great one year deals on some good defensive vets that we can hopefully retain 1 or 2 of in 2022.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That $2.5 million is roughly all that the Cowboys have in current cap space.

No free agency for us this year.

That may be a good thing. :muttley:

No more Dix, Worley, Poe and others. We lose players, get 4 comp picks. As the draft is really the way to go.
Oh I am sure after some restructuring, they can sign some of their own, as well a few low level FA's as gap fillers.
But as we all know, it still comes down to the draft.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Get ready for a lot of restructured deals league wide. As well some decent players will still hit the FA market, without costing against the comp pick formula.

Will McClay has probably already been on top of the possibilities.

Remember reading an article a few years where the writer interviewed a former NFL scouts/personnel. It was interesting he mentioned all GMs have a pro scout and his job is to keep an updated list of every NFL player's contract. The scout will them broke down by duration, players ages, playing time, performance, and so on. In other words, any given week or day he could project the certain players/ position availability.

So yes I'm sure McClay and MM are well aware of who likely getting cut........

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That may be a good thing. :muttley:

No more Dix, Worley, Poe and others. We lose players, get 4 comp picks. As the draft is really the way to go.
Oh I am sure after some restructuring, they can sign some of their own, as well a few low level FA's as gap fillers.
But as we all know, it still comes down to the draft.

Yeah. Based on recent free agent moves, I’m not sure it’s a bad thing for this team to sit out.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would love for the draft to be, before free agency.