Twitter: 2021 salary cap set at 182.5 million

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You all got what you wanted.

Rejoice.

Better hope Dak can carry.

Dak still has OL in tact and should be healthy heading into the season, he has the RB in Zeke and Pollard both under contract and Jarwin returning and the emergence of Shultz last season and 3 WR who are excellent. Dak has no control over defense that falls to Quinn to get much more out of these players on defensive side. Getting carried away with the Dak has to carry, Dak is getting 22 mill on the cap this year as opposed to 31 mill last season and much less than the 37 we would have been hit with had Dalllas tagged him this season.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
In theory the cap should make coaching more important as the talent is spread out across the league.
That's a good point however, if a team has several high end players The top 51 are going to have less talent. There is a great deal of film watched each week. That coach better be really good.

I wish there was a mid level cap and when you reach it that's it if you want to play the position. I can't imagine a world where someone would need 160mil to provide for their family and make it through life. I guess i'm just a simple man.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
According to this, our top 51 contracts take up $198.9M of the cap, which would leave us with $9M available before any cuts or restructures.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/

Yes. Cutting Chris Jones adds $2 million. Restructuring Lawrence would add at least $10 million. Restructuring Cooper would add close to $15 million. Think we could do any business with $35 to $36 million?

Resigning our free agents worth keeping should cost about $10 million to $15 million, depending on how many we bring back. The draft pool will be about $10 million. However, because of the rule of 51, the cap space needed will be less than that (each draft pick will replace a player currently counting against the 51).

So with those three moves, Dallas would have up to $16 million to spend on outside free agents. And there are two or three other players we could easily restructure.

coult44

Reaction score
The league is becoming much more about this side than coaching. I don't care how good a coach you have Jameill Showers is just not going to be an all pro.

No, it’s going to force players who want to play to be paid less. Or they will be on the street

aria

Reaction score
I don't know if you're being sarcastic but it honestly is. If you are a bargain shopper and the economy is down(salary cap)....if you do it right, you can come out of this with some gems.
Why do you need to bargain shop? You said the salary cap is fictional and has no real consequences. According to you, we can sign anyone we want. Seems like you’re already flipping your stance.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys are in a unique position to be one of the few teams that can afford the better FA talent out there. Now we just have to hope the FO goes after it. Fix our holes all over the roster.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why do you need to bargain shop? You said the salary cap is fictional and has no real consequences. According to you, we can sign anyone we want. Seems like you’re already flipping your stance.

You are in grown folks business again Aria......

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
Dallas is actually in pretty good shape. Not great, but decent. The biggest concern is that restructuring Lawrence's contract again is going to turn him into an albatross next year, but we're a couple of years away from being able to replace him anyway.

Check this out: if you restructure Jaylon (guaranteed salary anyway) and Tyron (for a last chance "prove it" year), you're still in position to designate them June 1st cuts next year and still SAVE money against the cap. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it's actually one of the smartest ways to clear cap space. They get one more year to prove they are worth their contracts, and if not, the team can safely walk away.

Now, compare that to restructuring Amari and Zeke. You lose WAY more flexibility as soon as you do that, including the ability to trade them anytime after June this year and walk away without much damage. You also can't cut them next year even if you wanted to.

If it were me, I would bite the bullet on Lawrence, whose salary is guaranteed anyway, then I'd restructure Jaylon and Tyron, cut Chris Jones, and designate Anthony Brown a June 1st cut. You are going to be able to pick up a couple of Browns on vet minimum contracts in free agency this year. There's absolutely no reason to keep him at his current salary.

But wait, there's more. Making those moves gives you enough cap space to sign KJ Wright, Richard Sherman, and a middle-caliber starting DT (McCoy?), PLUS have a little bit left over to address some other spots before the draft.

They could turn this thing around pretty quickly if they're smart about it, without even jeopardizing future years.

Redline360

Reaction score
I have as much faith in Jennifer Aniston agreeing to go on a date with me as I do with Jerry in FA. Bargain bin shopping and guys at the end of their careers with nothing left in the tank to make an extra pay check

Which is zero

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Okay so with the carry over the Cowboys sit at 20.7 under the cap as of NOW. If they restructured Dlaw, Cooper, Martin they could have as much as 56. Million to spend. The draft class will be about 9 million. They could sign anyone they want. Will they? Probably not, Jerry’s son is so damn cheap.

dogberry

Reaction score
Rookie pool for us is about $2.3 million. Maybe less because we have 6 players at the bottom of the 51 who make $780,000.

Good cheap players will go to playoff teams?

Should we follow the lead of some militaries, reinforce our strongest unit, the offense? Make it possible for us to score over 50 points a game, and hope the other team’s offense will mess up three times a game.

Over the cap has our ‘21 cap available as $834,000.

How much will league rules allow us to push spending into the future?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Okay so with the carry over the Cowboys sit at 20.7 under the cap as of NOW. If they restructured Dlaw, Cooper, Martin they could have as much as 56. Million to spend. The draft class will be about 9 million. They could sign anyone they want. Will they? Probably not, Jerry’s son is so damn cheap.

Wrong, when adding basic minimum wage to add up to the 51 man squad we sit between $0.8m - $3m under.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
no bargain shopping. we need to just focus on draft, allow quinn to install his system, see what we have, what we need and then go to FA next year and sign a couple of players perhaps....this defense is either 7 or 8 players away and its not a one year fix or it was bad scheme and they are better than they showed. no shopping until we know who fits, who doesn't

We'll have to restructure contracts to even afford to sign our first round pick.

Go look at the 2022 CAP projections, even with a CAP of $209m (SPOTRAC projection) we are below a million under.

We wont be signing free agents (above league minimum) in 2022.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

So this means the salary cap will explode in 2022? The owners seem be getting away with hoarding money. They could give the cap a 15 million dollar loan spread out to 5 million for the next 3 seasons.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We'll have to restructure contracts to even afford to sign our first round pick.

Go look at the 2022 CAP projections, even with a CAP of $209m (SPOTRAC projection) we are below a million under.

We wont be signing free agents (above league minimum) in 2022.
like I said, I don't want to sign anyone in 2021, with cap at 182.5....we don't need anyone offensively. we need defense and that has to come through the draft. and allow Quinn to install his system and see where we are. we can structure one contract and have cap space for draftees...

and that's a projection, and I think it may go higher than that once the covid stuff is over and be back where it was, plus TV contract renegotiations are coming, so 2023 will have much more room.

the restructuring of contracts is done by all 32 teams. its normal way of working the cap for all.

and there will more cap room in 2022 than you think....like I said, easily resturcting can open tons of cap room enough to sing and they can be structured such that it pushes money to 2023, 2024....not that hard. ala Dak's contract is avgt 40M but his cap hit this year is 22M......

plus, I don't think we should/could build through FA....it has to come through draft, the core has to come through draft like all other teams, like our offense....if we don't draft well defensively, even 50M cap space can't help us.