26 penalties last night tied last years total already

WhizKid

Reaction score
There were a handful of bad calls as usual but overall I think it was just sloppy football.
On the positive side, the helmet rule everyone was freaking out about wasn’t an issue

The helmet rule will be a issue towards the end of the season in some very important game for playoff hopes.
george_zimmer_guarantee.jpg

CWR

Reaction score
The official blew a couple big ones last night, that I saw.

The long pass to Julio was a damn catch, they still cant get it right.

There was a hit on Foles that was about as clean as can be done and they flagged it as well.

We finally have our rushmen and wouldn't u know it these damn officials are gonna be looking to throw a flag every time we get near the QB.

We could've used this BS rule when we had a beat up Romo and no pass rush smh.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Did anyone else think that was a catch by Jones.

I didn't see the game but looked up that no-catch when you mentioned this since I've debated the Dez no-catch thoroughly. The reverse angle is best of course, and here's a good slow motion video:

You can actually click on the video player quickly in succession to pause the video in place. I think I can see why they might have called this a no-catch. What I see is that Jones bobbled the ball all the way to the ground and the ball was shifting almost the entire time. There was a point where Jones actually had both hands on the ball securely but the defender's foot kicked one of the hands off the ball and then Jones had to re-secure the ball with 2 hands. By that time he had slid out of bounds.

The new catch rule (without the going to the ground rule trumping the 3-part process anymore) is just control, 2 feet, and football move or "time enough" for one. This replay is in super slow motion. The actual time Jones had the ball secured is much less than shown here. I think if he had secured it even after the first bobble (and before he hits the ground) I think they'd have called it a catch, but because control was always in doubt until the very end, the 3rd part of the 3-part rule could never begin to kick in until that one split-second instance and I don't think they considered it "time enough" before the ball moved yet again. It was called incomplete on the field and replay evidence was not enough to reverse it, IMO. If he doesn't slide out of bounds, this is a catch once he re-secures the ball without it touching the ground, of course.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Last night was pretty bad...

NFL needs to get control of this... this isn’t exciting football and having quite a few more games like this during the season will turn a lot of people off

I agree. That was absolutely DREADFUL. Worse yet, the game last night was BORING with all the penalties, and I can't blame the Eagles fans that were booing last night with the ridiculous penalties. The product of the match last night was absolutely poor. I strongly hope that this isn't how this season continues.

Batman1980

Reaction score
As bad as the penalties were, the game no doubt would've been helped with better than shoddy QB play.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The first few games of the year are usually ugly especially the first one. It's not only the teams that need to get into a rhythm so do the refs.

I understand that, but 26 penalties? That's a lot of penalties. I don't even see that many fouls and offsides called in English football. Blimey, that was dreadful!

Reactions: CWR

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It definitely was. He cradled it on his shoulder well before going out of bounds. I'm not biased as a Julio Jones fantasy owner or anything though.

Yes, and if that's not a catch, then we have a SERIOUS problem. I have a really bad feeling that call will happen to us at some point this season during a critical juncture.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Their DBs need to get on the Jugs machine. There were several passes that should have been intercepted. I really hope that all the work our guys have put in on turnovers pays off.

I hope so as well. Though, as far as the Falcons DBs go, I'm not all that fussed about them getting their act together, especially as we're playing them later this year. In fact, the more dreadful they are at intercepting passes the better as far as I'm concerned until we're eliminated.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
The penalties were a problem, but the biggest problem for the viewer was that both teams sucked.
Both teams have really good defenses and defense are usually ahead of offenses early in the season. I hate Philly, but they don’t suck. I wish we would have added Bennett to our front 4, not Ash!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the Ratings were down again ...... another 8% drop for the 3rd straight year
Yes and that's going to alarm both the league and nets because all of the flags and stop downs weren't to blame because the decline was from the get go. Weather delay will be used as an excuse but I am not buying that but it is still only one game, I will be interested in how the opening weekend does.

One of the measures they will be focusing on a lot is the tune in/tune out during the games and I'd bet with the late start and stop downs on that game, it was one of the worst in the past several years. That is one of the measures agencies have used for night games since they had those late starts on MNF to accommodate the Mtn/Pac time zones.

But even by the usual standards for opening weekend, that was a terrible opening game and the pretend season was not used to get them ready for opening night but I can't blame coaches for that. Their owners want the pretend game money but won't hesitate to fire them if they fail because of losing players in meaningless games.

Except for a couple of games, the college opening weekend was pretty sloppy as well.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I actually fell asleep in the 3rd and I had Matt Ryan as Fantasy QB and was playing against DFreeman

It was the main reason I was even watching
Gawd bless ya man lol..wow...I feel for you. Last year I had Ryan as my fantasy QB..he let me down week after week pretty much. This year I took a different approach. I went wr and rb first back to back then instead of drafting a guy like Ryan in round 3 or 4, I took Tevin Coleman.Glad I did. I slightly overdrafted Russell Wilson, but I like the fact he can get points in multiple ways and I didn't need to draft him super high. I did draft Julio Jones in round 1..I felt he could be a guy that carries my fantasy team on his back this year. If last night is any indicator, I did well. Was the reason I even watched..he and Coleman...plus I hate the iggles with a passion lol...The refs jobbed them out of the win. Good ole home cookin from the refs.