Drafted by Cowboys 2nd Round - Pick 58 - TE Luke Schoonmaker (Michigan)

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Just going off this clip....

Decent hands...Doesn't drop the football. Scheme seems to get him open...rather than him getting seperation on his own. Don't see him blocking as much as you would think he does. Looks the part....but does seem to go down a lot on first contact....even for a big guy. You would think with his size he would break a few tackles....not the case. Getting him in the 2nd round was a little rich....but it was late in the late 2nd....if you waited until the 3rd....board is probably picked over. Age is a concern....probably just a one contract guy.

McMicah

Reaction score
Can’t put my finger on this guy. He’s athletic as hell. He seems like a really solid blocker, and he seems really good a sitting in zones and being deceptive in releases. Seems very intelligent, but….when he gets the football in his hands he looks like a high schooler. Like Jason Witten in his last year seems to make guys miss more than this kid.

I love him as a #2 TE, just not our premier one

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
has anyone posted Voch Lombardi's cutups of him run blocking?

Really answers the question of "what can this guy do that our TE cannot already do?" pretty well.

Jipper

Reaction score
This is the pick I wish we could have changed...we forced it....good blocker and hands but he's got an antiquated skill set

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Pretty underwhelming production in college but maybe he has untapped potential. I don't know anything about him but you kinda wish for more with a 2nd round pick. The guy the Bills took before Dallas literally has 2 years of production better than this guy's entire college career. Not saying I would have taken him in the 1st because I wanted no part of a TE early on (I think Dallas has enough at that position to get by) but 54 catches over the course of 3 seasons of playing is not impressive.

Who knows, he has that sort of crazy Kittle look in the eyes going for him so maybe he just needs to be given a chance.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Really answers the question of "what can this guy do that our TE cannot already do?" pretty well.
He definitely adds versatility in how he can execute blocks from different alignments and angles. We'll have to see if his impressive athletic numbers will allow him to be a bigger receiving threat at the pro level.

CashMan

Reaction score
Just going off this clip....

Decent hands...Doesn't drop the football. Scheme seems to get him open...rather than him getting seperation on his own. Don't see him blocking as much as you would think he does. Looks the part....but does seem to go down a lot on first contact....even for a big guy. You would think with his size he would break a few tackles....not the case. Getting him in the 2nd round was a little rich....but it was late in the late 2nd....if you waited until the 3rd....board is probably picked over. Age is a concern....probably just a one contract guy.
It's not so much about him as a player with this pick, it was what was left on the board. You have 2 capable TEs on the roster that could start, and you had a chance of picking a starting guard with that 2nd rd pick.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
It's not so much about him as a player with this pick, it was what was left on the board. You have 2 capable TEs on the roster that could start, and you had a chance of picking a starting guard with that 2nd rd pick.
The fans believe this but clearly the coaching staff doesn't share that belief. You're not hunting TEs in the 1st/2nd rounds, if you already have 2 TEs who can start and adequately execute the game plan. I think they like both Ferguson and Hendershot in complimentary roles.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The fans believe this but clearly the coaching staff doesn't share that belief. You're not hunting TEs in the 1st/2nd rounds, if you already have 2 TEs who can start and adequately execute the game plan. I think they like both Ferguson and Hendershot in complimentary roles.
Bingo.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I felt Ferguson was a very good run blocker last year.

Reactions: CWR

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't know. I think we have a case where we don't know to what extent those two tight ends can contribute, so we wanted to up our chances of being able to at least replace what we lost in Schultz. There's no way we wanted to go into the preseason and find out that Ferguson and Hendershot are just backups without having a starting option.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I still don't like this pick.

But I am intrigued by how well he runs. He's got some real explosion.

I just wonder why he wasn't used more. Bad QB? Or is he a bad route runner?
I think it’s due to the system he played in.

1. Poor QB play.

2. Michigan runs an old school, run heavy system. He was asked to block and block A LOT. Michigan’s passing game as a whole was bad.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Sounds like he’s a good blocker and has good hands, but;

• Waits on the throw rather than reaching to attack it.
  • Low rate of success when catching in a crowd.
  • Only able to take what is given after the catch.
So subpar on contested passes and no yards after catch. Basically a blocker and possession TE, if he is open.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Sounds like he’s a good blocker and has good hands, but;

• Waits on the throw rather than reaching to attack it.
  • Low rate of success when catching in a crowd.
  • Only able to take what is given after the catch.
So subpar on contested passes and no yards after catch. Basically a blocker and possession TE, if he is open.
If the guy is fast and quick enough to get 8 yards down field, I'll take those possessions. Thats all Shultz did. And he was half the blocker Schoon is.