Drafted by Cowboys 2nd Round - Pick 58 - TE Luke Schoonmaker (Michigan)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Harbaugh emphasizes running the ball. I doubt he would have been a starter or seen the field much at Michigan if he wasn't a proficient blocker.
I just wish we had some amazing RAC to look at with this player.

Especially considering he’s such a beast athlete.

I wish he was a little more Musgrave looking because he tests like he’s that kind of player.

He’s definitely a big fluid target though and can block.

I like the player.. I don’t see any way he busts.

Just question whether or not we needed him with pick 58….

Sydla

Reaction score
He is a better blocker and athlete though.

Mayer went about where he should have. Dude got overrated during the draft process and fortunately for all of you I identified it for all of you.

Thanks CATCH…
Mayer went what, 35th? 9 spots behind the 26th pick. Not exactly a massive drop for a guy you said shouldn't be picked at 26. Definitely not more than taking a TE, you like, almost a full round before he likely would have gone. In fairness, you did question the value of Schoonmaker at 58.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I don't get this pick at all. I think the guys we already have are better. I really thought they'd go with an OL or LB here. Hopefully they know something about this guy we don't.
The OL that went right after us is who we should've picked. First round talent. This pick was trash. Rarely say that.

kevm3

Reaction score
The OL that went right after us is who we should've picked. First round talent. This pick was trash. Rarely say that.
Exactly. could have shored up our o line and likely STILL could have grabbed this guy in the 3rd. We just spent premium resources on what is likely to be a one contract player. He's almost going to be 30 when his contract is up.

CampJR

Reaction score
He can definitely block but the Cowboys keep saying he’s the best blocking TE.

Darnell Washington was far and away the best blocking TE regardless of what the Cowboys tell you.

Now Schoonmaker might be a better move blocker but 1 v 1 there is no comparison between him and Washington.
Washington is just another marcedes lewis with a bad leg or whatever. There is a reason he is slipping..

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I'm not against the player, seems to have a nice skillset, but he's not going to have the same immediate impact that Torrence would have had. Torrence is a day one starter and he'll be there for a decade. Schoon is not an elite talent, he won't be starting immediately and he's not that much of an improvement over what we already have at that position to take him over Torrence.

ICP

Reaction score
Exactly. could have shored up our o line and likely STILL could have grabbed this guy in the 3rd. We just spent premium resources on what is likely to be a one contract player. He's almost going to be 30 when his contract is up.
Agreed, this front office just can't seem to not reach in the 2nd round

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not against the player, seems to have a nice skillset, but he's not going to have the same immediate impact that Torrence would have had. Torrence is a day one starter and he'll be there for a decade. Schoon is not an elite talent, he won't be starting immediately and he's not that much of an improvement over what we already have at that position to take him over Torrence.
send your resume through Linkeden, id like to compare your Pro football scouting experience over MM, DQ, Will Mcclay and a scouting department. please show me how you know this to be true... "day one starter for decade", really, thats a lock hUH?? right

same stuff was said last offseason no one like Tyler as starter was labeled a project a reach, sam Williams no one seemed happy , the draft ended up above solid..ill trust them over you or the zone or SM feedback all day every day.

garyv

Reaction score

I wanted O'Cyrus Torrence but did see a report saying he slipped because several teams have questioned his work ethic and question how coach able he really is about listening.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy said Schoonmaker will play all of their tight end spots, something he showed he was capable of while playing in Michigan’s pro-style offense.

“The thing I really liked about Luke is he’s very, very well-rounded,” McCarthy said. “We like everything about him, his physical traits. He has the ability to play the Y position, off the ball. He has done the insert schemes, is what we call them, keep the tackle on the ends and insert on the linebackers.

“He runs better than probably we give him credit for. His vertical presence, we think we can really build off of that. Very, very well-rounded. And that’s what you’re looking for. As a play caller and a game-plan designer, these tight ends give you the chance to get in and out of different personnel groups and stay creative, be able to attack both in the one-back, two-back and no-back offense.”

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
send your resume through Linkeden, id like to compare your Pro football scouting experience over MM, DQ, Will Mcclay and a scouting department. please show me how you know this to be true... "day one starter for decade", really, thats a lock hUH?? right

same stuff was said last offseason no one like Tyler as starter was labeled a project a reach, sam Williams no one seemed happy , the draft ended up above solid..ill trust them over you or the zone or SM feedback all day every day.
I liked both those picks last year, but did not like taking Schoon over Torrence. I'd rather take a player that can cement the center of the OL, where we have little depth. If Torrence was already off the board, I'd probably be more willing to take a wait and see attitude, but TE is not as pressing a need with what we already have on the roster.

Quit acting like their draft picks have been infallible, especially in the 2nd round.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I liked both those picks last year, but did not like taking Schoon over Torrence. I'd rather take a player that can cement the center of the OL, where we have little depth. If Torrence was already off the board, I'd probably be more willing to take a wait and see attitude, but TE is not as pressing a need with what we already have on the roster.

Quit acting like their draft picks have been infallible, especially in the 2nd round.
you have zero choice but to take the wait and see attitude bruh..i mean you are fan, watch, don't watch , you have zero control , accept that and this is an easier way to be a fan. you are not a Pro scout you ahve no validity over our PRO staff , sorry, its a fact accept it ,there's good reason they picked who they picked. It is what it is.

last years offseason was deemed giant failure "historically bad offseason " was the mantra yet we went 12-5 and 2nd round even after losing players all over the OL, QB and 2 starters at CB..appreranty the FO put together a good starting 22 but even more important DEPTH.

IMHO we are better now then game 1 last year..and its not done.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I just wish we had some amazing RAC to look at with this player.

Especially considering he’s such a beast athlete.

I wish he was a little more Musgrave looking because he tests like he’s that kind of player.

He’s definitely a big fluid target though and can block.

I like the player.. I don’t see any way he busts.

Just question whether or not we needed him with pick 58….
He will be a guy thats it. We let dalton schultz walk to draft dalton schultz

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
you have zero choice but to take the wait and see attitude bruh..i mean you are fan, watch, don't watch , you have zero control , accept that and this is an easier way to be a fan. you are not a Pro scout you ahve no validity over our PRO staff , sorry, its a fact accept it ,there's good reason they picked who they picked. It is what it is.

last years offseason was deemed giant failure "historically bad offseason " was the mantra yet we went 12-5 and 2nd round even after losing players all over the OL, QB and 2 starters at CB..appreranty the FO put together a good starting 22 but even more important DEPTH.

IMHO we are better now then game 1 last year..and its not done.
You do get this forum is founded on opinions from fans, right? Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I have to like every decision they make or that they had a "good" reason, just because they had a reason doesn't mean it was a good one or the right one, it remains to be seen.

I think we're having a better off-season than last year, thought we would win the division though. Last year I didn't like we didn't have enough OL depth and didn't sign/trade for an experienced WR, Washington didn't count.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I don't get this pick at all. I think the guys we already have are better. I really thought they'd go with an OL or LB here. Hopefully they know something about this guy we don't.
Personally, I thought the Cowboys were sitting dam good with the two TEs they currently have and after drafting this dude my opinion hasn't changed. I believe this dude is what you call in the dating seen as a THIRD WHEEL..................