Drafted by Cowboys 2nd Round - Pick 58 - TE Luke Schoonmaker (Michigan)

plasticman

Reaction score
Look, I'm no draft fanatic. I don't go deep into analyzing college careers. Therefore, I can't claim any deep convictions when it comes to the Cowboys selections. Plus, I have to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point in time. Recently, they seem to have done very well. They've had a couple of glitches but the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Still......

I thought that the Cowboys were going to focus more on the running game next season. Wouldn't that require an upgrade at LG and RB?

I get the TE, Schoonmaker. he a good blocking TE. I get Mazi Smith. the only upgrade we need more that the two previously mentioned is D-line interior against the run. Good pick, now that think about it some more.

However,

Pollard can't do it alone and I thought that Jerry would have learned by now that you just can't throw anybody in there to run the ball. With all the Curvin Richards and Derrick Lassics and Joseph Randles that have come through this franchise, surely he understands that!

I thought we were trying to find an upgrade to the LG position. Right now, we barely have a warm body and that isn't likely to improve with a day #3 pick.

So, I admit, I'm somewhat confused. What happened to focusing on a more relevant running game?

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
He’s a better version of Schultz who can block. Is it a little rich? Sure, but he’s going to be productive.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
They just couldn’t resist.

Know nothing about him but hoping it works out.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
The problem with this pick is that you can't take on projects when you must win the Super Bowl with your draft picks. Since Jerry will never go all-in on free agency, you can't whiff on a 2nd round pick like we just did. You don't get luxury picks when you are ineffective in FA.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The problem with this pick is that you can't take on projects when you must win the Super Bowl with your draft picks. Since Jerry will never go all-in on free agency, you can't whiff on a 2nd round pick like we just did. You don't get luxury picks when you are ineffective in FA.
He's not a project. He started for more than 4 years because of the viral thing. He played in one of the most prostyle systems in the NCAA.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
The worst thing about this pick, you passed on a better QB than Dak yet again in Hooker and the Giants got Jalin Hyatt.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Better athlete than first thought but the pick leaves a lot to be desired. Will turn 25 this year, so would get a 2nd contract at 29?

That's it.
Much like Pick1, it's the Freak Factor.
Jerry loves the freaks.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Thought we were going after OL this round.

He graded out high but he seems to be more of a project from what I've been reading. Has the skills though
I would have been happier with interior oline, but the rare freak factor makes me happier about this guy.
Me and Jerry like the athletic freaks. Upside.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
From Bruce Feldman

"Very impressive numbers from Michigan TE Luke Schoonmaker at UM Pro Day. At over 6-5, 252, his 3-Cone time was 6.81. That was faster than every TE ran in Indy and only one WR or RB at the Combine (Jaxon Smith-Njigba) was quicker.
Super Freak.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I have high hopes for both Ferguson and Hendershot, but still believed that we needed to take a tight end in the first four rounds because those hopes might not pan out. I think among these three we can at least find one that can match what we got from Schultz, which wasn't terrible (around the top 10 in yards and catches). May not have a Kittle or Kelce but there are few of those.
I woulda rolled with Ferguson. Gotta take advantage of potential starters on the cheap.
Didnt follow the draft today, so don't know what was left, but I probably would have been happier with interior oline, particularly C/G.

Reaction score
We wasted a 2nd for a backup TE. Cool.
Nice!!! Best blocking TE in the draft and in his prime at 24 years of age! Leggo COWBOYS
They did say they wanted to commit to the running game and a solid blocking TE is part of that. I'd rather they picked a center or guard but maybe this is where the value is at... Or McCarthy getting the TE he wanted in the first.

Reactions: CWR

Carter

Reaction score
As a Michigan Wolverine i cant hate but i had a bottom 3rd on him. Hes also Like 25 and i dont Like old rookies that already in their Prime before they become pro