3 things that folks missed about Parsons

kskboys

Reaction score
I never thought Prescott would slip to us, either. Sometimes football experts get it completely wrong and I admit I did too. I thought he was just another linebacker and one who quit on his team because of coronavirus. One of those times I'm 100% happy to be wrong about something.
I dug into that. The conference cancelled the season, so he took money. From an advertiser, I think. So, when they decided not to cancel the season, he could not pay the money back, so he wasn't allowed to play.

kskboys

Reaction score
If we can not get excited about a player or team there is no reason to be a fan Taking up speed ironing or tidily winks would be a nice alternative for some.
It appears that some have their little thingie ready to say "Let's not get excited yet" and say it no matter what whenever they get a chance.

Pokes12

Reaction score
1. Pass rushing potential- I thought Parsons was the best defensive player in the draft. But even I didn’t see his potential as a pass rusher. I could see the potential as a blitzer. But I didn’t envision what we’ve seen so far. I see a skill set that can really be developed.

2. Intelligence- The character concerns are what we heard about. No one talks about how smart this kid is. His ability to absorb all that has been thrown at him is impressive. Very few rookies are asked to do what he’s done and excel. This ability is going to serve him well going forward.

3.Motor- He wasn’t considered lazy but no one called him relentless. And that’s what he is. When you have elite talent, intelligence, and motor you generally get a special player

Some laughed when it was said this is a kid that you can build a defense around. Not so much laughing now. You don’t get this talent often. Hope we don’t waste it.
What an advantage, to have a player the other team needs to game plan around. It will elevate all the other defenders when the offense keys on stopping Micah.

Majic

Reaction score
1. Pass rushing potential- I thought Parsons was the best defensive player in the draft. But even I didn’t see his potential as a pass rusher. I could see the potential as a blitzer. But I didn’t envision what we’ve seen so far. I see a skill set that can really be developed.

2. Intelligence- The character concerns are what we heard about. No one talks about how smart this kid is. His ability to absorb all that has been thrown at him is impressive. Very few rookies are asked to do what he’s done and excel. This ability is going to serve him well going forward.

3.Motor- He wasn’t considered lazy but no one called him relentless. And that’s what he is. When you have elite talent, intelligence, and motor you generally get a special player

Some laughed when it was said this is a kid that you can build a defense around. Not so much laughing now. You don’t get this talent often. Hope we don’t waste it.

With regard to 1. Ross Tucker (former journeyman OL including the Cowboys) said on his podcast around the time of the draft that Micah was the best pass rusher he had ever seen at high school level. How could scouts miss that?

kskboys

Reaction score
What's the shelf life on anointing oil? I think there's still some left from Rico Gathers
See, and that's where the disconnect comes in on the anointing thing. Rico was never worth anointing. Everything about Parsons screams that he's ready to be anointed!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
With regard to 1. Ross Tucker (former journeyman OL including the Cowboys) said on his podcast around the time of the draft that Micah was the best pass rusher he had ever seen at high school level. How could scouts miss that?
And then add in his physical skillset, and his pass rush ability becomes blatantly obvious. Sheds blocks and has extreme agility and speed and burst. It would actually be shocking if he wasn't a good pass rusher.

kskboys

Reaction score
Parsons had 5 sacks and 14 tackles for loss his last year in college. His pass rush ability was not some hidden secret.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I never wanted Pitts. We have a good TE tandem in Jarwin and Schultz, Pitts would've been a luxury pick and not one worth getting with so many holes on defense.

So may point doesnt apply to your good self. It was directed at those that only watch the game when we have the ball and tend to cry out and insist we continue to draft and strengthen the Offense using 'possible O-Line injuries', 'what if scenario's' and decry Defensive players t further their point.

The only negative, if there was even one in the first place was in connection to some initiation ceremony (which he may of been involved with, but never charged with) ......an issue that was highlighted by the naysayers (along with the - never draft a LB in Round 1).

As ability goes he was seen as the best defensive player in the draft, regardless of whether he opted out of 2020 or not.

My point is that the OP mentions 3 things that were 'missed'.....nothing was missed, though some may have ignored them as they preferred other players/positions.

For the record I was wrong, I would have taken Surtain over him....doh.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
So may point doesnt apply to your good self. It was directed at those that only watch the game when we have the ball and tend to cry out and insist we continue to draft and strengthen the Offense using 'possible O-Line injuries', 'what if scenario's' and decry Defensive players t further their point.

The only negative, if there was even one in the first place was in connection to some initiation ceremony (which he may of been involved with, but never charged with) ......an issue that was highlighted by the naysayers (along with the - never draft a LB in Round 1).

As ability goes he was seen as the best defensive player in the draft, regardless of whether he opted out of 2020 or not.

My point is that the OP mentions 3 things that were 'missed'.....nothing was missed, though some may have ignored them as they preferred other players/positions.

For the record I was wrong, I would have taken Surtain over him....doh.
Surtain and Horn look to be the real deal. But not at this kid’s level.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I personally want to thank from the bottom of my heart every team that drafted a corner before JJ and Co took Parsons at 12 in the NFL Draft. I can see all those Owners, GM's and Coaches laughing it up in their war room thinking that they stuck it to the Cowboys by emptying the board of quality corners, well boys it appears that the joke is one you........ha-haaaaa!!!!!!!!!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The qualities and talent were there but the intangibles were missed IMO. We got lucky that he fell right into our laps.

The greater factor, rather than Micah falling, was that Horn and Surtain were were off the board. Most mocks (and his rating) had him still available when we drafted. As I said the only negatives were the off-field hazing and possibly opting out 2020.

Either way we came out of it the winner.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I'm pissed that we traded our 1st and 2nd just to get Claiborne.

We missed out in drafting Bobby Magner and Michael Brockers because of it.

If Parsons is anything near what Bobby Wagner is, I'll take that any day of the week.
I believe the Cowboys drafted Gholston with the 3rd round pick from the Eagles. The Cowboys basically traded a small wide receiver for two Dawgs. Rumor is Gholston was supposedly the best of the young defensive linemen coming into training camp. I wonder if his emergence is the reason Parsons is going back to middle linebacker.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Rookie of the year, Prescott comeback player of the year. Diggs defensive player of the year

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If people missed anything about him, they didn't watch him in 2019 or 2018 when he set the Penn St. record for tackles by a freshman.

He was a force and had he played in 2020, no way the Cowboys get him at 12, he goes first outside of QB's.