#34 Darius Jackson

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not sure I would say Jackson would take DMac job but I could see Dunbar losing his. I think that backup stop to Zeke comes down to Morris vs Dmac and I think Morris is a bit more physical back than DMac. We will see how it plays out. I doubt Cowboys keep 4 HB

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Their defense took the running game away from us.

With our OL there was no excuse for our lead back to have 11 yards on 10 carries. What happened in that game along with McFadden's 1.9 a carry on 17 carries vs Tampa is a big part of the reason we drafted Zeke.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
With our OL there was no excuse for our lead back to have 11 yards on 10 carries. What happened in that game along with McFadden's 1.9 a carry on 17 carries vs Tampa is a big part of the reason we drafted Zeke.

That could be true but the problem with that is that there is no guarantee that Zeke could win that game for us either. In fact, under the same circumstances, I'd say that the chances are good that he couldn't. That's kind of what I'm trying to say. That's the expectation that I'm seeing from the fan base. That's not really a good thing. JMO

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That could be true but the problem with that is that there is no guarantee that Zeke could win that game for us either. In fact, under the same circumstances, I'd say that the chances are good that he couldn't. That's kind of what I'm trying to say. That's the expectation that I'm seeing from the fan base. That's not really a good thing. JMO

Not saying a better back or rushing performance would have won it but it might have kept Romo from pressing and being re injured. Behind our OL that had 3 pro bowlers I can't see Zeke gaining only 10 yards on 11 carries that's beyond pathetic.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not saying a better back or rushing performance would have won it but it might have kept Romo from pressing and being re injured. Behind our OL that had 3 pro bowlers I can't see Zeke gaining only 10 yards on 11 carries that's beyond pathetic.

A good defense will stop a one dimensional offense. The other side gets paid as well and they are good at what they do. The game plan was to force Romo to win it. That means that Carolina was going to stop DMac. It was always going to be on Tony. For us to win that game, we had to make the Panthers play honestly and we could not do that. It is what it is.

dallasdave

Reaction score
A good defense will stop a one dimensional offense. The other side gets paid as well and they are good at what they do. The game plan was to force Romo to win it. That means that Carolina was going to stop DMac. It was always going to be on Tony. For us to win that game, we had to make the Panthers play honestly and we could not do that. It is what it is.

Very true !!!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

We were one dimensional because we had no resemblance of a running game. We had a lot of the same problems the first couple of weeks of the season but the Giants and Philly weren't nearly as good as Carolina. We had issues running the ball and getting the ball to our WRs in the first couple of games which is why Dunbar was our leading receiver. With arguably the best OL in football there was no excuse for our lead back to only gain 10 yards on 11 carries. Not once in 2014 did Murray come close to getting shutdown the way McFadden did vs Carolina and opponents were bent all season to try and stop Murray. Although Carolina had a good defense they weren't close to Seattle's Legion of Boom defense that we sucked the life out of the previous year. If you're going to be a good team you can't allow an opponent to come into your house and impose their will on you the way Carolina did to the Cowboys. It wasn't just Carolina that stuffed McFadden cold Tampa did the same thing to him 2 weeks earlier and Tampa was a mediocre team that ended up missing the playoffs.

On 17 carries McFadden averaged only 1.9 a carry. In the final 6 minutes with the Cowboys leading and trying to milk the clock McFadden took a 7 yard loss on a first down play which put the Cowboys in a passing situation. We ended up having to punt and Tampa beat us in the final seconds. It was our lack of a running game that helped cost us that game. The first thing every opponent tries to do is stop the running game. This upcoming season everyone is going to try and stuff our running game and put the game on Romo so they can have an opportunity to knock him out.

Back in the day everyone tried stopping Emmitt and Tony Dorsett and I can't remember one critical game for either of them where they got shutdown like McFadden did vs Carolina. It's obvious why the Cowboys drafted Zeke because the back MATTERS regardless how good your OL is. When your lead runner who's playing behind the best OL in the league averages 1.1 and 1.9 per carry in a couple of very critical games that points to a problem with the RB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We were one dimensional because we had no resemblance of a running game. We had a lot of the same problems the first couple of weeks of the season but the Giants and Philly weren't nearly as good as Carolina. We had issues running the ball and getting the ball to our WRs in the first couple of games which is why Dunbar was our leading receiver. With arguably the best OL in football there was no excuse for our lead back to only gain 10 yards on 11 carries. Not once in 2014 did Murray come close to getting shutdown the way McFadden did vs Carolina and opponents were bent all season to try and stop Murray. Although Carolina had a good defense they weren't close to Seattle's Legion of Boom defense that we sucked the life out of the previous year. If you're going to be a good team you can't allow an opponent to come into your house and impose their will on you the way Carolina did to the Cowboys. It wasn't just Carolina that stuffed McFadden cold Tampa did the same thing to him 2 weeks earlier and Tampa was a mediocre team that ended up missing the playoffs.

On 17 carries McFadden averaged only 1.9 a carry. In the final 6 minutes with the Cowboys leading and trying to milk the clock McFadden took a 7 yard loss on a first down play which put the Cowboys in a passing situation. We ended up having to punt and Tampa beat us in the final seconds. It was our lack of a running game that helped cost us that game. The first thing every opponent tries to do is stop the running game. This upcoming season everyone is going to try and stuff our running game and put the game on Romo so they can have an opportunity to knock him out.

Back in the day everyone tried stopping Emmitt and Tony Dorsett and I can't remember one critical game for either of them where they got shutdown like McFadden did vs Carolina. It's obvious why the Cowboys drafted Zeke because the back MATTERS regardless how good your OL is. When your lead runner who's playing behind the best OL in the league averages 1.1 and 1.9 per carry in a couple of very critical games that points to a problem with the RB.

Correct, they stopped the running game. When the Defense plays the run and there Defensive Unit fills the gaps, when the OL can't get the Defensive Unit blocked up, that's what happens.

Emmitt Smith and Tony Dorsett had games when they were stopped. That happens. Our Memories fail sometimes but so what? You aren't seriously suggesting that a guy who rushed for over a thousand yards in 12 games is some how incapable of running through wide open holes in the Carolina game? The holes weren't there in that game. The OL didn't get the job done and as a result, DMac didn't have a good game. That happens in the NFL.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Correct, they stopped the running game. When the Defense plays the run and there Defensive Unit fills the gaps, when the OL can't get the Defensive Unit blocked up, that's what happens.

Emmitt Smith and Tony Dorsett had games when they were stopped. That happens. Our Memories fail sometimes but so what? You aren't seriously suggesting that a guy who rushed for over a thousand yards in 12 games is some how incapable of running through wide open holes in the Carolina game? The holes weren't there in that game. The OL didn't get the job done and as a result, DMac didn't have a good game. That happens in the NFL.

Great points, hope Dallas OL is even better this year !!! The OL is still young and can get much better !!!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Great points, hope Dallas OL is even better this year !!! The OL is still young and can get much better !!!

I believe that the Run Game has a chance to improve in the next few years. We have literally poured resources into the run game so that it would improve and I think it will. Will it be better then last year? It should be but it may not me. As I said in earlier posts and tried to illustrate in this thread, a lot depends on balanced offense. If we can have a healthy QB and a healthy Dez, we can create a situation where Elliott has a very good chance of having a great year. If we lose one or both of those guys, and there is that possibility, the run game could take a step back. DMac was not the best RB in the league last year but he was a lot better then many on this board give him credit for. At the end of the day, I just think that a good Defense will stop a good running game if you can't make them play the entire field defend both Run and Pass. That will happen again this year if we can't sustain balance IMO.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I believe that the Run Game has a chance to improve in the next few years. We have literally poured resources into the run game so that it would improve and I think it will. Will it be better then last year? It should be but it may not me. As I said in earlier posts and tried to illustrate in this thread, a lot depends on balanced offense. If we can have a healthy QB and a healthy Dez, we can create a situation where Elliott has a very good chance of having a great year. If we lose one or both of those guys, and there is that possibility, the run game could take a step back. DMac was not the best RB in the league last year but he was a lot better then many on this board give him credit for. At the end of the day, I just think that a good Defense will stop a good running game if you can't make them play the entire field defend both Run and Pass. That will happen again this year if we can't sustain balance IMO.

Romo playing the whole year would help balance the team !!!!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

You sound like you're putting it all on the OL and none of it on McFadden. Emmitt and Dorsett got stopped in games but good luck finding a game where they gained only 11 yards on 10 carries in a game that was critical to the Cowboys season. Good luck finding a game where they averaged only 1.9 a carry on 17 carries in another game that was critical to the Cowboys season against a mediocre team that missed the playoffs. Some of you think a 1000 yard season is a great year for an RB and that McFadden had a great year. ANY back could have gained 1000 yards when given a career high in carries behind the best OL in the NFL. Randle would have had a 1000 yard season had he not been injured and released. His injury and release was the only reason McFadden got an opportunity to start.

McFadden wouldn't have averaged 4.0 a carry had it not been for the final 4 games of the season when the Cowboys were done. It was his 12.3, 6.3, 5.2 and 7.7 rushing average the final 4 games of the season against 3 teams that were either out of the playoff picture or had a playoff birth wrapped up that jacked his average up to 4.6. He had 8 games last season where he averaged under 4.0 a carry. Everything I've mentioned is why we drafted an RB with our 4th pick and drafted another RB later in the draft. In the games that mattered to our season he wasn't consistent. The Cowboys clearly weren't happy with the production they got from their backs especially the lack of TDs and moving the chains on short yardage which is why they made the moves they did at RB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo playing the whole year would help balance the team !!!!

For Romo to stay healthy we need balance. We can't have him throwing the ball 40+ times a game carrying the offense like he did in the opener last season which is why we used our 4th overall pick on an RB. During our 3 straight 8-8 seasons Romo was on the field for every game except one. Having him back doesn't guarantee a good season it only helps avoid a disastrous season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You sound like you're putting it all on the OL and none of it on McFadden. Emmitt and Dorsett got stopped in games but good luck finding a game where they gained only 11 yards on 10 carries in a game that was critical to the Cowboys season. Good luck finding a game where they averaged only 1.9 a carry on 17 carries in another game that was critical to the Cowboys season against a mediocre team that missed the playoffs. Some of you think a 1000 yard season is a great year for an RB and that McFadden had a great year. ANY back could have gained 1000 yards when given a career high in carries behind the best OL in the NFL. Randle would have had a 1000 yard season had he not been injured and released. His injury and release was the only reason McFadden got an opportunity to start.

McFadden wouldn't have averaged 4.0 a carry had it not been for the final 4 games of the season when the Cowboys were done. It was his 12.3, 6.3, 5.2 and 7.7 rushing average the final 4 games of the season against 3 teams that were either out of the playoff picture or had a playoff birth wrapped up that jacked his average up to 4.6. He had 8 games last season where he averaged under 4.0 a carry. Everything I've mentioned is why we drafted an RB with our 4th pick and drafted another RB later in the draft. In the games that mattered to our season he wasn't consistent. The Cowboys clearly weren't happy with the production they got from their backs especially the lack of TDs and moving the chains on short yardage which is why they made the moves they did at RB.

Here is what I think, and by the way, I can only find 10 rushes, not 11. Of the 10 rushes, 3 of them were for loses behind the LOS. Our OL flat got beat and that's not the fault of the RB. You shouldn't be having to make guys miss before you get to the LOS. Now, do I think a thousand yards in 12 games is great? Did I ever say that? Nope, never said that. I said it was better then many give him credit for and it is. I can't honestly say what the worst rushing outcome was for either Emmitt or TD but I can say this, I don't know that either one played in a situation where they were in a game with a D as poor as ours, playing without their Starting QB and their #1 WR (only WR really) against a Super Bowl team. 10 carries in the game, of which, 6 were in the 1st quarter. That works out to 4 carries between the remaining 3 quarters. This was all on the OL. McFadden is what he is and he was named the starter. If the OL can't hold their blocks to even allow him to get to the hole, then that's on the OL.
You know what your back needs to get yards if you are a coordinator or an OL. My OL new what I needed. Our OL new what McFadden needed. If they were not able to get that for him, then how is that the fault of the back? Watch the game again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Here is what I think, and by the way, I can only find 10 rushes, not 11. Of the 10 rushes, 3 of them were for loses behind the LOS. Our OL flat got beat and that's not the fault of the RB. You shouldn't be having to make guys miss before you get to the LOS. Now, do I think a thousand yards in 12 games is great? Did I ever say that? Nope, never said that. I said it was better then many give him credit for and it is. I can't honestly say what the worst rushing outcome was for either Emmitt or TD but I can say this, I don't know that either one played in a situation where they were in a game with a D as poor as ours, playing without their Starting QB and their #1 WR (only WR really) against a Super Bowl team. 10 carries in the game, of which, 6 were in the 1st quarter. That works out to 4 carries between the remaining 3 quarters. This was all on the OL. McFadden is what he is and he was named the starter. If the OL can't hold their blocks to even allow him to get to the hole, then that's on the OL.
You know what your back needs to get yards if you are a coordinator or an OL. My OL new what I needed. Our OL new what McFadden needed. If they were not able to get that for him, then how is that the fault of the back? Watch the game again.

I said 10 rushes for McFadden for only 11 yards. You mentioned McFadden having a 1000 yard season and many who have brought that up think a 1000 yard season is the standard for an RB having a great season. You may not believe that but there are those who do. I've argued with a few who claim McFadden had a great year in 2015 and would take that same year again from him and be fine with it. There's those on the board who didn't see a problem with our running game last season Percy thinks our running game was better last year than in 2014. I don't think McFadden was better than he's being given credit for or the Cowboys wouldn't have drafted an RB with the 4th overall pick.

McFadden may have been better than some thought he would be but it certainly wasn't good enough considering the OL he was playing behind for the Cowboys to stay pat at RB. Our OL and McFadden didn't mesh there has to be a cohesiveness between the OL and the back. I'm not saying McFadden was terrible because he wasn't but he wasn't consistent. When he had a good game he would follow it up with a terrible game. He followed up a 117 yard performance vs Philly with a 32 yard performance vs Tampa. He followed up a 129 yard performance against Miami wth an 11 yard performance against Carolina. Everything I've pointed out is why the Cowboys made the move they did at RB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I said 10 rushes for McFadden for only 11 yards. You mentioned McFadden having a 1000 yard season and many who have brought that up think a 1000 yard season is the standard for an RB having a great season. You may not believe that but there are those who do. I've argued with a few who claim McFadden had a great year in 2015 and would take that same year again from him and be fine with it. There's those on the board who didn't see a problem with our running game last season Percy thinks our running game was better last year than in 2014. I don't think McFadden was better than he's being given credit for or the Cowboys wouldn't have drafted an RB with the 4th overall pick.

McFadden may have been better than some thought he would be but it certainly wasn't good enough considering the OL he was playing behind for the Cowboys to stay pat at RB. Our OL and McFadden didn't mesh there has to be a cohesiveness between the OL and the back. I'm not saying McFadden was terrible because he wasn't but he wasn't consistent. When he had a good game he would follow it up with a terrible game. He followed up a 117 yard performance vs Philly with a 32 yard performance vs Tampa. He followed up a 129 yard performance against Miami wth an 11 yard performance against Carolina. Everything I've pointed out is why the Cowboys made the move they did at RB.

I think we all know why the Cowboys took a RB. However, I am not certain they would have done that if McFadden's age and contract were not what they are. Nobody questions Elliotts abilities but they do question the value of it and thats warranted IMO. It is what it is and he is now a Cowboy so I am hoping he has a ROY kinda year.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I doubt anyone credibly can offer any informed endorsement of this idea, or for that matter, any informed criticism, but I just have to throw this out there.

A lot of talk about this guy's measurables being freakish... how about Jackson as a combo RB/WR role in the Reggie Bush vein (... ie, the one at USC, not nearly so much in the pros)?

He has the speed. He appears to have hops that threaten Alvin Harper territory. In fact, compared to the other top receivers in this draft, he would have been the only one to show up in the top 3 for both the 40 yard dash and the vertical jump stats. Good info on Eastern Michigan players is hard to come by, but at least he appears to have some reputation as a good receiver (albeit out of the backfield).

Some people were disappointed we didn't pick a WR. But I wonder if we did and we just don't realize it yet.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Gotta like 4 RBs on the Roster, McFadden, Morris, Jackson and Zeke. Rod Smith looks like the odd man out hence the position change to FB.

McFadden is a all around decent RB a 3 down player in the league, Morris a short yardage hammer, Zeke say no more, and Jackson tons of upside.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think we all know why the Cowboys took a RB. However, I am not certain they would have done that if McFadden's age and contract were not what they are. Nobody questions Elliotts abilities but they do question the value of it and thats warranted IMO. It is what it is and he is now a Cowboy so I am hoping he has a ROY kinda year.

The Cowboys showed they didn't think a lot of McFadden by signing him to a 2 year heavily incentive based contract that only included a $200,000 signing bonus. Jerry banked on his OL rather than at RB thinking any back could run like Murray did in 2014 and he found out he was wrong. Jerry devalued RBs and thought all he needed was a great OL. He said when they signed Collins if you can keep adding to the OL you can have a great running game without having to pay a premium for a back.

Not hard to figure out what he was saying. Listen to his comments at the end of the 2014 season saying he thought Randle could run like Murray and pointed to the production Randle had with the opportunities he received that season. Obviously he was trying to send a message to Murray's agent but Jerry believed the back didn't matter that much.

He realized last season that he made a mistake and that Romo was back having to carry the offense and it contributed to him being injured. What happened in 2015 caused Jerry to reassess the RB position and he and his staff decided to do the smart thing and pair his OL with a great back because the back matters!