#34 Darius Jackson

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
IMO he's the future "change of pace" or "Zeke needs to be spelled for a series" back. He's very intriguing based on his size/strength/speed, just a freak athlete. Very interested in seeing how he does in pre-season. I think he has a good chance at being the legit back up next year with DMac gone.

Yes this is what I think.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
#43 was probably tryout FB Mandel Dixon 6-2 240 blocker or Keith Smith switched from #41. There was also another tryout RB Taylor Cox but he's only 209

I like Rod Smith at Fullback, I thought they would do it more last year and was hoping for the switch this year & glad they made it. He's got the size and can actually run and be used as a weapon out of the backfield.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Hey PJ, I didn't write this article, it only sounds like I did from my post to you...

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...s-jackson-push-darren-mcfadden-off-the-roster

Dallas clearly had something in mind when they selected a running back in the back-end of the draft. Think back to the 1990 NFL Draft when they selected Emmitt Smith with the 17th-overall pick. Just a year later, the Cowboys drafted Curvin Richards in the fourth round. The Cowboys wouldn't waste a pick on Jackson in the sixth round if they weren't serious about keeping him on the roster. Dallas faces a difficult decision to make regarding the running back situation, but keeping Jackson and cutting ties with McFadden is a move that can potentially provide huge dividends for the Cowboys in the long term.
I am feeling like Jackson can grow and be eventually flipped for a mid round pick.

rkell87

Reaction score
Just watched all this guys highlights, he must have spent everyday after the season working on his 40 or it was timed at 38 yards cause he could barely pull away from the lesser competition he faced. Compare his speed and Keith Marshall on tape and it's not even close though their official times say they should be. Tempering my expectations of this guy till I can see him in preseason.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I am feeling like Jackson can grow and be eventually flipped for a mid round pick.

The Seahawks traded Christine Michael to us for a conditional 7th rounder, and he was drafted in the 2nd round. Not sure how we'd get a mid rounder for Jackson, unless he saw starter-like work.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I like Rod Smith at Fullback, I thought they would do it more last year and was hoping for the switch this year & glad they made it. He's got the size and can actually run and be used as a weapon out of the backfield.

I was hoping for Vitale in the 6th round but he wouldn't have made it to our comp picks and I like the Brown pick a lot. We have used the F-back a lot, I'm interested to see how the two Smiths perform.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Well DMac returns kicks.....

I might be missing a joke in here somewhere, but McFadden has only returned 4 kicks in his career, according to NFL.com.
Ironically, he had 3 returns in his final year in Oakland and 1 last year... 82 yards on 4 returns.

Scandri100

Reaction score
Mcfadden's a good player he just dosen't seem interested in becoming great..he has all the talent in the world.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Wasn't McFadden the one whose poor blocking got Romo hurt last season?

No. Empty backfield against the Eagles. Against the Panthers, DMac helped on the rush up the middle, Collins comes off the block, why I don't know, and leaves DMac one on one, in space against Davis. Smith really didn't need help to the outside there. To me, that was Collins' error but regardless, Tony was not ready to go either way. Wasn't much of a hit on Tony that reinjured the shoulder IMO.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wasn't McFadden the one whose poor blocking got Romo hurt last season?

It was McFadden's poor running that got Romo finished off for the season vs Carolina. It was McFadden having 3 negative carries in his first 7 attempts, averaging 1.1 a carry for the entire game that put the game on Romo's shoulders. The lack of a running threat enabled the Panthers to pin their ears back and come after Romo. Just more of a reason why we used the 4th overall pick on an RB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It was McFadden's poor running that got Romo finished off for the season vs Carolina. It was McFadden having 3 negative carries in his first 7 attempts, averaging 1.1 a carry for the entire game that put the game on Romo's shoulders. The lack of a running threat enabled the Panthers to pin their ears back and come after Romo. Just more of a reason why we used the 4th overall pick on an RB.

Right, it was not Tony's less then 50 % completion percentage or the three interceptions he threw, before he was injured right?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Right, it was not Tony's less then 50 % completion percentage or the three interceptions he threw, before he was injured right?

Romo played awful which has happened to him a lot when games are put on him which was the case against Carolina. We only ran the ball 14 times that day for 31 yards and McFadden had 10 carries for only 11 yards. Our WRs weren't getting open which is why I haven't been as hard on our backup QBs like some here. If you have virtually no running game and you can't get the ball down the field to your WRs chances are it's going to be a long day if you're playing a real good team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Romo played awful which has happened to him a lot when games are put on him which was the case against Carolina. We only ran the ball 14 times that day for 31 yards and McFadden had 10 carries for only 11 yards. Our WRs weren't getting open which is why I haven't been as hard on our backup QBs like some here. If you have virtually no running game and you can't get the ball down the field to your WRs chances are it's going to be a long day if you're playing a real good team.

Carolina was very good Defensively. They took out Dez and our WRs and they Keyed on McFadden. There game plan was to force Tony to find the 3rd option and throw deep. They bet that Tony couldn't do it and they were right. However, on the play that he was injured on, that was not McFadden's fault. That was just a rookie mistake and a situation where a player came back too early. I think it's as simple as that but I will tell you this, it won't matter who we have in the backfield if we play a team as good defensively as Carolina was and we can't throw the ball. It's very likely that we see the same results IMO.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Carolina was very good Defensively. They took out Dez and our WRs and they Keyed on McFadden. There game plan was to force Tony to find the 3rd option and throw deep. They bet that Tony couldn't do it and they were right. However, on the play that he was injured on, that was not McFadden's fault. That was just a rookie mistake and a situation where a player came back too early. I think it's as simple as that but I will tell you this, it won't matter who we have in the backfield if we play a team as good defensively as Carolina was and we can't throw the ball. It's very likely that we see the same results IMO.

I'm not blaming McFadden for the play Romo was injured on. As for Dez being taken out he was taken out in most of the games he played last season he wasn't healthy. In the Carolina game he was too busy jawing with Norman on on one play to even notice Romo had thrown a pick. Hard to throw the ball when don't have a running game or a running threat. In that situation the defense is going to pin their ears back and come after the QB. Both times Romo was injured last season was in a long down situation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm not blaming McFadden for the play Romo was injured on. As for Dez being taken out he was taken out in most of the games he played last season he wasn't healthy. In the Carolina game he was too busy jawing with Norman on on one play to even notice Romo had thrown a pick. Hard to throw the ball when don't have a running game or a running threat. In that situation the defense is going to pin their ears back and come after the QB. Both times Romo was injured last season was in a long down situation.

Against a good Defense, I would agree but that's kinda the point. Their defense took the running game away from us. The way to beat them was to beat them long. Nothing short and no room to run. That's going to happen against good defenses no matter who you have at RB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Against a good Defense, I would agree but that's kinda the point. Their defense took the running game away from us. The way to beat them was to beat them long. Nothing short and no room to run. That's going to happen against good defenses no matter who you have at RB.

With no running game and Romo being off and not having WRs that could get open down the field that game had blowout written all over it. Just go back to the prediction thread even the most optimistic were conceding the game.