3rd and 3 and they pass?

droopdog7

Reaction score
This is my confusion with Mike.

He is either super aggressive or over conservative.

Not taking the 3 and the lead then on fourth not getting it.

Not going for two to make it 28-28

The 3rd and 3 at the end.
You don’t kick that fg because it was about 50 yards. Not a sure thing no matter how well the kicker has done this year.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yea the boys won, but let’s be clear that was one of the dumbest play calls in recent history. The only explanation was MM had boys at -9.5. How do you not run it in that spot, yes the defense got the stop but it should have never come down to that. If they lost the game he should have been fired for that play call.
Just a terrible call.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
It was just stupid. You either run the ball and stay in bounds to keep the clock moving, or you throw a high-percentage safe pass (like a screen) to keep the clock moving.

McCarthy's decision-making as a HC is deplorable in so many situations.

Didn't go for 2 when they were down 2.

And should have kicked the FG, there was no need to go for it on 4th down.

He just doesn't have a good feel for the game, IMO. Going to be hard to count on his decision-making in a tight game against a good opponent.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Yea the boys won, but let’s be clear that was one of the dumbest play calls in recent history. The only explanation was MM had boys at -9.5. How do you not run it in that spot, yes the defense got the stop but it should have never come down to that. If they lost the game he should have been fired for that play call.
I hated that call, run 40 seconds off, kick FG and their bum QB only has 55 seconds to score a TD

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't really make any sense to me. I mean, that is the best play you can come up with?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Please! We should’ve just kept Kellen Moore and lost the F-in game. Geesh! :rolleyes:

droopdog7

Reaction score
I think there is reason to criticize that third down call both for MM and daks decision to throw it. I probably run it and kick the fg. But you understand going to the kill right there. Heck, after not getting it and stopping the clock, I would have gone for it on fourth down.

But it worked out, so who cares.

zeke21

Reaction score
It is a terrible call.. even if it pays off.. I would still think it was a terrible call.

You had to call a play that kept the clock running.. leave Hawks with less than a minute either way. As others have suggested.. if you did want to be aggressive then a PA roll out that gives the QB the choice.. if a man is open then take the shot.. if not then get down and keep the clock running. Horrible horrible call.

Luckily our D came up big and it didn't cost us the game.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It was just stupid. You either run the ball and stay in bounds to keep the clock moving, or you throw a high-percentage safe pass (like a screen) to keep the clock moving.

He just doesn't have a good feel for the game, IMO. Going to be hard to count on his decision-making in a tight game against a good opponent.
It was a pretty long field goal. Honestly the chance Aubrey misses is about the same as Ceedee dropping that easy pass.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

He did the same bonehead move of not taking the points (FG) in the Cards game when we were still in it and completely lost momentum.

droopdog7

Reaction score

I was yelling, go for 1 after that td. It was the right call with that much game left and I’m glad he did it.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Man!!! so the buck what!!!! I'm not upset about the play call, But I thought we should have thought first down first TD second, if CeeDee had pulled up short at the first down because he had the DB turned around we could have just kneeled and ran out the time and they not get the ball back, but I see they want to nail the coffin shut, it's all good, because they left it for the defense to finish off the win and the defense stood up, and the their offense panicked

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
It was a pretty long field goal. Honestly the chance Aubrey misses is about the same as Ceedee dropping that easy pass.
What??? It was like a 47-yard FG. Aubrey makes those all day, every day. He's got a huge leg. Come on, man, just take the points!

Ken

Reaction score
Ya this was so dumb. Run the ball...or roll out with an easy pass option or tuck and run and live with the result.

No option should have been to throw an straight pass and have an Inc.

Terrible...thought for sure they were going to tear our heart out.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I was yelling, go for 1 after that td. It was the right call with that much game left and I’m glad he did it.
Why go for 1 late in the 3rd quarter when you're down 2?

Especially if you're already going to eschew 3 points and go for 4th downs earlier in the game.

Why go for 1 point when you can get 2 and tie it? I understand maybe if it's early in the 3rd quarter, but not when there's only about a quarter of the game left. Usually I prefer not to chase points by going for 2 all the time, but in a situation when you're actually down 2 and the game is winding down, I don't see much of a difference being down 1 or down 2 (if you don't get the 2-pt conversion).

droopdog7

Reaction score
What??? It was like a 47-yard FG. Aubrey makes those all day, every day. He's got a huge leg. Come on, man, just take the points!
Would have been I think 49 or 50. No one questions whether he has the leg. But it isn’t a gimmie at all. I understood the call and had ceedee not dropped the ball, it would have been correct.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
That play has to be a run or a high % play action rollout pass. Worst case, you take a 3-4 yard sack and force the timeout. Simple game management.
They didn’t have any timeouts left, which makes it even worse of a playcall.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Why go for 1 late in the 3rd quarter when you're down 2?

Especially if you're already going to eschew 3 points and go for 4th downs earlier in the game.

Why go for 1 point when you can get 2 and tie it? I understand maybe if it's early in the 3rd quarter, but not when there's only about a quarter of the game left. Usually I prefer not to chase points by going for 2 all the time, but in a situation when you're actually down 2 and the game is winding down, I don't see much of a difference being down 1 or down 2 (if you don't get the 2-pt conversion).
Because there is a lot of game to go and um, you might miss. Had you thought of that. You don’t even THINK about going for until the fourth quarter.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
My problem with fans is that every call can be questioned. The HC never makes the right call in a lot of fans mind and it's frustrating. No person on this earth ever does EVERYTHING right to some people.