Drafted by Cowboys 3rd Round, Pick 90 - Cowboys Draft G Connor McGovern Penn State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
There could be.

Like I said, but like the online crew said before I did, there's reason to think Collins could be traded before tomorrow's done.

Collins is almost certainly not going to be here in 2020.
If they trade Collins I'm good with it. If not its stupid

Gaede

Reaction score
Anyone really believe we had the talent to win the Superbowl last year? Because this draft is a depth draft so far which tells me that's what the FO thinks.

Nothing is better than drafting for good ol' "depth"

I mean, that's how we landed the likes of Chaz Green, Stephen McGee, Robert Brewster, Felix Jones and so on and so on

Beaker42

Reaction score
Lael Collins will either price himself out of Dallas playing well or be replaced for being inconsistent. Connor Williams shifts out to RT and McGovern slides in at G.

Makes a lot of sense.
Supposedly Connor can’t play OT per Bob Sturm.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Hard to argue with the value and I will never complain about building both lines.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Do you remember John Gesek? Well that is Connor McGovern. Here is an article (I added some information):

A true junior and Agribusiness management major, McGovern declared early for the NFL Draft and points out he is just 19 credits shy of obtaining his degree from Penn State — a big factor in his decision to make himself available to NFL teams.

“If I would have been a little further from graduation, that would have been a big factor for me,” McGovern said.

The position he plays in the NFL isn’t.

McGovern, who said he has heard talk he may be chosen as high as the second round of the draft, said the NFL teams he’s spoken with are evenly split while envisioning him as a guard or a center. And his 6-foot-6, 311-pound frame also makes McGovern an ideal option to line up at offensive tackle for a team that needs help at that spot. He ran a sub 5.0 40 yd time on pro day, with a 4.57 short shuttle and 7.66 cone. His 28 reps at 225 is 7 more that Lael Collins and only 3 less than Tyron Smith. His short shuttle, cone was better than any starting Dallas Cowboys OL. He is only 21 years old starting at Penn St as a true freshman.

“I’ve asked the question,” McGovern said of where he may fit in with the NFL, “most were a split down the middle. But all of them liked the versatility. As a lineman, I can play in any one of those spots, I can play all five. You only get to keep seven, maybe eight (offensive linemen) in the NFL. I think versatility helps.”

This is a solid OL pick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
OK.

Did you need to use your third round pick on a backup OL?

Haven’t done enough research on the players that were available to know. Obviously the Cowboys felt like he was a player they needed to take at that spot. The fact that he provides position flexibility and insurance if Frederick can’t come back or is slow to return to form will give him an opportunity to play this season. The OL does need help, it wasn’t where it needed to be last season.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
So we made a pick for 2020 and watch this guy on the inactive list for 17 weeks
Nah. I think he will be active every week with a chance to start at LG. Collins has been lukewarm at RT anyway. Might be opportune time to move Connor there.

I trust Colombo to make the right call on this.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Didn't see that one coming. Maybe we're planning on being the 1st team with 2 6th rounders as starting safeties.
Mel Kiper did. Kiper had Connor McCovern in the top 5 best available and only OL before the Cowboys pick. When I saw that I knew the Cowboys was going to draft the best available player of need (He can play all 5 OL positions).

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Fleming's on a two year deal.

McGovern's only path to snaps is if Collins gets released, Connor Williams moves to tackle, and Williams beats out Fleming. That's not a great outlook for a 3rd round pick.

The truth is we just don’t know what they do at this point. Collins was very inconsistent last year but did okay better down the stretch. Williams got pushed around all season playing guard. Smith has gotten hurt the last two years. Is Fredricks return a Guarantee?

Status
Not open for further replies.