45-10! But does it even matter?

lopey

Reaction score
I know, I know, IGNORE the media, the “haters”, the internet trolls, etc., but can anyone explain the madness? Most of the media, anyone that hates Dallas, and a portion of our own fanbase scoff at our trouncing of below average teams.

Dallas is 8-3, but the narrative is we haven’t played anyone—our wins are meaningless. But in the interest of fairness let’s examine a few “elite” teams. Yeah, Philly is 9-1, with a loaded roster, but if you look at the results, they haven’t dominated anyone. They beat the Rams, Washington twice, 4-6 Tampa, and New England. Should we discount those 5 wins? Plus, they lost to the Jets, and were gifted the Miami win by the refs, but THEY’RE legit! The 9ers lost three, plus beat up on Seattle, the Rams, Tampa, Arizona, and the Giants! And they’re a juggernaut!

Just sayin’…
Thing is we lost to both the 49 and philly with a beat down by SF. If we beat either team i think the narrative changes. Best philly next time we play them and we will be respected

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Whatever happened to people respecting those who have a nuanced approach to things? Why is it so sacrilegious to see all sides and form your own opinion on things? This site is a microcosm (and perfect example) of how society has become. It's quite disturbing. No one side is completely right about the Cowboys. No one side is completely wrong about the Cowboys. Why do people get so offended that someone is hesitant to go all in on the team when it's so often folded like a lawn chair in critical moments? Why do others get so offended that someone is choosing to believe this time it's different? Five times (in my opinion) this season, the Cowboys had a chance to make statement games. Unfortunately due to history and the standings at the time, two of those were more important than the other three. That doesn't discount that the other three are also important. In those five games, the Cowboys are 3-2.

-While it's not a statement game the loss to the Cardinals, a game they had no business losing, it set up the stage for later:

-Their Achilles heel, the 49ers, absolutely owned the Cowboys for the third time in a row on Oct 8. This was their chance to get the monkey off their back and make a bold move toward the playoff race and they wet the bed.

-By the early morning of November 5, the Commanders were 3-5, the Giants were 2-6, and the Cowboys were 5-2 had a chance to make huge headway in the division race when they faced the 7-1 Eagles. Even before the games were played Nov 5, it was pretty obvious the Division was a two team race between the Cowboys and the Eagles. At the end of the day on Nov 5, The Cowboys once again failed when it mattered and lost to the Eagles, leaving the standings that day at Eagles 8-1, Cowboys 5-3, Commanders 4-5, and Giants at 2-7. Their loss took their fate more out of their hands (for yet another season) and more into the hands of the Eagles. The most frustrating part is that the Cowboys looked overall the better team and ended up beating themselves. This is not a once in a lifetime occurrence but a regular trend with the team from season to season.

- However, the other three statement games (the divisional ones), the Cowboys obliterated the Giants twice and Washington once (so far). 3-1 in the Division so far. ( The Eagles, meanwhile, are currently 3-0 in the division right now. Any current tiebreakers going to the Eagles.) The Dec 3 Eagles-49ers game is big for the Cowboys and even more important is the Dec 10 Cowboys-Eagles game.

The current point differential for the Cowboys is 162 points. That's insane and awesome! It's 101 points more than the Eagles point differential at 61. But point differentials only matter in the results of tiebreakers after other things. Doesn't it come after 1) Overall record, 2) Divisional Record, 3) Conference record, and 4) Non-Conference record?

Now let's look at Current Standings:

Eagles: 9-1 (Currently holds tiebreaker vs Cowboys because of their win over them. Their only loss came to a Non-conference opponent.)
Cowboys: 8-3 (Their three losses came to Conference opponents. Even if the Cowboys beat the Eagles Dec 10, the Eagles still have the tiebreaker so far if they have equal W-L records)
Commanders: 4-8
Giants: 3-8

Now, with all of that information in mind and while it's awesome and exciting that the Cowboys are dominating a bunch of other teams, how exactly will those curb stomps help if they fail to win when critical games for the Division and the playoffs? How can you not at least understand how some people are wary when two very important games (49ers, Eagles) showed them that it might be the same old thing in the end, the thing we've seen for 27 years now?

Please, enlighten me how the 101 point difference in point differential of opponents between the Cowboys and Eagles help the Cowboys in any way change the current standings...that the Cowboys now don't fully control their destiny and need the Eagles to choke. The Cowboys are 8-3 and that's really good. They're dominating in games they should be dominating, unlike in some years where they might lose or have squeak-by wins because the offense or defense failed to show that week. They're actually strong in all phases in these stomps. But make no mistake, these dominant curb stomps only help so much. It's the W-L record that matters more in the end. It's them winning in determining games that is their usual weakness and something they really need to overcome and start winning before they have a hope of getting to the SB.

I'm exciting by the direction they are heading after some heartbreaking losses this season. They're showing more resilience and hope. This is an exciting team to watch. Enjoy the ride (I plan to) but also respect that some people are tired of the fool's gold the team has been displaying for so long. The culture of the team needs to change.

(And for those that are negative after wins: omg, lighten up and enjoy the win for at least an evening before trying to poo poo everything. Chill out. The Cowboys just obliterated the Commanders. That's always cause to celebrate!)
Good post overall.

I'll just say in general that point differential is a better predictor of future success than record is. Teams have fluke wins and will stack up luck for a few weeks. Analysts at the time will say that the 3 point win was a master job in coaching or great resilience but it was probably just luck. That invariably evens itself out. I'm trying to confirm this but I believe that New England had the best point differential in the NFL every year they won a Super Bowl.

Personally, I don't think the Eagles are all that this year. They are one of those "lucky" teams. I could go back through their season and reverse 4 plays or penalties and give them 4 more losses. Their point differential reflects the fact that their defense has been rather mediocre and their offense good but not great.

Unfortunately, I think SF really is that good. Their record should be better than it is and is the result of some short term injuries combined with bad luck. Beyond that, they have Dallas' number AND Dallas doesn't play well on the road on grass.

My prediction at this point:
Dallas beats Philly in Dallas but can't catch them. They go 5-1 the rest of the way and finish 13-4 as the 5 seed.
SF beats Philly. They go undefeated the rest of the way and get the 1 seed.
Dallas wins its WC game, goes to SF and loses in the divisional round
SF wins super bowl

The haters blast away at the fact that its been 30 years since Dallas got to a conference championship game and that Dak can't win the big one.

ESisback

Reaction score
The Eagles are 4-0 versus teams with winning records. The Cowboys are 0-2 versus teams with winning records.

That's not a "narrative", it's just fact. Losing to the lowly Cardinals didn't help the Cowboys credibility.

Not sure why so many care about what the media say, but if they are citing those facts it's not a "narrative" - it's reality.

You want the media to respect the Cowboys, and you clearly do, then beat good teams and make noise in the playoffs. That's always been the way.
I get all that, and I agree, but there’s STILL a double standard!

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I don't see the "cheese" component. We are playing at an extremely high level, 9ers look to be back and philly just manages to squeeze by. Division games are always tough, and we have bulldozed the giants and commanders. 9ers have picked up their game recently but nowhere near the level we have. We are obviously the best team in the NFC and from what I can tell, the NFL.
We are indeed improving

9ers scheme players open . McCafferty has elevated their run game

Brock benefits by not having to thread the needle on the majority of his passes

The left side of their O line opens true holes for the RB’s and their D is very formidable

They look like the most dominant team at this point and will be a challenge for whomever they face

The Philly rematch will tell us a lot going forward

ESisback

Reaction score
Thing is we lost to both the 49 and philly with a beat down by SF. If we beat either team i think the narrative changes. Best philly next time we play them and we will be respected
We could beat Philly, and they’d make excuses, and say, Philly will beat ‘em again in the playoffs. Scoff and move the goal posts, unless Dallas wins the SB, and the second it’s over, all attention turns to doubting 2024.

That’s life…

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, the only way to shut them up is to win when it really counts, and that is in the playoffs, but it also helps when you play teams like Philly and San Fran – you should win those games and until you do, you’re gonna hear it

ESisback

Reaction score
The way the offense has come alive, paired with that defense, makes us a formidable contender, IMHO.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Here’s the thing — nothing really matters, good or bad, until the final stretch and of course the postseason.

We could have beaten SF and Philly, earned the 1 seed … and still wet the bed in the divisional round of the playoffs.

I’m just enjoying the ride and hoping that some of this clicks for us in the postseason.

Exactly and, in the meantime, I'm just enjoying the victories that are coming our way.

cowboyed

Reaction score
The Eagles are 4-0 versus teams with winning records. The Cowboys are 0-2 versus teams with winning records.

That's not a "narrative", it's just fact. Losing to the lowly Cardinals didn't help the Cowboys credibility.

Not sure why so many care about what the media say, but if they are citing those facts it's not a "narrative" - it's reality.

You want the media to respect the Cowboys, and you clearly do, then beat good teams and make noise in the playoffs. That's always been the way.
But it's not the final story of the regular or post-season.. This team does seem to be improving and we'll see how they respond moving forward against the more competitive teams.

ESisback

Reaction score
The Eagles get to be considered legit because they beat the Cowboys, Chiefs, Dolphins, and Vikings (basically 4 playoff teams and maybe you include Tampa in there as well). Similarly having gone to the Super Bowl last year gives you the benefit of the doubt. The 49ers have wins over the Steelers, Browns, Cowboys, Jaguars, and Seahawks (again all playoff teams and again maybe Tampa). This is not college football where margin of victory matters because you need to impress voters to make a playoff. The only thing that matters is getting the win.

Conversely the Cowboys have played 2 playoff teams and are 0-2 hence why people are skeptical (similar to how people are skeptical of the Dolphins). You do not have to win pretty against the good competition but you do have to win.
All true! My point is Philly over NY by 3 still seems to have more value than Dallas 40 NY 0.

ESisback

Reaction score
Fingers crossed!

75boyz

Reaction score
Here’s the thing — nothing really matters, good or bad, until the final stretch and of course the postseason.

We could have beaten SF and Philly, earned the 1 seed … and still wet the bed in the divisional round of the playoffs.

I’m just enjoying the ride and hoping that some of this clicks for us in the postseason.
Truer words never spoken.
Past number one seeds by this team accomplished nothing.
BobHaze's av/meme still holds true.
"Respect is earned in the playoffs."

jmo

Strykerscm

Reaction score
We haven’t beaten anyone with a pulse. Do that and people will pay attention.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

That's the beauty of football. You are what you are...until you're something else. Go out and kick some @$$ these next 5 games, and then you're a team that beats winning teams. Can't go 2-3 and hit the playoffs with a 2-5 record vs winning teams and expect to win anything. I think they're hitting their stride and will do well. Had they not wet the bed in Philly with 27 seconds left, we'd see them a lot differently. Show the world what you can do.

pitt33

Reaction score
No need for such a long post when the answer is so simple, in the two games the boys had to prove this year is different they lost them both. One was a complete embarrassment the other the usual poor coaching, lack of discipline and poor luck. People act like over the past 28 years the boys haven’t done this before, get fat and look like champions vs lesser opponents and then crap the bed on the road against quality opponents. Every boys fan should have the same mind frame, happy they are beating teams they should, but a wait and see approach against tougher opponents especially on the road
You bet.

I want to see these players- and coaching staff - have a sense of poise and razor sharp focus in the post season.

Jimmy Johnson’s teams exemplified that.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
It matters because we would wonder what’s wrong with them if we were winning these games 24-17 or something closer like that

phildadon86

Reaction score
For now I agree. Who’s #1?

Philly or San Fran?
San Fran.

Philly has had a string of luck I dont think I have ever seen in football.

Name me a team you have seen in all of your years that fumbles 3 times in one game on offense and recovers all 3 of them. Philly is one play going the other way from having a losing record. Thats how lucky they have been. They are barely beating the bad teams the Cowboys are blowing off the field. That wont continue in the playoffs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know, I know, IGNORE the media, the “haters”, the internet trolls, etc., but can anyone explain the madness? Most of the media, anyone that hates Dallas, and a portion of our own fanbase scoff at our trouncing of below average teams.

Dallas is 8-3, but the narrative is we haven’t played anyone—our wins are meaningless. But in the interest of fairness let’s examine a few “elite” teams. Yeah, Philly is 9-1, with a loaded roster, but if you look at the results, they haven’t dominated anyone. They beat the Rams, Washington twice, 4-6 Tampa, and New England. Should we discount those 5 wins? Plus, they lost to the Jets, and were gifted the Miami win by the refs, but THEY’RE legit! The 9ers lost three, plus beat up on Seattle, the Rams, Tampa, Arizona, and the Giants! And they’re a juggernaut!

Just sayin’…
well, unlike most I don't neither overly celebrate these wins, nor get down on the team. what are you supposed to do when you play a bad team? beat them up. well we have been beating them up, by staying focused and playing 4 quarters, unlike AZ game when we thought we show up and win.

now, I don't dimiss philly winning close games, tells me they can close games (we couldn't do the same from 6 yard line against Philly). but these things tend to even out. you play with fire long enough y ou will get burned. all we have to do is beat a couple of teams with winning record and the noise stops