Twitter: 49ers DB Jimmie Ward on their gameplan

NotForLong

Reaction score
This is why Cowboy fans as a whole are seen as a clown show. Those who regard Prescott as a top 5 QB tarnish the reputation of Cowboy fans who actually understand football. It's genuinely embarrassing. I respect that more fans are starting to see the light and appreciate the limitations of Prescott yet there are still lost causes out there who have thrown themselves under the bus for Dak Prescott of all QBs! :laugh:
Classic

NotForLong

Reaction score
1. And we came back against GB because Linehan fed the ball with Zeke to start the half.

2. Even then, with Zeke producing, Dak threw a back-breaking INT,

3. Dez was a ‘monster’ that game, where he had like 11 catches on 15 targets for 150 yards off the Po of my head, meaning the WR that Dak fans blamed was the reason for Dak’s failures, in particular 2017 and the impetus behind the “Dak-friendly” offense and Dak saying he doesn’t really need a number 1.. So even per the Dak-Stan logic, it was an unusual game anyways, not reproducible, because of the WR.

Of course, like you said, those catches started coming when it was 21-3, the Packers even let off with their bum secondaries.

I mean you can even tell it was inflated stats.

:clap:
You have a great memory

NotForLong

Reaction score
It does matter who the QB is. Josh Allen doesn't give ** about the run game because he is the run game. Rodgers and Mahomes make their run game because defenses can't stack the box unless they want to get destroyed. You are correct in saying that those teams run the ball but there's reasons why they are able to do so. Those QBs scare defenses.. Dak doesn't scare anyone so it's exactly what Ward said.
Classic

NotForLong

Reaction score
All the things his scouting report said. Here we are, six seasons in, and none of this has changed. And yet, we were repeatedly called "low football IQ morons" by certain posters for pointing it out.
Classic

NotForLong

Reaction score
I am apologizing to Pappy, Willie, Rison, Catch, Atlanta, Mountaineer, Khalidi, and the rest of the Dak haters. Dak had the ball at midfield at the two minute warning 1st down, three timeouts. A top 12 quarterback wins that game. San Francisco was also down 3 of their top defensive players. Shoot, Kirk Cousins wins that game.
One more request now that you have come to a better understanding of Dak . . .

Will you admit the Cowboys would have performed better with Romo in 2016 playoffs

khiladi

Reaction score
:clap:
You have a great memory

I edited the post and added some more commentary, with the attached video. I wanted to refresh my memory to see the Dak throws in the game. I haven’t dissected more, but look on those two plays I reference, particularly the second one when it was 28-13 where Dez and 26 are basically in the same spot when Dak throws it. Dez breaks his route to follow Dak who bailed early from the pocket.

These are the typical ‘decisive’ throws by Dak when down multiple scores. The second one reflects the ‘lucky’ Dak who gets away with a lot of bad throws. I know it’s anecdotal, but sometimes I shake my head at how lucky Dak is sometimes, how many times he’s bailed out by bone-headed defensive plays.

NotForLong

Reaction score
1. And we came back against GB because Linehan fed the ball with Zeke to start the half.

2. Even then, with Zeke producing, Dak threw a back-breaking INT,

3. Dez was a ‘monster’ that game, where he had like 11 catches on 15 targets for 150 yards off the Po of my head, meaning the WR that Dak fans blamed was the reason for Dak’s failures, in particular 2017 and the impetus behind the “Dak-friendly” offense and Dak saying he doesn’t really need a number 1.. So even per the Dak-Stan logic, it was an unusual game anyways, not reproducible, because of the WR.

Of course, like you said, those catches started coming when it was 21-3, the Packers even let off with their bum secondaries.

I mean you can even tell it was inflated stats.

Dez’s first TD is at 39 seconds. It’s one deep safety and man coverage on the outside on a first and ten, with GB selling out to stop the run. Dez has his man completely beat. Any mediocre QB could have made that throw.

The play at 1:18 is completely lucky, where Dez and the guy with the number 26 are basically in the same area. I’m positive Dak isn’t evdn throwing it to Dez. He’s actually keyed in on 26 running the inside slant. Look at Daks eyes the whole time. Dez actually breaks his route to follow Dak as he breaks pocket.

Dak is completely lucky that Dez was there to take the ball that was intended for 26, because otherwise the GB LB 47 has dropped and is about to pick it off.

2016 was a nightmare and every year since has been a sick joke

khiladi

Reaction score
Besides the fact you can basically see how much time Dak has in the pocket to make those throws, look at the pass to Witten at 1:33. Notice Dak’s footwork and pocket presence, even though he makes the throw. Why is he drifting forward and moving in the pocket to throw it?

Go to 1:55 and the pass he completes to Dak and look at his footwork and how he’s drifting backwards and then throws off his back foot, though nobody is around him. He’s also looking at Dez the whole time, meaning that’s the only read he’s following.

How many times do you see him do this, still to this day? These are the type of mechanic issues that constantly raise their head with Dak, which partially explains why he’s so all over the place.

Further, if you look at all the throws he is making, they are basically all his first reads and he’s staring them down. It’s really just a matter of whether the blocking is adequate, so the QB can set his feet and throw to the guy he has on his mind in the very beginning. Those type of throws he consistently makes and nothing has changed. That’s why he looks good in garbage time, because the decisiveness and your expectation is really to lose at that point and the pressure is off.

It’s the issue of going through progressions when he needs to anticipate, where it really falls apart even today. The issues of mechanics are also still there and you may get away with throws here and there at times, but over the season, that just means bad QB play, particularly when the blocking isn’t perfect.

Brax

Reaction score
Dak arguably would have carved out a niche as the best backup QB in football, that could keep a team afloat when their starting QB goes down for a few games here and there. But 2016 made Jerry completely delusional. Remember also, 2016 not only justified Dak over Romo to Jerry, it justified Jason Garrett to the world once again to Jerry.
I think Garrett had a hand in it too, Jerry just so wants to say look at the QB I drafted I am a football genius. If Jerry and JG would have been smart, they would have brought TR back and have an open QB competition Jerry and JG didn't want to bruise poor Daks mentality, Dak could have learned so much from Romo instead two football dummies made a very bad choice and the rest as they say is history. With TR injury history chances are Dak would have played some, unfortunately JJ and JG were both glory hounds for credit thinking they had lightning in a bottle with Dak so far it just hasn't worked out that way.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Day played poorly. But no team, no matter who the QB is, plans to stop the pass and make a team run the ball. They all try to take away the run first. When GB plays this weekend, their opponent will try to take away the run and force Rodgers to throw even more. No one wants to be run on because it destroys your defense. That’s all I’m saying. Good teams manage to run the ball. Troy Aikman won titles and a bust at the HOF throwing 20-25 passes per game. Last night Stafford threw the ball 17 times, completing 13 for 202, yet he’s receiving praise. Good teams run the football which helps the QB. GB, TB, SF, LA are all running the ball.

But Ward's quote, in that he directly identified Dak, appears to infer that the 49ers would over commit to stop the run as they didnt see Dak taking advantage of their poor secondary.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Yes!!!!!!! Romo is a better passer. Not even close. Zeke, at that time was Demarco Murray on steroids. The offense would have been unstoppable.

Romo is a better passer and more of a risk taker which is what killed him early in his career along with not having an O-line or running game to sort of balance that out.

I'm still floored at how fast Zeke has declined. Like two years ago I was watching this guy hurdle over linebackers and defensive backs who were trying to tackle him.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Romo is a better passer and more of a risk taker which is what killed him early in his career along with not having an O-line or running game to sort of balance that out.

I'm still floored at how fast Zeke has declined. Like two years ago I was watching this guy hurdle over linebackers and defensive backs who were trying to tackle him.
Not to defend the Joneses for drafting Zeke but they thought he was Emmitt Smith on steroids. To be honest Zeke is not close to Toney Dorset. Good dude but man he broke down quickly. Emmitt was a rare breed.

Plankton

Reaction score
Not to defend the Joneses for drafting Zeke but they thought he was Emmitt Smith on steroids. To be honest Zeke is not close to Toney Dorset. Good dude but man he broke down quickly. Emmitt was a rare breed.

Emmitt Smith was a unicorn from the standpoint that he was a uniquely driven individual who was able to overcome size limitations to survive a humongous workload without suffering a knee injury. Elliott is more physically talented than Smith, but he does not have the same drive that Smith had.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith was a unicorn from the standpoint that he was a uniquely driven individual who was able to overcome size limitations to survive a humongous workload without suffering a knee injury. Elliott is more physically talented than Smith, but he does not have the same drive that Smith had.
My favorite NFL player of all time. Will never forget him burying what was left of the Giants in 93 with a separated shoulder. He is the GOAT of running backs to me.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Can't do that now with so much cap room committed to the offense. How do they get better at running the football with a running back that has no speed and a QB that can't challenge the defense? Teams will load up the box most of the time and we know that can't adjust to that.
Find another quarterback.If he can't cut it , move on.