Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
No. He was brought here because you get two years on the cheap to see how Mike can develop him. For a 4th, you get someone who is 2 years removed from being the #3 overall pick. That's a reasonable gamble that could pay off big time in a trade.
Why do we care if Mike can develop him or not?

Nobody gonna trade anything for somebody they never see play.

The Cowboys don't operate in your scenario. Jerry never in his life made a trade to develop a player to trade down the road.

vlad

Reaction score

Mike McCarthy was instrumental in Aaron Rodgers development. Why not take a swing if the price is low? The Cowboys need a contingency option if Dak fails to get it done this year with a stacked team.

We found Jerry’s account!

Nice Call !

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Tired of Dak and his salary with piss poor results. This a superbowl roster being held up by the most important position in the league. I absolutely love the trade and I hope Trey pans out and is the QB next year.
I hope Trey is the QB THIS year.

Forget another wasted year with Dak.

We know Dak is a loser. It's still yet to be determined if Lance is or not.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I'm ECSTATIC. As the Joker said, "It's not about money...it's about sending a message...".

Dak, I love you, but we need you to be better. Just this morning, after watching Aiden O'Connell in Vegas, I wondered why we don't keep drafting talent at QB. I know it's expensive to develop a QB, but the position is so important...why not keep churning at the position until you find someone you REALLY want to develop?

aikemirv

Reaction score
I love this move. I think Trey Lance still has a shot to be excellent. Less than a year ago he beat out Jimmy G to open 2022 as the 49ers starting QB.
He did not beat him out. They gave that to him because they wanted to move on from Jimmy but Trey stunk up the joint before he got injured

Mr_437

Reaction score
I think this is excellent for Trey he gets to learn from Big Mike/Shotty, Dak (supposed great leader) and Rush (best backup QB in the NFL). No pressure to be anything but a young QB learning from seasoned veterans.

I love draft picks, so that 4th rounder hurts but I get the move.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No...no...NO!!!!!!!!
WTH? This guy had 20 something million guaranteed on his deal, and he stinks. I don't get this at all. Normally I'm not big on critiquing trades.... but this is terrible.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Didn't see this coming. Interesting... :popcorn:
Neither did I. This will add a little pressure on Dak entering the season. With him up for a contract extension, this move wasn’t just about trying to improve at backup QB.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Definitely the first sign that they may be reluctant to pay Dak again if he doesn’t get better. I don’t think Lance will ever amount to much but if it lights a fire under Dak, I’m all for it. Dak has never been as good as he was when he was fighting to keep the job as a rookie.