Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This is such a great opportunity for both Lance and the Cowboys....if he pans out......the Cowboys get a young starting QB without a 40-50 mil cap hit
He has a long way to go to pan out, but it’s still very early in his career and the jury is still out.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm ECSTATIC. As the Joker said, "It's not about money...it's about sending a message...".

Dak, I love you, but we need you to be better. Just this morning, after watching Aiden O'Connell in Vegas, I wondered why we don't keep drafting talent at QB. I know it's expensive to develop a QB, but the position is so important...why not keep churning at the position until you find someone you REALLY want to develop?

Exactly. I love Dak too, but I think this is a worthy message to Dak. He's been given a much improved team. We now have a possible replacement at QB if he can't do his job.

Reactions: CWR

Xavier187

Reaction score
This is what the Cowboys need a developmental QB who is Young and can learn. Lance isn't trash. Use tour brain. No oline. And there medical staff is as$.
If you can get this kid learning you could get a 1st round down the road. Or you can replace Dak.
Business is business.
Think ahead.
We don't know what we have till we have it. We'll we have it now. Let's learn what we can do to propel him to be better

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is Dallas not getting a QB in the mid to lower rounds last year in the draft so they get one now to take a chance on.
Still meh on it.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Wow! I guess this tells us they don't have much confidence in Cooper Rush? Seems strange considering what he did last year.

This at least tells us we're running the WCO. I wonder if the 9ers know something we don't.

KB1122

Reaction score
Maybe we have the Cowboys version of Dak being Brett Farve and Lance being Aaron Roger's. McCarthy has his hands all over this move.

It's not a common formula for finding a great quarterback, but there are cases of reclamation projects for high draft picks, especially with other teams - Len Dawson and Brett Favre come to mind. Plunkett. A little bit of Doug WIlliams and Drew Brees.

MiddleStar

Reaction score
319-519-4848-46-5

That is his stat line for every pass he has thrown, incliding high school!

He shouldn't have been a 1st round pick to begin with, and probably should have gone in the 4th anyway.

There is no way to develop him, because what he needs more than anything is reps. If we could send him to the XFL/USFL it might help but he has no chance of getting meaniful reps. 3rd string QBs get very few reps during the week. The best thing about him is he will give us an excellent scout team QB to replicate Hurts.

He probably could get more development if he switched to TE. Now we have to carry him on the 53, so that takes another roster spot from someone that is better than him.

Better QBs in the 4th next year than Lance. Wasted pick.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Whoa.

F4acfzHXEAAopbn
Does Lance know he won't start in Dallas?
Does he know the firestorm he will face in Dallas?
Is he ready to hold a clipboard forever?
Grier suddenly looks like Mahomes compared to Lance Trash.
Only our Cowboys are stupid enough to take Lance Trash. 31 teams are laughing at Jerry.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The amount of picks the 49ers gave up for Lance...and only got a 4th round pick in return.

Frankly dallas giving up a 4th round pick is too much for him but not going to throw a fit over it.
ALL DEPENDS ON THE MONEY. If niners pick up his pay...im ok with it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Personally I am good with the move, for a 4th definitely cool with it.

Yup, and it's a player who has some serious skills if he stays healthy. I think he can develop into quite a player for us. Plus, it gives us a possible starting QB on a rookie 1st round contract. So, the Cowboys can basically do whatever they want with signing players.

XXLMike

Reaction score
We probably would’ve been better off using the fourth round pick on an offensive lineman.

However, I’m very happy about adding this guy and I’m not sure he’s going to play quarterback.

This guy has some elite speed and elusiveness.
I could see bringing him in on the goal, line and special teams being used as a road pass option on a two point conversion, etc.

Good grab here

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is what the Cowboys need a developmental QB who is Young and can learn. Lance isn't trash. Use tour brain. No oline. And there medical staff is as$.
If you can get this kid learning you could get a 1st round down the road. Or you can replace Dak.
Business is business.
Think ahead.
We don't know what we have till we have it. We'll we have it now. Let's learn what we can do to propel him to be better

Plus, as I said a few moments ago, it's a young QB on a 1st round rookie contract. We have 3 years to develop him. We can sign whoever we want to take advantage of having a QB on a rookie contract. Essentially, the FO now has a lot of flexibility.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I know right! :lmao:
Absolute SCENES. I'm buzzing.
With the impending huge contracts for All Pros (Parsons, Lamb) the pie doesn't extend to everyone...unlucky Prescott.
It's written all over the wall.

If you fail AGAIN you're done, Dak.

He will crumble under the pressure of this.