Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

lkellyv

Reaction score
In the history of the NFL....when has a top 5 or top10 QB that didn't work out for the team that drafted him to be their franchise QB, later on make it somewhere else? Never. Top QBs that "bust" with their original team, really never even become good backups. They're just shot.
Off the top of my head, Ryan Tannehill and Steve Young. Not comparing Lance to either of those guys but just answering your scenario question. I’m sure there are others if one wanted to do a little research.

Flamma

Reaction score
He's strictly an RPO quarterback. Quick reads in the passing game, and a lot of running. He cannot be allowed to think.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Below is a list of the 14 QBs drafted in the 4th round who were ever listed as an opening day starter in the NFL. The list goes back to 1937 and 1040 QBs were drafted in the 4th over that period.

Out of the 4th this is your entire league's history cream of the crop from that round.

The league history shows that there is a 1.3% chance of getting a starter in the 4th round and a .2% chance of getting a Hall of Famer.

So my question is, "How big or a risk was this really?"

Dak PrescottCowboys
Kirk CousinsCommanders
Kyle OrtonBears
Aaron BrooksPackers
Rob JohnsonJaguars
Scott MitchellDolphins
Rich GannonPatriots
Steve BeuerleinRaiders
Mike PagelColts
Eric HippleLions
Vince FerragamoRams
Joe TheismannDolphins
Sonny JurgensenEagles
Norm Van BrocklinRams

mcmvp

Reaction score
All the talking head shows are drooling right now lol

Again…just what JJ wants. It’s all about the brand

bb721

Reaction score
20230825-193043.jpg

Lance has shown nothing in the NFL. He hardly had any college experience to even be worth using a 3rd overall pick. 49ers simply were trying to get a reasonable draft pick for Lance. 49ers know Trey Lance has nothing to offer, hence why they were trading him while willing to keep an undrafted QB in Purdy and another high draft bust in Darnold as a backup. Cowboys should have offered no higher than a 6th round pick. Cowboys got suckered once again.
:facepalm: :facepalm:
Purdy was drafted, not undrafted

Ken

Reaction score
Once Prescott gets injured, Trey lights it up...the front office need to be smart and force Prescott to request a trade. Make him train on his own, take away his locker and ban him from the training complex. He would be open to joining a team like the Saints then.
Don't think this isn't a message and bargaining chip to use against Dak in these renegotiation talks.

Dak can work.with the team or he will be go e in a couple of years. See Rodgers in GB and the jumerous other similar examples of this type move.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Pass Attempts by Dak Prescott last year despite missing 5 games to injury:

Pass Attempts by Trey Lance in all Preseason Games + All Regular Season Games + All Postseason Games + All College Games over the last SIX years:

One of the craziest stats you’ll ever read. Don’t know if that’s good or bad for Dallas, but it’ll be the excuse for either way he turns out

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Below is a list of the 14 QBs drafted in the 4th round who were ever listed as an opening day starter in the NFL. The list goes back to 1937 and 1040 QBs were drafted in the 4th over that period.

Out of the 4th this is your entire league's history cream of the crop from that round.

The league history shows that there is a 1.3% chance of getting a starter in the 4th round and a .2% chance of getting a Hall of Famer.

So my question is, "How big or a risk was this really?"

Dak PrescottCowboys
Kirk CousinsCommanders
Kyle OrtonBears
Aaron BrooksPackers
Rob JohnsonJaguars
Scott MitchellDolphins
Rich GannonPatriots
Steve BeuerleinRaiders
Mike PagelColts
Eric HippleLions
Vince FerragamoRams
Joe TheismannDolphins
Sonny JurgensenEagles
Norm Van BrocklinRams
FWIW, MM turned Gannon's career around in KC before he went on to the Raiders.

rambo2

Reaction score
Schefter was on 104.3 the fan here in Denver yesterday and they asked him if Denver should look at Lance.

He said the Niners were looking to get a 6th round pick for him as he was essentially their number 4 QB after camp.

Once again Jerry gave up too much, at least it was just a 4th I guess.
Again? What about 5ths for Cooks and Gillmore?

75boyz

Reaction score
Man, you guys are clueless.
Life is good.
We've got Mike "the Quarterback Whisperer" McCarthy as HC.
And now we've either got a Montana with Steve Young coming off the bench...
OR a Favre with Rodgers coming off the bench playing out before our very eyes.

I'm talkin multiple Lombardis.
Book it.

It's not even fair.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
why is this bad? The owner and coaches are trying to improve the team. Sheesh, it's like you don't want to try another QB, because your guy might get his feelings hurt. Strange, very strange. I don't care who they trade for or get. To me, it shows they are not satisfied and are actually finally trying to improve the team.

Bizwah

Reaction score
You dont make this trade if you are comfortable w Dak as your guy long-term
I don't agree here.

Do you think the Packers weren't comfortable with Favre when they picked Rodgers in round one? What about the 49ers with Montana and Young?

The team discussed drafting a QB last April. It's always good policy to have a young one on the roster to develop. I remember we drafted Stephen McGee in the fourth round when Romo was in his prime.

Now, there may be some merit into speculating that JJ may be a little worried about being able to extend Dak. But I think the Coaches, Scouts, and Management feel Dak is there guy.