Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

quickccc

Reaction score
He's played four games with a 2-2 record.
- Yet Shanahan has traded away with a guy they traded several very high premium picks to move up to get
in the top 3 overall of the the NFL draft ?

- Yet Lance was the 3rd string QB behind undrafted Purdy and previous 1st round bust Sam Donald on
the current roster ?

- What is it about Trey Lance that QB guru Shanahan decided he had to move away from ?

ccb04

Reaction score
The good, the bad, and the ugly:

The Ugly: Shanahan was able to take Jimmy G to a super bowl and Brock Purdy (who was pulled from a 3 Int game in college), to the NFC Championship. Meanwhile, the guy they moved up to #3 overall to get after trading (3) 1st round picks & a 3rd, is sent packing with 2 years left on his rookie deal.

The Bad: Lance couldn't even beat out former #1 overall disappointment Sam Darnold for the backup job!

The Good: Taking a flier for a 4th and reportedly less than $7 million guaranteed isn't terrible.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
why is this bad? The owner and coaches are trying to improve the team. Sheesh, it's like you don't want to try another QB, because your guy might get his feelings hurt. Strange, very strange. I don't care who they trade for or get. To me, it shows they are not satisfied and are actually finally trying to improve the team.
When Lance proves to continue being a bust, you'd better show up and admit you were wrong. I seriously doubt you will own it though.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Soooooooooooooooooooo....

Question... does Grier stay on the roster and get a chance to impress another team tomorrow night... or does Rush play the whole game?
Rush is probably bubble wrapped and Grier plays the whole game. Grier won’t make the roster though. Rush is locked in as backup and Lance is the developmental qb.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Niners knew they wouldn’t get anything for Darnold so it made Lance expendable because they could atleast get a pick for him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Why do we care if Mike can develop him or not?

Nobody gonna trade anything for somebody they never see play.

The Cowboys don't operate in your scenario. Jerry never in his life made a trade to develop a player to trade down the road.
Really.

The Packers and Pats have done this for years. You protect your #1 and don't play him in preseason. Get a backup to perform well and then trade him for more assets than you spent for him.

Jerry has always wanted to take a chance on guys he was high on during previous drafts.

Stop making everything about Dak. If this is about Dak, it is about him being a good guy who will mentor Trey so that he can have success down the line.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
what does it matter if he's a bust? They are trying to improve the position. It's like you are a player over a team. Very strange.
Not at all. You know darn well I have been demanding the Cowboys draft Dak's replacement for the future, especially if Dak continues to remain super greedy with contract negotiations, but Trey Lance is simply not it. Horrible pick up.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It’s a good deal if we don’t have to pay the roster bonuses. Otherwise he make 5 mil next year
I guarantee he gets a deal like Jordan Love did last offseason. The Cowboys could pick up his 5th year option as well. He will get three years at least to prove himself.