Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

Shadowfax

Reaction score
A 4th rounder was a good return for a complete bust. They did good cutting their losses.

They should have used that 4th on a NEW rookie QB that at least has a chance.

In the history of the NFL....when has a top 5 or top10 QB that didn't work out for the team that drafted him to be their franchise QB, later on make it somewhere else? Never. Top QBs that "bust" with their original team, really never even become good backups. They're just shot.

Jerruh just treated that 4th rounder like it was found money, or pocket change that means nothing. Lance woulda been cut.
Steve Young

mcmvp

Reaction score
But where I don’t get it is from Dak’s perspective.

Dak might not be a top 8-10 QB (though he is sometimes) but he’s miles better than Lance.

All this does is increase the media drama on the QB position for the Cowboys. Just what Dak needs.

The more I think about it, the more it just looks like another Jerry Jones play for more attention to his team. It’s a drug for him.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Can he play though? Talent is just a word. Like people saying bumman fat is talented with nothing really proving it
We will find out next preseason. Let’s just say this Lance is bigger, stronger, faster, and more talented than Dak. The 49ers traded 3 first round picks for his talent.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
You have to take the approach that Lance is still young, inexperienced much like Jordan Love. 49ers got lucky when Purdy fell in their lap and showed he can do the job......49ers will be hating life...if Purdy is junk this year and they are stuck with Sam Darnold....I love the trade....the upside is huge and the downside is only a 4th pick and low cap hit

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
What cha think? I think Dak is better and the kid didn’t look to have much upside. I hope I’m wrong! At least they did SOMETHING at the QB position. I hope Dak feels the heat.
It makes my stomach hurt. dak will be pressured and when he fails, the chants will start. oh my, I'm about to wipe a tear from my face. I haven't felt this bad since they got rid of jason garrett.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Something else to consider. They now have a legitimate player to simulate the run options in practice. Hopefully they can now learn how to defend them. I wonder if this is a response to the contract talks they reportedly had with Dak. No other way to look at this as the first move in preparation of possibly not resigning Dak. Not saying they won’t but this time they may have a little leverage on their side if Lance shows them anything.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboys McClay probably had a very high grade on Trey Lance per his draft status
- and apparently still think very high of him.

This is about Both McClay and McCarthy coaches and player personnel combined.

I admit that I am mixed viewed about this:

1) If we can invest picks in Josh Ball, Neville Gallimore, Wright or even Joseph's,.. why not take a chance on the most
most demanding position in the NFL in the QB position ?

2) Only the Flip side still does remain,.. If QB guru QB friendly Shanahan could not get anything outta physically
talented Lance, the way he could win with Grapp and Purdy, what makes us think McCarthy- Schott will ?
Why did QB guru Shanahan Shanahan give up on him ? A 4th round pick for a backup QB that seems far
more athlete than he is a player ?

3) I could say it's not totally outta the question, look at what happened to " previous 1st round bust " Gino Smith
in Seattle to turn around his career. But Gino flat out had to start and play to iron out the wrinkles.
Trey is not gonna be a starter here - won't even be the No.2 guy vs Cooper Rush THIS year.

4) Lance is not starting over Dak, and not the heir apparent to Dak. Not the leader Dak is.
He is and will be an invested backup to Dak. Now that does immediately changes my 53 man roster.
and we do have to cut another projected player off 53 roster and Trey will be carried as No.3 on the 53 roster
not on a practice squad.