Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

CCBoy

Reaction score
The man who made the trade, 49ers general manager John Lynch, spoke to the team’s announcing crew, broadcasting the game on KPIX-TV, during the second quarter of the Niners’ preseason game against the Chargers at Levi’s Stadium.

Here’s what he had to say about trading Lance and the 23-year-old quarterback’s stunningly short tenure in the Bay:

“Really hard day. Such a wonderful young man. We took a shot, and it didn’t work out. We own that. We take accountability for it.

I think… his story is very much unwritten. I’m excited for Trey. Dallas stepped up and really wanted him. They came after him.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/0...cowboys-we-took-a-shot-and-it-didnt-work-out/

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the trade. For a 4th round pick, it’s a nice gamble. But this is playing the long game not the short. I firmly believe Lance was acquired as a future developmental hedge. I like the trade but not for the reasons too many here are thinking.

Some points:
  • Trey Lance has lots of RAW talent - emphasis on raw. He’s NOT ready to play as a starting QB yet. If he was, the niners wouldn’t have traded him.
  • Kyle Shanahan is an excellent offensive mind and developer of QBs. If he felt Lance was ready and capable NOW in their system, he would absolutely still be a 49er.
  • The Cowboys acquired TL for the long term possibilities he could become. NOT the short term.
Having said all that this is an aggressive move by a FO that had stopped being aggressive recently.

T-RO

Reaction score
Wow this thread is ultra chippy. I guess I'm not contributing to that tone as I haven't had a drink yet tonight. LOL

I just watched Lance's plays in preseason game 2 against Broncos. He played in second half.
-Trey had 4 or 5 nice throws, a good scramble and one nice run
-He had one really poor decision/throw that was intercepted
-He had another kinda crazy play that was almost picked...the kind of play that makes people say, WTH?

He didn't look poised at all, nor as someone who was in charge of the offense. The way the 49ers announcers commented on his play it seemed like they view him as fragile or damaged goods.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I like the trade. For a 4th round pick, it’s a nice gamble. But this is playing the long game not the short. I firmly believe Lance was acquired as a future developmental hedge. I like the trade but not for the reasons too many here are thinking.

Some points:
  • Trey Lance has lots of RAW talent - emphasis on raw. He’s NOT ready to play as a starting QB yet. If he was, the niners wouldn’t have traded him.
  • Kyle Shanahan is an excellent offensive mind and developer of QBs. If he felt Lance was ready and capable NOW in their system, he would absolutely still be a 49er.
  • The Cowboys acquired TL for the long term possibilities he could become. NOT the short term.
Having said all that this is an aggressive move by a FO that had stopped being aggressive recently.
A 4th is not aggressive. It is buying low on a chance investment. You didn't say it but you know this is not about Dak. It is about buying low and selling high.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I root for Dak... im a COWBOYS FAN. I hope Dak wins MVP... so do not confuse where my loyalties are. And yes... Rush is a back up. If he were a starter hed be on another team. BUT, hes our backup and he was 4-1 last year and he kept us in the hunt. Dak returned and the stunk it uo against the niners. BUT, Rush did what he was paid to do.... give us a chance. Dak is paid to win... he didnt do that.
Ha! yeah ok

Dorsett33

Reaction score
what are you smoking. i live in norcal..... Lance has been PATHETIC. You are right, I dont need to make it up... it is what it is.
Dude is a rookie with very good raw skills. He played what? 4 games? You gotta be kidding me. I've seen him play. Dude is talented. Just needs to slow the game down for himself....lol

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I’ll waste a 4th but I don’t expect anything. He hasn’t been good and isn’t good. The 9ers gave up on really quick. He’ll take a roster spot and that’s about it.

lk8701

Reaction score
Steve Young and Brett Favre didn't pan out with their 1st teams. Trey will get his opportunity next season if Dak doesn't get it done this season.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Not true at all. Many thought SF made a big mistake.

Lance was handed the starting job in 22, correct. Didn't earn it, got handed the job. And then proceeded to complete less than 50% of his passes w/ 0 TD's and 1 INT.

SF was desperate to start him, but he kept sucking and getting hurt.
He started one game in a monsoon then broke his leg the next week. Shanahan never liked him. Let’s see what Lance does in practice. Well worth the lottery ticket.

plasticman

Reaction score
This is what you call contract leverage.

Jerry dictate's Dak's future contract. If Dak doesn't like it then Trey becomes "the Man"......theoretically.

There is a tremendous risk. Suppose Trey Lance can't even beat out Cooper Rush. The leverage goes in the opposite direction and Jerry wasted a 4th round pick on a broken quarterback. Not only that, he now has to contend with Dak's agent.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
What a waste. Would rather keep the 4th rounder. Lynch high fiving everyone after he dumped their trash.
I doubt Lynch is high fiving anyone. I bet ownership let him have it for trading 3 firsts. I don’t care what anyone says that is going to cost San Francisco in the end.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm giving you my first like ever. Even though you stabbed Rush. Rush balled and did exactly what his job was. Win football games. Dak is paid to win championship games. He hasn't. This is a great pickup. See what having a chance at a legit QB playing for your team does to a fan base?
They got him to possibly be the backup. Right now he’s 3rd string.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This is what you call contract leverage.

Jerry dictate's Dak's future contract. If Dak doesn't like it then Trey becomes "the Man"......theoretically.

There is a tremendous risk. Suppose Trey Lance can't even beat out Cooper Rush. The leverage goes in the opposite direction and Jerry wasted a 4th round pick on a broken quarterback. Not only that, he now has to contend with Dak's agent.
How would the outcome of a fourth round pick affect contract negotiations? It just keeps the situation to the status quo where there is only Dak worth starting on the roster.

T-RO

Reaction score
I doubt Lynch is high fiving anyone. I bet ownership let him have it for trading 3 firsts. I don’t care what anyone says that is going to cost San Francisco in the end.
2019: 13-3, got to Super Bowl
2021: 10-7, got to NFC championship game
2022: 13-4, got to NFC championship game
2023: viewed as top 5 team

Debacle of a trade for sure, but you can be sure ownership is very, very happy with Lynch. They've got a great roster a very promising QB, and a solid backup QB.

plasticman

Reaction score
How would the outcome of a fourth round pick affect contract negotiations? It just keeps the situation to the status quo where there is only Dak worth starting on the roster.
I agree that Trey Lance will be ineffective this season and doesn't pose a realistic threat to Dak's starting position. However, is this how Jerry sees it?

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
For a 4th its worth the project pick. And the fact its for a QB makes it good we still need a decent backup QB so hopefully he can develop for another year.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
2019: 13-3, got to Super Bowl
2021: 10-7, got to NFC championship game
2022: 13-4, got to NFC championship game
2023: viewed as top 5 team

Debacle of a trade for sure, but you can be sure ownership is very, very happy with Lynch. They've got a great roster a very promising QB, and a solid backup QB.
No Super Bowl and took a home run shot with the trade for Lance. I think ownership is happy with Shanahan but Lynch better hope they win the Super Bowl this season. I bet Shanahan is the reason they traded Lance not Lynch.