Signed by Cowboys 49ers Trade QB Trey Lance to the Cowboys for 2024 4th round pick

plasticman

Reaction score
He doesn't know the offense with the season a week away, so your shot seems gratuitous as opposed to insightful.

What difference does how Jerry sees it make? Unless the club uses it as a stated ploy in negotiations I just do not see what you are asserting. Given the above reality I don't see them doing so even if down the line they see the possibility. It is an obvious empty threat.

Next season if Lance makes significant progress then sure but even then it would be self evident and a reality.
Really?

In 2010 the Cowboys drafted Dez Bryant. He was injured in training camp and didn't play a single down of preseason football. Nor did he participate in a single practice during training camp.

And yet, there he was in the first quarter of game #1, in the first drive. Right away Romo threw two consecutive sideline passes to him that netted a total of -1 yards. Why was he playing at that particular time? My theory is Jerry wanted to show off his new toy.

My point is that Jerry isn't really a true GM because he doesn't think like a true GM. A part of his mentality, the "owner side", is going to want to involve Trey Lance, somehow, this season. I don't mean he will start, but it could involve designed plays. Successful results of those plays could be used as leverage in contract negotiations.

You are going to say that is crazy, the idea is pure fantasy. Well for pure fantasy, how about this quote from Jerry Jones?

"Emmit Smith is a luxury, not a necessity."

Jerry said that during Emmitt's contract negotiations in 1993. Emmitt sat out, the Cowboys lost their first two games, Emmitt came back, the Cowboys became the first team to go 0-2 and still win the Super Bowl and Emmitt was it's MVP.

If contract negotiations get ugly Jerry Jones will mention the name of Trey Lance. He shouldn't but he will.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Wow… woke up in the UK to see this news. Weird. Feels like we are in bizzaro world.

Anyway— lots of overreacting on this trade lol. This is a very minor move for a player that has had major struggles. IMO— This move is crafty on a few levels for Dallas:

1. This is a classic low risk/high reward move. TL has a lot of raw tools, if he develops, this is not just a good move— it would be a GREAT move. If he doesn’t, we lost a 4th round pick.

2. This puts a little (very little) pressure on Dak. There is no way Dak looks over his shoulder at TL as a threat— BUT, he also can’t sit back and think the FO is unwilling to make a move and consider “life after Dak.” In other words— the reality is that his career clock is ticking louder than ever, and Dak will have to deliver. This move reinforces that message to Dak and his agent.

3. Tush Push, RPO, gadget QB plays have been upgraded. While TL is clearly not better than Dak, and is not even ready to be a #2 since he is raw and needs to learn the playbook— I do think MM can create 10-15 specific situational plays for TL that use his legs and athleticism that can help us in some ways on the field this year.

No one knows what the long term implications of this move are. Too many questions need to be answered. Does this move make us a better team? Yes. We have a gadget option at QB for certain packages which will improve athleticism on the field in certain looks, and we have a (slim) chance Lance may eventually develop into a starting caliber QB at the cost of a mid round pick.

Risk worth taking? Debate-able. But I am fine with this minor trade and am interested to see how things play out for TL as things can literally only go up for the kid.

T-RO

Reaction score
Upon the 50th page of this thread...We interrupt this transmission with this important and startling bulletin:
Dak Prescott is the starting quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Our fates rise or fall with him, and only him at quarterback for the next few years.

Some say he's a top 8 QB. Some say top 15. Some say he needs lots of talent surrounding him to win big. (check your history, who doesn't?).

You have every right to root against him and to root against Cowboys success. Just be mindful that Dak's success and Cowboys success (and perhaps your soul) are merged and fired into one metal. One potential ring of power.

I support Dak Prescott. 101%.

Last edited:

hutch1254

Reaction score
I doubt Lynch is high fiving anyone. I bet ownership let him have it for trading 3 firsts. I don’t care what anyone says that is going to cost San Francisco in the end.
True but the fact he was able to get a pick and pull off a trade for a guy that should have been just an outright roster cut...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Shortly after trading him, 49ers general manager John Lynch said that the Cowboys "really wanted" Trey Lance, the former No. 3 overall pick who had recently been demoted to third string. Dallas ultimately acquired Lance after giving the 49ers a 2024 fourth-round pick.

Two years ago, the Cowboys had a second-round grade on Lance prior to the start of the 2021 NFL Draft, according to ESPN. San Francisco obviously thought higher of Lance, as it selected him instead of fellow quarterback Justin Fields, who was selected by the Bears six spots later.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...er-49ers-qb-before-2021-nfl-draft-per-report/

Things didn't work out in San Francisco, but fresh starts can do wonders for a player, and that could be the case for Lance, who could unlock his potential in Dallas under Mike McCarthy's tutelage. Lance has the luxury of working with Prescott, who should be an ideal mentor for the young quarterback.

This fan is not about to start questioning the Cowboys talent evaluators!

dwreck27

Reaction score
49ers gave up 3 1's to get him, its a steal man.
We are a couple of years and new injuries since that draft day…

A 4th rounder has been a round we’ve found starters in for years… we got us a 3rd string QB this year. Yay.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Defend Dak as much as you want but this is a definite "prove it Dak" year or else JJ now has a candidate to take over as the starter next season. Let's see how Dak handles pressure now. LOL

lopey

Reaction score
This board would have exploded if the Cowboys had traded a 4th for Sam Donald but it's ok to trade a 4th for the guy Donald beat out...LOL
We know what Darnold is. We really don’t know what Lance is yet. Only played 4 games. He has potential and got a 4th I’m all in

CCBoy

Reaction score
Defend Dak as much as you want but this is a definite "prove it Dak" year or else JJ now has a candidate to take over as the starter next season. Let's see how Dak handles pressure now. LOL
Same goes with McCarthy as well...

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I wouldn’t have gave a 4th up for him but I like the idea of getting him. Even if he’s a backup he’s worth a fourth.
Oh so now he's worth a 4th and now you like trading for him and his contract? You didn't say that recently. LOL

TheMarathonContinues

Well-Known Member​

Messages65,894Reaction score60,272
A team lower on the waiver wire.

Say Tampa wanted to acquire him but they made the postseason. They would risk all the pre non playoff teams claiming Lance.

I think his value is low but not a straight up cut, yet.
I don’t think he’s cut status yet but for me personally I’m not trading for him or his contract. It’s not like the guys in front of him are great and all camp long they’ve been letting out his bad he’s been.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is now the second time that his presence Lance had long termed implications for this year's Cowboys team:

In March 2021, with Lance's stock rising as a first-round prospect and 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo coming off a serious ankle injury, San Francisco acquired the No. 3 pick from the Dolphins in exchange for the No. 12 pick, first- and third-rounders in 2022 and a first-rounder in 2023. We know what the 49ers got -- Trey Lance. Now here's what happened with all they sent in return:

The Dolphins took the No. 12 pick, plus a fourth-rounder and 2022 first-rounder, and traded them to the Eagles in exchange for the No. 6 pick and a fifth-rounder. At No. 6, Miami took wide receiver Jaylen Waddle, who through two seasons has eclipsed 2,300 yards as one of the NFL's top young pass catchers.

The Eagles, meanwhile, took the No. 12 pick they got from the Dolphins -- a pick that originated with the 49ers -- and traded it again, sending it to the Cowboys along with a third-rounder (acquired from the Colts in exchange for Wentz) to move up to No. 10. There, they drafted WR DeVonta Smith, who like Waddle has emerged as one of the NFL's best young players at his position, with 2,100 yards in two years.

The Cowboys found a stud of their own with the No. 12 pick, using it to select linebacker Micah Parsons, who's already a face of the league with 26.5 sacks and 56 QB hits through two dominant seasons as Dallas' top pass rusher.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ade-and-how-other-teams-involved-struck-gold/

CCBoy

Reaction score

Trey Lance in Cowboys Jersey​

We cooked up the first look of Dallas’ newest QB in blue and white

svuoobf3nlpjilqlmk3p.png

Bleacher Report