4th Quarter, 3 TD Lead, Meaningless Game

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
That's not cool.

Just because we've found our future (and present) in Dak doesn't mean we need to kick Romo to the curb in some display of disrespect.

"Bye Felicia"? What the hell is wrong with some of you. The guy literally broke his back trying to carry this team to the promised land so fans like you could have something to cheer for. Get outta here with your "Bye Felicia"s or whatever other memes you have to disrespect Romo with.

I don't understand why there are people who cannot prop up Dak without slighting Romo. It doesn't have to be that way. They are both very very good football,players. One is just at the end of his career and the other's is just starting.
Look.. while you're all getting sentimental, I am keeping it real. While Romo has "literally broken his back" for the cause, he has also "literally broken my heart" on several crucial occasions over the years with gifts given during crunch time. In some of his most memorable attempts to thread the needle, he often gave presents to opposing defenses during the holidays. A proverbial Santa at the helm for our Dallas Cowboys.

So if we are going to get all emotional about Romo, let's also remember the occasions where our hearts were literally snatched from our chests.

daveferr33

Reaction score
Why be so disrespectful to Tony, Bleu? Dak's the starter. No reasonable person denies it. It's kind of sad that the players can handle the competition with so much more grace than the fans apparently can, don't you think?

Its been a black cloud hanging over the season. I've had to limit my visits to the site somewhat. I want to come here and celebrate the great season, the exciting future behind two great rookies and the best O-line I've ever seen, and (of course) Sean Lee playing like the best linebacker in football.

But then to have to confront the disrespect toward Romo. I have no doubt that Romo would be having a great season and leading the team to the same or better record. But I completely understand why you roll with Dak. The experience he is gaining this season will serve him for the rest of his career. That was worth giving him the starting job permanently. But you have to be a stone-hearted, cold individual to not appreciate what Romo has done for this franchise and to not feel something about the position he is currently in.

But thanks @Idgit for being a voice of reason in this regard.

lwehlers

Reaction score
dak Prescott is the starting quarterback he has all the right to have all the snaps the coaches want him to. I have no problem having dak take all the snaps.

Proximo

Reaction score
Look.. while you're all getting sentimental, I am keeping it real. While Romo has "literally broken his back" for the cause, he has also "literally broken my heart" on several crucial occasions over the years with gifts given during crunch time. In some of his most memorable attempts to thread the needle, he often gave presents to opposing defenses during the holidays. A proverbial Santa at the helm for our Dallas Cowboys.

So if we are going to get all emotional about Romo, let's also remember the occasions where our hearts were literally snatched from our chests.

There's something to be said about the value of showing respect. Your "bye Felicia" post was trashy.

If you want to defend that, that's on you. But it's a weak thing to say, and even weaker thing to defend.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What in the world are you even talking about?

Whoever said that Romo was kept out of the game because his feelings might be hurt otherwise, or that the media might take it a certain way?

Why all the sudden does Dak need to be protected and pulled from the game?

Romo's role is to step in for Dak in the event that he gets injured. Why is this so confusing?

Because that's not the true role of a backup quarterback, and everybody knows it, even the apologists.

Starting quarterbacks are protected. Part of the backup's role is to take the meaningless snaps to protect the starter from unnecessary risk of injury.

If you yourself weren't aware of that, it was what the team actually did with Ezekiel Elliott last night, so you can't feign ignorance of the common practice.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Resting Dak/playing Romo is not a no-brainer. There are reasonable arguments to both sides. I presented the logic of the play-Dak side. You can give the crotchety old man routine a rest.

No, you only think you did. Once again you try to pass off excuse-making and your own thoughts as "logic". And once again, you fail.

It doesn't relate to risking the QB. It related to managing media perception, obviously. Smart teams do that.

So yeah, like I said it doesn't "relate.

Save the keystrokes, having Romo active with no role to play wasn't smart, no matter how people may try to excuse it.

Proximo

Reaction score
Because that's not the true role of a backup quarterback, and everybody knows it, even the apologists.

Starting quarterbacks are protected. Part of the backup's role is to take the meaningless snaps to protect the starter from unnecessary risk of injury.

If you yourself weren't aware of that, it was what the team actually did with Ezekiel Elliott last night, so you can't feign ignorance of the common practice.

Meh, not every situation is the same. Not every backup QB has the same exact role on every team.

Pulling Elliott made sense. There are some obvious differences between his situation and Dak's.

I'm not understanding all the butt hurt about Dak staying in the game. I expect he'll be riding the bench during the 3rd or 4th quarter next week though.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
There's something to be said about the value of showing respect. Your "bye Felicia" post was trashy.

If you want to defend that, that's on you. But it's a weak thing to say, and even weaker thing to defend.
Call it what you will but for the past 8 weeks I have watched plenty of hand wringing over putting Romo back in. Not to ceremoniously kneel or whatever... To take over.

Zero respect for what Dak has continued to do not only winning games bit inserting a dominant confident winning culture in Big D. Dak has done so much leading by example all season long. Yet still, I can guarantee you there are STILL a few out there that belittle his contribution. That's silly and trashy IMO.

I just read it in this very thread again.

"I have no doubt Romo would have done what Dak has done if he had been in there all season but..."
I have no doubt that Romo would be having a great season and leading the team to the same or better record. But

LMAO. Shade in disguise. That is exactly what I'm talking about. You roll with Dak because he made it clear in the very first game of the regular season in LA that he was going to bring so much change to the table. Positive unshakable confidence. It had infected the rest of our team... Even the defense.

And... For the record again, I saw all of this in the first preseason game. While ppl were calling it another wash of a season and me crazy for embracing Dak, he was sharpening his tool set and getting ready to give us a season for the ages.

Put some respeck on his name.

Last edited:

Proximo

Reaction score

Save the keystrokes, having Romo active with no role to play wasn't smart, no matter how people may try to excuse it.

His role is to relieve Dak in the event of an injury. How many times do you need to be told this?

How many times are you inaccurately going to state that Romo was active with no role?

He clearly has a role. Maybe you disagree with that role, but that's obviously different than him not having one at all.

bounce

Reaction score
Nine pages in, so I'm sure my thoughts aren't anything new - but if Dak is the guy we're rolling with through the playoffs (and we obviously are), then Dak needs to be in there. Not for his reps, but for reps with the guys who will probably be playing with him at a point. McFadden is more likely to see time than Romo, so I want him taking handoffs from Dak. The receivers need to be catching passes from Dak and the line needs to be blocking for Dak. Running an entire second unit out there doesn't do much, because they're probably not going to be on the field at the same time, anyway.

I imagine he's under very strict instructions to throw the ball away or get out of bounds, but it's better to lock up the chemistry rather than pull guys. If you're sitting guys in "meaningless games" at the end of the season, you're essentially asking them to go into their first playoff game having not played in ~3 weeks. Rust would be a huge factor in that game.

Scotman

Reaction score
Comparable Rookie QB seasons...

Payton Manning: 16 GP, 56.7% comp., 3,739 yards, 26 TDs, 28 INTs, 15 carries, 62 rushing yards
Jameis Winston: 16 GP, 58.3% comp., 4,042 yards, 22 TDs, 15 INTs, 54 carries, 213 rushing yards, 6 rushing TDs.
Andy Dalton: 16 GP, 58.1% comp., 3,398 yards, 20 TDs, 13 INTs, 37 carries, 152 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD.
Andrew Luck: 16 GP, 54.1% comp., 4,374 yards, 23 TDs, 18 INTs, 62 carries, 255 rushing yards, 5 rushing TDs.
Matt Ryan: 16 GP, 61.1% comp., 3,440 yards, 16 TDs, 11 INTs, 55 carries, 104 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD.
Dan Marino: 11 GP, 58.4% comp., 2,210 yards, 20 TDs, 6 INTs, 28 carries, 45 rushing yards, 2 rushing TDs
Russell Wilson: 16 GP, 64.1% comp., 3,118 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs, 94 carries, 489 rushing yards, 4 rushing TDs.
Cam Newton: 16 GP, 60.0% comp., 4,051 yards, 21 TDs, 17 INTs, 126 carries, 706 rushing yards, 14 rushing TDs.
RGIII: 15 GP, 65.4% comp., 3,200 yards, 20 TDs, 5 INTs, 120 carries, 815 rushing yards, 7 rushing TDs.
Roethlessburger: 14 GP, 66.4% comp., 2,621 yards, 17 TDs, 11 INTs, 56 carries, 144 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD.

Dak: 15GP, 67.7% comp., 3630 yards, 23 TDs, 4 INTs, 56 carries, 273 rushing yards, 6 rushing TDs.

I can't format that, but Dak has the highest completion percentage, the best TD/interception ratio, the lowest number of interceptions per game, the most number of games won, the most number of games won in a row, the second highest completion percentage in NFL history for one game...and made the Probowl and is in the league MVP conversation.

I love Romo. But I'm not pulling Dak out of the game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meh, not every situation is the same. Not every backup QB has the same exact role on every team.

Oh bull****! Keep the lame excuses to yourself.

Pulling Elliott made sense. There are some obvious differences between his situation and Dak's.

No there aren't. But you keep grasping. The difference isn't their "situations", the different are with their supposed "backup's situations"

I'm not understanding all the butt hurt about Dak staying in the game. I expect he'll be riding the bench during the 3rd or 4th quarter next week though.

That looks to be intentional "not understanding". If you want to cover your own eyes, I can't stop you. Just don't try to do it to anyone else.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His role is to relieve Dak in the event of an injury. How many times do you need to be told this?

How many times are you inaccurately going to state that Romo was active with no role?

He clearly has a role. Maybe you disagree with that role, but that's obviously different than him not having one at all.

It's not fulfilling all of the roles of the backup quarterback.

You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its been a black cloud hanging over the season. I've had to limit my visits to the site somewhat. I want to come here and celebrate the great season, the exciting future behind two great rookies and the best O-line I've ever seen, and (of course) Sean Lee playing like the best linebacker in football.

But then to have to confront the disrespect toward Romo. I have no doubt that Romo would be having a great season and leading the team to the same or better record. But I completely understand why you roll with Dak. The experience he is gaining this season will serve him for the rest of his career. That was worth giving him the starting job permanently. But you have to be a stone-hearted, cold individual to not appreciate what Romo has done for this franchise and to not feel something about the position he is currently in.

But thanks @Idgit for being a voice of reason in this regard.

It really is so unnecessary. We're very fortunate to have two good players at the position back:back. And then to have the players handle the competition with such style. I wish the fans could emulate that class better than they do.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
If Dak gets hurt, you instantly get better at the position, so no anxiety there. Let the kid play!

How does it feel being wrong constantly? Remember when you told me that there was no chance Romo doesn't come back and start and I was a troll? That was great. It eats you up inside that we are 13-2 and it has zero to do with your idol. :laugh::clap:

Proximo

Reaction score
Call it what you will but for the past 8 weeks I have watched plenty of hand wringing over putting Romo back in. Not to ceremoniously kneel or whatever... To take over.

Zero respect for what Dak has continued to do not only winning games bit inserting a dominant confident winning culture in Big D. Dak has done so much leading by example all season long. Yet still, I can guarantee you there are STILL a few out there that belittle his contribution. That's silly and trashy IMO.

I just read it in this very thread again.

"I have no doubt Romo would have done what Dak has done if he had been in there all season but..."

LMAO. Shade in disguise. That is exactly what I'm talking about. You roll with Dak because he made it clear in the very first game of the regular season in LA that he was going to bring so much change to the table. Positive unshakable confidence. It had infected the rest of our team... Even the defense.

And... For the record again, I saw all of this in the first preseason game. While ppl were calling it another wash of a season and me crazy for embracing Dak, he was sharpening his tool set and getting ready to give us a season for the ages.

Put some respeck on his name.

So because some fans wanted Romo to start over Dak, you disrespect Romo. Makes a lot sense. :rolleyes:

Maybe try taking your issue up with those fans? Why be disrespectful towards Romo?

If anything Romo has handled this situation like a true pro and teammate. He's been there to support Dak every step of the way. And you want to trash the guy? Like I said, weak.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Nine pages in, so I'm sure my thoughts aren't anything new - but if Dak is the guy we're rolling with through the playoffs (and we obviously are), then Dak needs to be in there. Not for his reps, but for reps with the guys who will probably be playing with him at a point. McFadden is more likely to see time than Romo, so I want him taking handoffs from Dak. The receivers need to be catching passes from Dak and the line needs to be blocking for Dak. Running an entire second unit out there doesn't do much, because they're probably not going to be on the field at the same time, anyway.

I imagine he's under very strict instructions to throw the ball away or get out of bounds, but it's better to lock up the chemistry rather than pull guys. If you're sitting guys in "meaningless games" at the end of the season, you're essentially asking them to go into their first playoff game having not played in ~3 weeks. Rust would be a huge factor in that game.
A level headed post. Wow. Thank you. I haven't read all of the pages either because I already know it's more of the same back & forth emotion.

We are in the best position we've been in for over 15 years to win a Super Bowl.

This emotion will go away once the much heralded Tony Romo is finally donning a different colored jersey in the offseason.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
How does it feel being wrong constantly? Remember when you told me that there was no chance Romo doesn't come back and start and I was a troll? That was great. It eats you up inside that we are 13-2 and it has zero to do with your idol. :laugh::clap:
The fantasies that you play over and over in your head aren't really true, troll. Nice try though.