5 greatest Cowboys ever: name 'em

theSHOW

Reaction score
Emmitt
Irvin
Aikman
Staubach
Allen

Can't knock any of the players you list.
Note: The Dallas Cowboys went to the playoffs every single year but 1 from years 1965 thru 1983. Only 1 player listed from the entire era?
https://encrypted-tbn3.***NOT-ALLOWED***/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbVL7rSE5URlQS4ZGcdN4ibz1rhAEHxY5RjEK043XQU-QB1ToC&usqp=CAE

bsheeern

Reaction score
Very Very hard to do this but if it's Players Only-

1. Irvin - HOF'er in any era & could Motivate a Rock to Walk to water. No One stopped him, not even Deion.
2. Randy White - HOF'er in any Era. Dominated & Intimidated the best the Game has Ever seen.
3. Larry Allen - HOF'er in any era & it could have been at either Guard or Tackle. Best I've ever Seen blocking.
4. Bob Lilly - again HOF'er in any era. The man was Born to control the Trenches.
5. Roger Staubach - He's Montana mixed with Steve Young holding an American flag while eating Apple pie.

NOW take this list, reverse 1-5 and I couldn't make 1 argument against it. It's that TOUGH to narrow it down to Just 5, much less put them in order.

theSHOW

Reaction score
Very Very hard to do this but if it's Players Only-

1. Irvin - HOF'er in any era & could Motivate a Rock to Walk to water. No One stopped him, not even Deion.
2. Randy White - HOF'er in any Era. Dominated & Intimidated the best the Game has Ever seen.
3. Larry Allen - HOF'er in any era & it could have been at either Guard or Tackle. Best I've ever Seen blocking.
4. Bob Lilly - again HOF'er in any era. The man was Born to control the Trenches.
5. Roger Staubach - He's Montana mixed with Steve Young holding an American flag while eating Apple pie.

NOW take this list, reverse 1-5 and I couldn't make 1 argument against it. It's that TOUGH to narrow it down to Just 5, much less put them in order.

love the list and made me laugh. Lets agree that these guys were not just some of the best of the best but the absolute toughest players on the gridiron.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Mr. Cowboy, Bob Lilly
Captain America, Roger Staubach
The Rushing Champion, Emmitt Smith
The NFL's Strongest man, Larry Allen
The Manster, Randy White

Hos, I think you nailed it.

Any top 5 list would HAVE to include Lilly, Staubach and the Manster. And after that how could you not have Emmitt on the list? I imagine some might argue for Troy or Michael over Larry Allen, but its not a given either should bump him. LA is as good as any for that last top 5 spot IMO.

theSHOW

Reaction score
Hos, I think you nailed it.

Any top 5 list would HAVE to include Lilly, Staubach and the Manster. And after that how could you not have Emmitt on the list? I imagine some might argue for Troy or Michael over Larry Allen, but its not a given either should bump him. LA is as good as any for that last top 5 spot IMO.

Lonestar94

Reaction score
1. Bob Lilly
2. Emmitt Smith
3. Roger Staubach
4. Randy White
5. Tony Dorsett

This list is the true top 5 Dallas Cowboys of all time. Don't try to argue with it.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
In Order: Top 10

Tom Landry
Bob Lilly
Roger Staubach
Randy White
Emmitt Smith

Troy Aikman
Michael Irvin
Tony Dorsett
Jason Witten
Charles Haley

cej757

Reaction score
My list is based off my favorites and the guys I've watched since I was a kid.

1 Tony Dorsett- Nothing better than watching that #33 running the football when I was a kid
2 Dez Bryant - Dez may go down as my all time favorite when his career is over. Just love the passion he has.
3 Terrell Owens -Wish we could've had him earlier in his career but the guy put up great numbers in his time here.
4 Michael Irvin - The Heart and Soul of the 90's dynasty era.
5 Demarcus Ware- The Beast, Best pass rusher since Lawrence Taylor. Had the fastest first step I've ever seen off the ball.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
5 greatest, by decade:
60's Lilly
70's Staubach
80's R White
90's Smith
00's Witten

That's a bold selection of Witten for 00 but understand your choice. I guess the only other players in contention would be Romo and Ware though. I like it!

Deep_South

Reaction score
1. Captain America
2. Emmitt
3. Mr. Cowboy
4. The Manster
5. The Playmaker