#53 Pick Anthony Fasano ND

PJCOWBOYS

Reaction score
Sounds like Jerry just said we will probably look at our secondary needs with our 3rd round pick.

Safety here we come...

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Don't you worry we'll draft our long snapper of the future in round 3. Keep your chin up.

SS

sago1

Reaction score
So we have depth at the TE position, but basically none if either TO or Glenn go down. We don't really have a decent starter at FS--Marco Coleman signing notwithstanding. Our OL is a patchwork with Adams coming back off knee surgery (turning 31), Kosier (who knows) with Peterman behind him (unknown), Gurode/Johnson fighting it out again at c but will either improve, Riveria coming back after back injury (only Gurode behind him but what if Gurode beats out Johnson for starting C job) & Fabini (Adams backup) with Pettiti and Colombo (both have lot improving to do). And we draft a backup for depth TE.

I see other teams making trades and picking up some pretty good players. Giants have added 2 pretty good players, Skins even managed get an extra 2nd round pick by trading next year's 2nd round pick & still have another 2nd round pick. And we still don't have a 4th round pick. But we have 2 6ths & 2 7ths. I guess those last 4 picks at end of draft will be those OL, FS & WR players we need.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
skinsscalper said:
Don't you worry we'll draft our long snapper of the future in round 3. Keep your chin up.

SS

Thats got nothing on our future strength and conditioning coach we'll be picking up in the 6th.;)

boyzfan83

Reaction score
I think I see where they going. If we go 2 TE 2 WR offense with no fullback, we are always a threat to pass or run. Plus we can help out our tackles while still disguising our protection. This does require that both our TE's be a recieving threat. Last year when Campbell was in it was more likely a run.

Champsheart

Reaction score
I really did not like this pick when it came up, although I do believe Fasano is a good player. I was just scratching my head, WHY?

I think I know what Dallas is doing.

Drafting Fasano is a way to get another Offensive Weapon on the Field at the same time as Witten, Julius, T.O., and Glenn, now add Fasano.

In the 2 TE set we can do a much better job of protecting Bledsoe, but at the same time give him another weapon the defense is going to have to account for. Combine this with the attention T.O. is going to get it is just another WEAPON on the field.

We will see how this works out because I think you will see our base offense include Fasano.

T.O.
Glenn
Witten
Fasano
Julius

And with 2 TE's we can do what ever we want with pass protection and the defense will never know where the hot man will be.

The more I think about it the more I am liking it.

MiStar

Reaction score
Good pick. I really wanted Daryn College, but we fell two picks short. It happens.

I can't really think of a better pick, even though it seems like there should have been something better. Maybe Watson or Ko Simpson, but there's a lot of bust potential there. I'll take a guy who will, without a doubt, make an impact.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Stop being such an optimist. We don't have room for them here. The boat is full already.

littlewebs

Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.
Reaction score
I think Polite is gone now. Hannam can fill his role. Initial anger has worn off from the pick. This will help us... just don't like that he was a higher pick than Witten.

mitchell2254

Reaction score
You know this draft may not turn out too bad. There are a lot of big names dropping. We could still get Simpson or Watkins in the third.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:
Stop being such an optimist. We don't have room for them here. The boat is full already.

Brain better lock this thread before this optimism gets out of hand. :laugh2:

jesusphreak

Reaction score
Definitely, we are going to have an offense that is very difficult to contain.

Two pass-catching tight ends along with two receivers that will stretch the field, along with the ability to run on any play. Its a great formation and it makes it hard for defenses to know what you will do.

This should be great.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Champsheart said:
I really did not like this pick when it came up, although I do believe Fasano is a good player. I was just scratching my head, WHY?

Drafting Fasano is a way to get another Offensive Weapon on the Field at the same time as Witten, Julius, T.O., and Glenn, now add Fasano.

In the 2 TE set we can do a much better job of protecting Bledsoe, but at the same time give him another weapon the defense is going to have to account for. Combine this with the attention T.O. is going to get it is just another WEAPON on the field.

We will see how this works out because I think you will see our base offense include Fasano.

T.O.
Glenn
Witten
Fasano
Julius

And with 2 TE's we can do what ever we want with pass protection and the defense will never know where the hot man will be.

I think your making some good points and it's evident that Dallas will go 2 TE, 2 WR and a single tailback. I do like the player but I still question the pick for the 2nd rd. but willing to sit back and see how this all plays out next season.

johnnycomelately

Reaction score
Champsheart said:

T.O.
Glenn
Witten
Fasano
Julius

That's exactly right. Keeps defenses guessing, which is important when you have a QB who doesn't run and improvise well.

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
Austin28 said:
Also, look at last year's film. We run a lot of 2TE sets. That's where Julius has most of his success. We've pretty much eliminated the FB position since Anderson left and now we've reverted to this 2TE set formation, which I like personally.

If you don't like the pick, keep repeating to yourself ... 2TE sets ... 2TE sets ... 2TE sets ...

Then ask what depth we had there.

This is key to the passing game and running game .. particularly because we run out of this formation a tremendous amount of the time.

Do we use a FB a lot? No.

What is everyone freaking out about? This is an upgrade to our offense ... a compliment to Jones or Barber .. and TO, Glenn and Witten. If teams have to beware of the pass, it protects Bledsoe as well. Apparently the guy is a good blocker, this also helps Bledsoe. It will aid in keeping the defense at bay with a formidable pass threat opposite of Witten as well as being a good blocker.

This is GOOD for the offense as a whole.

Chill out - it aint over yet .. I even like this pick so far.

We didn't need a reciever or RB ... and we still got another offensive weapon. Great pick!!!

Great post. I didn't know that there were so many clueless Dallas fans on this board. Fasano will play alot. 2 TE's all day. No FB. He'll get a majority of the offense snaps along with Witten, TO, Glenn and JJ/MBIII. Great pick. We'll have 2 of the best TE's in football and they'll both start. Get a clue people.

jesusphreak

Reaction score
In his press conference, it seems like Jones is making it clear that Fasano will start - so this is a pick that helps us right NOW.

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
MiStar said:
Good pick. I really wanted Daryn College, but we fell two picks short. It happens.

I can't really think of a better pick, even though it seems like there should have been something better. Maybe Watson or Ko Simpson, but there's a lot of bust potential there. I'll take a guy who will, without a doubt, make an impact.

Ko Simpson is as dumb as a rock and Gabe Watson is a fat, lazy underacheiving player. Stay away from both.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
2 Starters as Tight Ends ....

They will be Monsters to stop along with T.O.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I think your making some good points and it's evident that Dallas will go 2 TE, 2 WR and a single tailback. I do like the player but I still question the pick for the 2nd rd. but willing to sit back and see how this all plays out next season.

I have some reservations, too, but let's see how the rest of the draft plays out before we start accusing the brain trust of neglecting other needs.

Austin28

Reaction score
PJCOWBOYS said:
Who did we have behind Jay Novacek in the day? I don't remember people crying out loud for a guy to replace him, 'cause "He might get injured". It's not that we don't need another TE. We have other positions with much more immediate needs, and the farther down the draft we go, we won't get the best player available at those slots that can come in and hopefully contribute right away. Depth at DT. Anyone here remember Willie Blade, a former 3rd rounder? DT wasn't deep to begin with, and now we are really gonna reach. Not to mention we have no starting FS. We have Rob Pettiti starting at RT, and a guy who is injury prone from the Jets who might be decent as a starter just in case. We have no quality depth behind our guards. Rivera is no guarantee to be healthy all 16 games even at his age. I guess the team feels they can get great quality at those positions with our only 3rd round pick, and then fill the other needs with our 5, 6, and 7 rounders.

We are screwed.

LMAO at this guy!

The downfall of late 90's was due to the rhetorical questions like, "who played behind Novacek".. well, the product of questions like this got us David LaFluer. This list goes on and on. I don't want to make too much of an arse out of this guy though ..

But I do think we are ok at DT. Worst case scenario: we move Spears to the middle and let Ellis and Canty play the outside.<-- not a bad idea if you ask me.

I don't think we're screwed at all. In fact, I think our team has made great strides in making improvements for the next 2 or 3 years ....

I'm stoked about this pick.