#53 Pick Anthony Fasano ND

btcutter

Reaction score
DiscipleofTuna said:
I wonder if Patriot fans said the same things after drafting Watson when they had Fauria and Graham in one the yr before:rolleyes:

Julius is meant to run behind a two TE set. A great pick!! I wish we could sticky these responses.

Patriots was a team that was retooling for anther SB where as we are a team with alot of holes to fill just to get into the playoffs. Not sure you can make that comparison. Further more, there are other better players that we badly needed.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
DiscipleofTuna said:
I wonder if Patriot fans said the same things after drafting Watson when they had Fauria and Graham in one the yr before:rolleyes:

Julius is meant to run behind a two TE set. A great pick!! I wish we could sticky these responses.

The Patriots had a Super Bowl victory newly under their belts when they made that selection so it's not really the same animal at all. That being said I'm willing to let this thing play out before I biatch to much.:)

Eskimo

Reaction score
DallasKen said:
Let me make sure I'm reading you right. You're saying Carpenter has no impact potential? lmao....Remind me to never take any of your posts seriously ever again.

Not compared to guys like Cromartie, Justice or Lawson who were all less safe picks but with higher ceilings.

Carpenter was a safe pick.

gbrittain

Reaction score
We are having a very solid meat and potatoes kind of draft. It is not the "play maker" kind of draft, but very solid.

DallasKen

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
Carpenter may start but he doesn't really have much impact potential - he will be at best a solid above average OLB. He was a safe pick like Spears last year but not one who will ever change the scope of a game.

I'm not arguing it was a terrible pick - it was just a safe pick.

Earlier you said he had no impact potential...now you say he doesn't really have much. Make up your mind. Or maybe figure out another place to start talking out of.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
DiscipleofTuna said:
Love It. Two guys that can work the seams. Two TE set will be base set.

INDY did a ton of that with Pollard and Dallas Clark and a 1-back offense to great success. With the OL still shaky and Bledsoe still a statue, another TE on the field could make for another useful blocker, plus he could free up Witten from staying back and blocking so Witten could get more involved than he was last year in the passing game. I just think we had more pressing needs.

Austin28

Reaction score
Dyluke said:
I hated this pick until i was reminded by this post we dont have a player behind Jason...but still...:bang2: :banghead:

Also, look at last year's film. We run a lot of 2TE sets. That's where Julius has most of his success. We've pretty much eliminated the FB position since Anderson left and now we've reverted to this 2TE set formation, which I like personally.

If you don't like the pick, keep repeating to yourself ... 2TE sets ... 2TE sets ... 2TE sets ...

Then ask what depth we had there.

This is key to the passing game and running game .. particularly because we run out of this formation a tremendous amount of the time.

Do we use a FB a lot? No.

What is everyone freaking out about? This is an upgrade to our offense ... a compliment to Jones or Barber .. and TO, Glenn and Witten. If teams have to beware of the pass, it protects Bledsoe as well. Apparently the guy is a good blocker, this also helps Bledsoe. It will aid in keeping the defense at bay with a formidable pass threat opposite of Witten as well as being a good blocker.

This is GOOD for the offense as a whole.

Chill out - it aint over yet .. I even like this pick so far.

We didn't need a reciever or RB ... and we still got another offensive weapon. Great pick!!!

Jubei

Reaction score
Its funny when dallascowboys.com dont even give this guy a proper write up. They talk more about Carpenter than Fasano, that worrys me but still, as said above, Parcells wants Jones to run behind a twin TE set and pound the ball, so it makes sense ... but this guys isnt a great run blocker at the moment so its a gamble at number 2 and as Parcells has had excellent drafts for us im happy to have faith and not second guess.

TroyEmmittAndMichael

Reaction score
Sigh...:bang2:

We need OT, DT, S, and WR. We should be filling these positions in the early rounds!

Backup TE can wait until the second day of the draft. This is a deep TE class. This pick has Parcells and his manlove for Bavaro written all over it. Blindsided, dumbfounded, f--ked up.

Winston, Simpson, Watkins, Youboty, a bunch of WRs still there and we go with a backup TE. WT-holy-F!

Our 2nd round picks in the last 3 drafts have been crap.

2004 - Jacobs (released)
2005 - Burnett (injury-prone)
2006 - Fasano (overpaid for him at this pick!)

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING.

jesusphreak

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
Carpenter may start but he doesn't really have much impact potential - he will be at best a solid above average OLB. He was a safe pick like Spears last year but not one who will ever change the scope of a game.

I'm not arguing it was a terrible pick - it was just a safe pick.

You don't need those "game changers" as much as you need solid players who will work every single down.

Who on the Steeler's defense besides Palamau was a "game changer"? They mainly just had workmanlike guys. Same goes for the Pat teams of the past 5 years.

We already have impact players like Ware, Owens, etc. Not everyone has to or should be one.

fjones

Reaction score
Wow... I must be the only one here that actually likes the pick...

gbrittain

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
Not compared to guys like Cromartie, Justice or Lawson who were all less safe picks but with higher ceilings.

Carpenter was a safe pick.

I like Justice and I know many did not, but he is good.

Cromartie and Lawson are both very dangerous picks. Could turn out to be great, but they have as big a bust potential on them as they have upside.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Well at least we've got Bill's TE jism taken care of.

He's always said he takes a TE every draft. Last year he missed, so he was sure to pick one this time.

Sean Ryan (6th, 2004?) is still around ...

Now we can pick some value!

I thought Fasano was a stout player reading profiles. But a plate in the back doesn't bode well .. nor a need pick for us.

Bill's conversation with Anthony was just on the Ticket. Bill asked him to bring down some (unintelligible kind of Italian food ???) Said "we didn't draft you to watch, so be ready! ..." I hope he can be a gunner on STs :D

This guy sounds like Vinnie on "American Chopper." I hope he's as good a hand as Vinnie!

Let's make up some ground in Round 3 !!!

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
at least we drafted someone we needed, who was the best player available and has no history of injury

VoR

Reaction score
Great pick if he's healthy because Witten will be a FA next year.

All the signs were there for BP to pick him:

1.) he's italian
2.) played at N.D.
3.) played for Charlie Weiss
4.) reminds him of Mark Bavaro

VoR

Reaction score
koolaid said:
at least we drafted someone we needed, who was the best player available and has no history of injury
Oh he has a plate and screws in his back.

Duane

Reaction score
Austin28 said:
Also, look at last year's film. We run a lot of 2TE sets. That's where Julius has most of his success. We've pretty much eliminated the FB position since Anderson left and now we've reverted to this 2TE set formation, which I like personally.

If you don't like the pick, keep repeating to yourself ... 2TE sets ... 2TE sets ... 2TE sets ...

Then ask what depth we had there.

This is key to the passing game and running game .. particularly because we run out of this formation a tremendous amount of the time.

Do we use a FB a lot? No.

What is everyone freaking out about? This is an upgrade to our offense ... a compliment to Jones or Barber .. and TO, Glenn and Witten. If teams have to beware of the pass, it protects Bledsoe as well. Apparently the guy is a good blocker, this also helps Bledsoe. It will aid in keeping the defense at bay with a formidable pass threat opposite of Witten as well as being a good blocker.

This is GOOD for the offense as a whole.

Chill out - it aint over yet .. I even like this pick so far.

We didn't need a reciever or RB ... and we still got another offensive weapon. Great pick!!!
:hammer:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
fjones said:
Wow... I must be the only one here that actually likes the pick...

I like the player I don't agree with the pick. I felt OL was the area that Dallas would be looking at. Unlike some I'm not going to throw a fit I know Fasano is a good player just not sure how we will use him along with Witten.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Butch Davis and Dan Reeves like the pick.

"Has BPs hands all over it"

"Always had big LBs and two good TEs" mentioned Howard Cross and Mark Bavaro