6 Qbs poised to be elite in 2017

ghst187

Reaction score
Winston is a sure bet. He's gonna be great.

But Tanehill :huh: His ceiling is somewhere around Dalton, imo.

Winston still has the same problems he had in college, he turns the ball over way too much and he has flashes of being an idiot. He will be really good for stretches and then....bonehead.
I liked Mariota coming out a lot but I'm losing hope for him. He flashes but that's it. At this point I think Tannehill is what he's going to be.
This is about the tenth year in a row people are talking about Stafford making the leap but he is what he is....a tease.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Going to be Interesting to see how wentz does now that he's has some help unlike last season.

Very true. Needless to say, it will also add to the expectations and the pressure to perform significantly better in 2017 and beyond.

There's no question but what that scenario is sure to create an interesting situation to take note of in the months that lie ahead. :D

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Tannehill doesnt belong in the same sentence as Stafford

In regards to this list he does. He's the only one on this list who played with one of the best receivers of all time and still threw it to his ankles. Stafford is a underachiever just like Tannenhill. He just looks better doing it.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just have a feeling he'll do something stupid at some point.
He is too emotional and immature right now, but alI I think that will work itself out as he grows.

Mariotta could take a big step this year if Davis comes through as a rookie. Although its never wise to expect top 70-1000 from any rookie even a top 5 pick

diefree666

Reaction score
Winston still has the same problems he had in college, he turns the ball over way too much and he has flashes of being an idiot. He will be really good for stretches and then....bonehead.
I liked Mariota coming out a lot but I'm losing hope for him. He flashes but that's it. At this point I think Tannehill is what he's going to be.
This is about the tenth year in a row people are talking about Stafford making the leap but he is what he is....a tease.

The key to Mariota is staying healthy. Otherwise he is progressing very well. BUT it is hard to be consistent when you are on the bench with an injury.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I just think Winston is too emotional. Tanehill will never be more than he is now. Mariota has to stay healthy. Stafford-meh. Carr is elite already. Dak has to show he is not a one year wonder.
Agree 100% with your Winston analysis.....gonna be his downfall, IMO.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Explain "idiot" please. And he's 23, he's young, threw for 4,000 yds his rookie year, and I already explained he's still somewhat inconsistent. Did you read my post I that I followed up with replying to X?

Last edited:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
CZ is in denial with Winston. Seriously. This is the only NFL fansite I see it on.

Watch him play. Get SundayTicket. And stop with the "immature" or "stupid" nonsense. If you say that, I know you don't watch him -- all he does is lead. He's poised. And everything else I stated in that other post somewhere above.

His intangibles are off the chart. He's stopped his shenanigans the day he left Florida St.

DFWJC

Reaction score
In regards to this list he does. He's the only one on this list who played with one of the best receivers of all time and still threw it to his ankles. Stafford is a underachiever just like Tannenhill. He just looks better doing it.
Always throws for 4200-5000 yards.
Plays behind mediocre to crappy lines and limited running games.
Yet int % not very high at all for so many yards

Trivia: among top 10 QBs in passing yards last year, Stafford (without Calvin) was behind only Rodgers and Ryan in TD:int ratio. Thats very hard to do.

Stafford is way better than you think.
We will agree to disagree

Last edited:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Again if Dak has to show he isn't a 1 year wonder as a rookie, then same applies to Zeke.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Again if Dak has to show he isn't a 1 year wonder as a rookie, then same applies to Zeke.
Not true. Any back can run behind this line. Now the question becomes can any QB throw from behind this line.

ghst187

Reaction score
Explain "idiot" please. And he's 23, he's young, threw for 4,000 yds his rookie year, and I already explained he's still somewhat inconsistent. Did you read my post I that I followed up with replying to X?

He showed his colors in college repeatedly.
Maybe it's his emotions and dealing with frustrations but there were games in college when he'd turn into a TO machine. He obviously has talent but I think his coaches need to save him from him sometimes. I mean our pathetic TO-less defense INT'd him three times and he fumbled twice. Do I need to say more than that? He had 18 INTs last season which isn't terrible for a young QB throwing it a lot but the additional 10 fumbles with six lost ends up becoming 24 TOs on the season and that ultimately correlates to w/l's. Maybe he makes the leap maybe not but it's ultimately going to come down to what's between his ears and not his arm. And in that I have some doubts.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
He showed his colors in college repeatedly.
Maybe it's his emotions and dealing with frustrations but there were games in college when he'd turn into a TO machine. He obviously has talent but I think his coaches need to save him from him sometimes. I mean our pathetic TO-less defense INT'd him three times and he fumbled twice. Do I need to say more than that? He had 18 INTs last season which isn't terrible for a young QB throwing it a lot but the additional 10 fumbles with six lost ends up becoming 24 TOs on the season and that ultimately correlates to w/l's. Maybe he makes the leap maybe not but it's ultimately going to come down to what's between his ears and not his arm. And in that I have some doubts.
We'll just have to wait and see, then, ghst.

I'm clearly in the minority in advocating him as a future elite QB here at the Zone, but I think I'm right, and think there's a whole hell of a lot more of a chance of that happening than with players like Ryan friggin' Tannehill (lmao @ that one) and even Mariota.

Stafford, while good, will never be elite, as underrated as he is. And is too old, now, to be on a young QB list. Goff has shown nada, he'd have to make a hell of leap year two.

Off that list, I'd go (in no particular order):

Carr (already Top 5 and elite -- he really shouldn't even be on this list since he's already there)
Prescott
Winston
Wentz

as all with a possibility of being truly elite QBs. Mariota has an outside chance, but I see him being above average more than elite.

Last edited: