Drafted by Cowboys 6th round - Pick 212- RB Duece Vaughn (Kansas State)

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yes, those gaping holes are more difficult to find in the NFL. The Longhorns couldn't find them against Alabama. His role won't be to get the ball up the gut multiple times a game hoping for a large hole. In the 6th round, an all-around running back isn't likely to be found. Running backs in the later rounds will have niche roles. They could have drafted someone who was only a short yardage type, which also can provide value.
..and this one has some glow in the dark elements to it.

Jipper

Reaction score
just listened to the audio of his dad calling him - for those of you that are fathers, if that doesn't bring a tear to your eye i dont know what will....one of my favorite moments ive seen with this team in a long time, hope he works out!

Toro9

Reaction score
I hope Jourdan Lewis is cool enough to let Deuce have #2

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don’t know how you are going to have two guys on the team as small as they are. It affects the roster too much.
If you are a team in a regular scheme on defense and the linebacker sees Turpin, Vaughn, and Pollard in the backfield/slot with both CD Lamb and Cooks...who covers who and how do you defense both the run and pass simultaneously.

Verdict

Reaction score
Look, I can’t tell you whether the kid will make it or not in the NFL. He reminds me a little bit of a miniature version of Barry Sanders, with a little less long speed. But he is an ankle breaker, like Sanders was.

Reactions: Ken

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
2 completley diferent players, huge diference of use in NCAA play... Deuce is comming here to be a 15 carry a game RB.
I think people are comparing him to Turpin because they will probably compete to be our return man.

Turpins got the long speed but his vision is absolutely atrocious.

Also, Vaughn will likely carve at a roll on offense where as Turpin is a project.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think people are comparing him to Turpin because they will probably compete to be our return man.

Turpins got the long speed but his vision is absolutely atrocious.

Also, Vaughn will likely carve at a roll on offense where as Turpin is a project.
Vaughn is great at returns, but i will be shocked if he is not 1 of the 2 RB's we like to use... now if Turpin is failing at returns then for sure you have an option in Vaughn. Lets see what Turpin can do when he gets an offseason where he is not playing a full season in another league...but yeah Vaughn can fill that role in a pinch for sure.

Verdict

Reaction score
Deuce is not really that similar to Turpin. Turpin is slightly built. Deuce is closer to Steve Smith (WR) than he is to Turpin.

Verdict

Reaction score
Vaughn is great at returns, but i will be shocked if he is not 1 of the 2 RB's we like to use... now if Turpin is failing at returns then for sure you have an option in Vaughn. Let’s see what Turpin can do when he gets an offseason where he is not playing a full season in another league...but yeah Vaughn can fill that role in a pinch for sure.
I think the Cowboys will give him touches on game day. I think there is a very good chance that Deuce has a better career than the Mighty Mouse that went in the first round from WV.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
But he made that big play, so why would it be ok to take it out? Lol
Because he wont sniff those wide open 70+ yard runs in the nfl.

That bama game he averaged 2.3 yards a carry after taking out the big run. So he did basically nothing.

Im sure I could go through most of his games and see a similar pattern. Hilight reels are fun. But the devil is in the details.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Because he wont sniff those wide open 70+ yard runs in the nfl.

That bama game he averaged 2.3 yards a carry after taking out the big run. So he did basically nothing.

Im sure I could go through most of his games and see a similar pattern. Hilight reels are fun. But the devil is in the details.
The details are the guy who is "Too Small" carried the rock 20+ times in most games for a RUN FIRST KSU team in a power 5 conference...its really not that hard to understand. It wasnt a bunch of draws and he certainly didnt benefit from a high powered passing game..literally they lined up and ran he and the QB right at you.

If the devils in the details you should find what the actual details are.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Well take out Bjon longest run also ...right? this is a silly notion it happened why feel the need to try and "Exempt" a play that happened?
Bjon has a career ypc of 6.3

If this thread devolves to comparing Vaughn to Robinson, then all rationality is lost.

Actually, its lost already.

Give me one name of a player his size and speed that was successful in the NFL.

Sproles and Austin are the only two that come to mind. And Austin is even debatable.

Austin was blazing fast and quick. Near world class type of speed. Yet no one could really figure out how to use him.

Sproles was 5'6 190
4.47 40
23 reps
Very productive player. Made a name as returner and bit player on offense.

Vaughn isnt as big or fast as Sproles.

Turpin was a pro bowl returner. Very fast.

Vaughns only shot is to replace Turpin. I dont see it happening. It would be great if he could though.

Dallas actually did a disservice to him. If he went undrafted he could have went to a team that legitimately needed a returner.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
The details are the guy who is "Too Small" carried the rock 20+ times in most games for a RUN FIRST KSU team in a power 5 conference...its really not that hard to understand. It wasnt a bunch of draws and he certainly didnt benefit from a high powered passing game..literally they lined up and ran he and the QB right at you.

If the devils in the details you should find what the actual details are.
I leave the detail work for the scouts who actually get paid to do it.

And Id wager Vaughn would have gone undrafted if not for a cool story to have through training camp.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Bjon has a career ypc of 6.3

If this thread devolves to comparing Vaughn to Robinson, then all rationality is lost.

Actually, its lost already.

Give me one name of a player his size and speed that was successful in the NFL.

Sproles and Austin are the only two that come to mind. And Austin is even debatable.

Austin was blazing fast and quick. Near world class type of speed. Yet no one could really figure out how to use him.

Sproles was 5'6 190
4.47 40
23 reps
Very productive player. Made a name as returner and bit player on offense.

Vaughn isnt as big or fast as Sproles.

Turpin was a pro bowl returner. Very fast.

Vaughns only shot is to replace Turpin. I dont see it happening. It would be great if he could though.

Dallas actually did a disservice to him. If he went undrafted he could have went to a team that legitimately needed a returner.
Maybe they view him as more than a returner? thats what several here are trying to tell you. Look I'm not here to change your mind because that is a waste of my time, BUT if your going to dismiss facts then most here will let you know thats not the case. The 2 best defenses he and B Robinson played Deuce had much better games than he did ..thats just a fact.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And Id wager Vaughn would have gone undrafted if not for a cool story to have through training camp.
Wow are you in for a surprise.