A&M Leaving Big 12

DFWJC

Reaction score
Rogah;4067908 said:
People have been saying that about Notre Dame for about 25 years now. It just ain't happening (in football). There's just no incentive for them to do so. They would be flushing money down the toilet and gaining virtually nothing in return.
It's changed radically in the last few years. Now mid-level Big Ten schools take in FAR more than Notre Dame does. That is the case regardless of the old NBC contract.
I just in TV revenues, even teams like Northwestern now bring in more than ND. This does not include the BCS revenue-sharing.

Rogah

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4068357 said:
They do better as long as they have that NBC Contract. If that ever goes away, I do not know the specifics of the contract or if there is an out clause, then Notre Dame is not in a very good position at all.
Yes but as you said, the contract runs until 2015 and I really don't think there's any out clause. And as I said, the contract was extended 2 years ago so even with crappy teams and mediocre rating, NBC seems happy with the set up.
ABQCOWBOY;4068357 said:
Part of what drives that TV deal is the ability of Notre Dame to be included in any BCS Bowl structure, so long as Notre Dame meets certain criteria. With discussion one what happens to the BCS and the College Bowls, there could come a time where ND no longer has a bowl agreement because we don't know what happesn to the BCS.
I don't see any chance whatsoever any sort of BCS situation (or any championship structure) does not include Notre Dame as a participant. Notre Dame is a great draw, so the BCS is more than happy to include them.
ABQCOWBOY;4068357 said:
If that occurs, I suspect that it will impact the TV deal. Getting into a situation where ND can join a big time Conference and still enjoy the benefits of an exclusive TV deal could be very appealing to them. This is what they could potentially get with the Big 12.
I think it is far more likely that the Big XIII dissolves completely rather than ND joining it.

Rogah

Reaction score
DFWJC;4068436 said:
It's changed radically in the last few years. Now mid-level Big Ten schools take in FAR more than Notre Dame does. That is the case regardless of the old NBC contract.
I just in TV revenues, even teams like Northwestern now bring in more than ND. This does not include the BCS revenue-sharing.
Really? What's your source for this? I think you're looking at Northwestern's entire TV revenue for all sports and comparing it to Notre Dame's for football only, which isn't a terribly fair comparison.

BTW, people in here have said NBC is paying Notre Dame $9 million, but that was the old deal. The recent extension has NBC paying Notre Dame an estimated $15 million per year starting this year. The brand new, super-huge, blockbuster SEC contract (combining the ESPN and CBS revenues) comes out to about $17 million per school per year. So I'd like to see some - any - evidence that Big Ten teams take in, as you say, "FAR more" than Notre Dame does when it comes to football TV revenues.

tko112204

Reaction score
ESPN bottom line just said A&M notified the Big 12 that they would be leaving the conference.

NY Times report apparently.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rogah;4071267 said:
Yes but as you said, the contract runs until 2015 and I really don't think there's any out clause. And as I said, the contract was extended 2 years ago so even with crappy teams and mediocre rating, NBC seems happy with the set up.

I know for a fact that there is a BCS clause.

I don't see any chance whatsoever any sort of BCS situation (or any championship structure) does not include Notre Dame as a participant. Notre Dame is a great draw, so the BCS is more than happy to include them.
I think it is far more likely that the Big XIII dissolves completely rather than ND joining it.

Your missing the point. It's not if Notre Dame is in a BCS scenario. It's if there will be a BCS at all. That is not a given.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6907754/texas-notifies-big-12-leave-conference

Report: Texas A&M leaving Big 12

Updated: August 30, 2011, 12:46 AM ET

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Texas A&M has notified the Big 12 it will withdraw from the conference, according to a newspaper report.

The New York Times said in a story posted on its website Monday night that Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin sent a letter to Missouri Chancellor and Big 12 board chairman Brady Deaton to inform the league it was leaving. The report cited two unidentified college officials with direct knowledge of the decision.

University spokesman Jason Cook did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment late Monday night.

To read more, click on the link above.

hookemhorns72

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4075516 said:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6907754/texas-notifies-big-12-leave-conference

Report: Texas A&M leaving Big 12

Updated: August 30, 2011, 12:46 AM ET

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Texas A&M has notified the Big 12 it will withdraw from the conference, according to a newspaper report.

The New York Times said in a story posted on its website Monday night that Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin sent a letter to Missouri Chancellor and Big 12 board chairman Brady Deaton to inform the league it was leaving. The report cited two unidentified college officials with direct knowledge of the decision.

University spokesman Jason Cook did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment late Monday night.

To read more, click on the link above.

OH MY GOSH! Talk about drama! Just leave! And quit talking about it! :lmao:

Rogah

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4075515 said:
I know for a fact that there is a BCS clause.
OK, well could you please expand on that statement? Do you have a link or reference to support that statement? What exactly are the terms of the clause? What exactly triggers it?

Of course, even if there is an out clause, that does nothing to change my point that both sides seem very, very happy with the current deal.
ABQCOWBOY;4075515 said:
Your missing the point. It's not if Notre Dame is in a BCS scenario. It's if there will be a BCS at all. That is not a given.
Your point is extremely vague. Yeah, there's talk of everything from a playoff format to forming a 64 team super-league. I don't think we'll see anything that drastic but even if we did, under what scenario would any new league (or championship structure) leave Notre Dame out in the cold? Notre Dame is a HUGE draw. Whether we keep the BCS or see a brand new championship structure, any such group will want Notre Dame as a member.

jimmy40

Reaction score
So will there now be a gator with it's jaws chopped off?
saw-em-off-782578.jpg
** instead of UF?

hookemhorns72

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4075795 said:
So they're really going to leave to go to the SEC where they'll be kicked around?

:signmast: What he said. If A&M had some Big XII Championships under their belt, I'd say go ahead. Maybe Kentucky and Vandy won't kick 'em around too bad! A&M had a good year last year but they need to expand on that success before bolting to the sec.

MC KAos

Reaction score
I just saw a thing on espn saying they are denying they have already withdrawn. this is so annoying, JUST LEAVE ALREADY!!!!

jimmy40

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4075795 said:
So they're really going to leave to go to the SEC where they'll be kicked around?
they've been kicked around in the Big 12, they'll just be squeezing their nuts in front of different folks now.

jimmy40

Reaction score
MC KAos;4075831 said:
I just saw a thing on espn saying they are denying they have already withdrawn. this is so annoying, JUST LEAVE ALREADY!!!!
I'm sure it's so they can make a big production out of the announcement later.

hookemhorns72

Reaction score
MC KAos;4075831 said:

It's the runt of the litter trying to make a grand exit!

jimmy40

Reaction score
hookemhorns72;4075865 said:
I'm hearing SMU, BYU and Pitt may be replacements. Per Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com
rather have TCU than SMU, BYU is pretty interesting and they won't cry like babies over team's TV networks. Pitt? they just want the hell out of the Big Least to anyone that will take them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jimmy40;4075906 said:
rather have TCU than SMU, BYU is pretty interesting and they won't cry like babies over team's TV networks. Pitt? they just want the hell out of the Big Least to anyone that will take them.

If I was the AD for TCU I would be pushing for it. They get upset because the can win every game and not have a chance for a National Title, if they really want a chance at the brass ring here is the oppertunity. I would say the same for Boise St. Make a push to join the Big 12