A&M Leaving Big 12

MC KAos

Reaction score
Nomad;4051265 said:
This is probably also going to hurt Jerry Jones and the DFW metroplex, with Cowboys Stadium being host of the Big12 Championship game, the cotton bowl game which is tied to the Big12, and the Southwest Classic between Arkansas and A&M which is there every year.

It will probably goof up each one of those.

true, although they could still agree to hold the Arkansas/TAMU game at cowboys stadium on a yearly basis. One other thing that it might affect a lot is the Cotton Bowl's desire to be a BCS bowl, which would most certainly be tied in to the big twelve instead of the fiesta.

DFWJC;4051308 said:
Yeah, Mack pretty much admitted it later...and said he learned from it.
Supposedly, Simms looked WAY better in practice every day with a stronger arm and more accuracy. But, as we all knew, Applewhite was a gamer and a true leader.
Brown used what he learned from that to seperate Colt McCoy from a very talented Jevon Sneed . McCoy was the superior leader with the crazy work ethic who continued to grow...still is, actually.

all very true, i hope he doesnt make the mistake again this year with gilbert, he is TERRIBLE in games. i thought when he struggled vs Alabama that it was just because it was his first game, little did we know it was who he is.

from what ive read, David Ash has been the most impressive QB and will probably start as a true freshman!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MC KAos;4051459 said:
true, although they could still agree to hold the Arkansas/TAMU game at cowboys stadium on a yearly basis. One other thing that it might affect a lot is the Cotton Bowl's desire to be a BCS bowl, which would most certainly be tied in to the big twelve instead of the fiesta.

all very true, i hope he doesnt make the mistake again this year with gilbert, he is TERRIBLE in games. i thought when he struggled vs Alabama that it was just because it was his first game, little did we know it was who he is.

from what ive read, David Ash has been the most impressive QB and will probably start as a true freshman!

Which ever QB shows the most even Gilbert that is the guy I want. I agree Gilbert looked bad last season and I would not hand him the job but I do think players grow and improve especially at this level so I would not rule Gilbert out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4049663 said:
Wow, dirt poor? Maybe in real life but not in college football. Everyone knows the SEC is the best league in the country.

Better to have a smaller house in the best, most exclusive neighborhood than the biggest house in an average one.

I hate to think about what will happen to Tech and Baylor and even Oklahoma, but this will be good for A&M for all the reasons others have posted.

No it is not better to have the nicest house on a cracked out block then a below average house on a street lined with mini-mansions.

I have been in both situations and it isn't even close. Better safety, education, stores and access to almost everything else money can buy. Anyone who says they'd rather live in the nicest house in South Dallas over the worst in Highland Park is not being logical.

Part of the reason the SEC isn't making the gazillions you'd think they can as the premiere conference is because they are in the poorest part of the country. If they had NYC or LA ties they'd make tons more.

They have, outside Florida and Georgia, a collection of very low population states with very low per capita incomes or GDP. Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky. Yikes.

But Texas? Texas ranks 2nd in GDP and has a handful of large markets and very high income in those larger markets.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
jterrell;4053415 said:
No it is not better to have the nicest house on a cracked out block then a below average house on a street lined with mini-mansions.

I have been in both situations and it isn't even close. Better safety, education, stores and access to almost everything else money can buy. Anyone who says they'd rather live in the nicest house in South Dallas over the worst in Highland Park is not being logical.
I didn't say that. I said just the opposite.

And like it or not, the SEC is the Highland Park of college football.

MC KAos

Reaction score
i think the reason the SEC is so good despite they impoverishment is precisely that. there isnt much else to do but to go to games, or anyone else to cheer for in most of these towns that have big time college football teams (with the exception of LA)

hookemhorns72

Reaction score
No one has brought up the fact that last year when the Big XII was falling apart, Texas was being courted by the Big 10, Pac 10 and the sec. The sec claimed that Texas was their first choice. A&M knew Texas was pulling their resources together for the network last year. So why didn't A&M leave last year? Money! Not the money that A&M did get but the money that ESPN gave UT! I wonder if the sec presidents would've voted 'no' if it was Texas that was leaving. But I could never see Texas going to the sec. And I would've never guessed that A&M would either.

hookemhorns72

Reaction score
MC KAos;4053634 said:
i think the reason the SEC is so good despite they impoverishment is precisely that. there isnt much else to do but to go to games, or anyone else to cheer for in most of these towns that have big time college football teams (with the exception of LA)

And the fact that admission standards in the sec may be the same as other colleges around the country, they offer lower curriculum and easier majors for their athletes that couldn't make it at other schools. This is due to the education system in the south.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hookemhorns72;4053644 said:
But I could never see Texas going to the sec.

Of course not .. if you were making all that money that Texas does, you wouldn't want to leave either especially since that would also mean facing a much tougher schedule than you are used to.

#reality

DFWJC

Reaction score
hookemhorns72;4053654 said:
And the fact that admission standards in the sec may be the same as other colleges around the country, they offer lower curriculum and easier majors for their athletes that couldn't make it at other schools. This is due to the education system in the south.
According to the census, Texas ranks very close to all of those southern states as far a percent of the population to get a high school degree by a certain age.
Also, I was under the impression that all major schools offered some easier majors for the jocks that wanted to go that route.
UT may be an exception, but generally that is is the case.

MC KAos

Reaction score
DFWJC;4053740 said:
According to the census, Texas ranks very close to all of those southern states as far a percent of the population to get a high school degree by a certain age.
Also, I was under the impression that all major schools offered some easier majors for the jocks that wanted to go that route.

my wife was at UT when Kevin Durant was there, he had his own personal tutor basically take notes for him in class, at least he took his own tests, lol

xout

Believer
Reaction score
Since Baylor seems to be on the rampage about keeping tradition together, I request TCU, SMU, and Rice be allowed to educate Baylor on the ramifications of being left in the cold when other teams in the conference move on to greener pastures...

TheLastNordique

Reaction score
DFWJC;4053740 said:

No, UT offers those degrees. (read: communications)

All D-1 schools, save the academies give athletes a large amount of academic leeway. Even outstanding schools such as Cal and Stanford recruit players with grades in the low 3's, a long, long ways away from their general admission standards. Are the academics in the SEC lower? Most certainly, in a general perspective. However all of these universities, whether it be UT, LSU or Stanford makes jocks staying eligible a high priority.

I genuinely doubt that, at least for athletes there is necessarily a significant difference in academic difficulty between universities.

DFWJC

Reaction score
TheLastNordique;4058119 said:
No, UT offers those degrees. (read: communications)

All D-1 schools, save the academies give athletes a large amount of academic leeway. Even outstanding schools such as Cal and Stanford recruit players with grades in the low 3's, a long, long ways away from their general admission standards. Are the academics in the SEC lower? Most certainly, in a general perspective. However all of these universities, whether it be UT, LSU or Stanford makes jocks staying eligible a high priority.

I genuinely doubt that, at least for athletes there is necessarily a significant difference in academic difficulty between universities.
That's pretty much what I was thinking as well.

As for your comment about SEC overall academics being lower...well that is not true. I posted the overall ratings earlier in this thread: the SEC and current Big 12 schools are VERY similar academically top to bottom. They both fall below the ACC, Big 10 and Pac 12, but they are right in line with each other.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
DFWJC;4058183 said:

As for your comment about SEC overall academics being lower...well that is not true. I posted the overall ratings earlier in this thread: the SEC and current Big 12 schools are VERY similar academically top to bottom. They both fall below the ACC, Big 10 and Pac 12, but they are right in line with each other.

Yep. I saw that post.

What does the academics have to do with it though? If the kids are ncaa compliant and pass classes they can play. It sounds like the ones who bash the sec are insecure about their schools being able to compete footballwise so they knock the one thing they have on them.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Muhast;4058209 said:
Yep. I saw that post.

What does the academics have to do with it though? If the kids are ncaa compliant and pass classes they can play. It sounds like the ones who bash the sec are insecure about their schools being able to compete footballwise so they knock the one thing they have on them.
You're right. It really has nothing to do with it.

That older post was just in response to some previous comments about SEC academics being subpar (seemingly compared to the Big 12).

You're right though....it's not relevant as far as football goes....and your comment about finding something to put the SEC down about is surely true.
No big deal and just an observation.

TheLastNordique

Reaction score
DFWJC;4058183 said:

Perhaps, I was comparing to the pac-12. Here SEC bashing is about as big as craft beer and voting liberally.

Muhast;4058209 said:
Yep. I saw that post.

To be fair it doesn't make a difference in the least, but it is frustrating to watch players with questionable academics flock to certain schools simply so they can get in.

Of course I'm really not one to talk ****, I go to a crappy state U.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
MC KAos;4054042 said:
my wife was at UT when Kevin Durant was there, he had his own personal tutor basically take notes for him in class, at least he took his own tests, lol

That happens everywhere, i'll bet. When I was in college we were meeting prospective roommates for the next year and one guy was a 2nd-string kicker at Ga Tech that was transferring to UGA. We made a comment about Stephon Marbury and he swears that Marbury never went to class.

DFWJC

Reaction score
UNC-Chapel Hill has been one of the top 3-6 ranked state universities for about 30 years in a row now, and look at the academic scandals they just had.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@schadjoe Joe Schad
RT @billyliucci: Breaking: Texas A&M sends official notice to Dan Beebe and Big 12 they will explore conference options.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4067043 said:
@schadjoe Joe Schad
RT @billyliucci: Breaking: Texas A&M sends official notice to Dan Beebe and Big 12 they will explore conference options.

Still? Get on with it