A&M Leaving Big 12

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;4067049 said:
Still? Get on with it

My guess would be (like some others have said) they were waiting on some legal or procedural issues to be cleared up before making the move to make it official.

But yea I am with you...hurry it up.

Not that I am that interested in them, Texas or the Big Twelve.

I just figure that this move will cause other moves (this year or next) for other teams and conferences.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4067063 said:
My guess would be (like some others have said) they were waiting on some legal or procedural issues to be cleared up before making the move to make it official.

But yea I am with you...hurry it up.

Not that I am that interested in them, Texas or the Big Twelve.

I just figure that this move will cause other moves (this year or next) for other teams and conferences.

I agree as a Texas fan and a fan of the Big 12 I'm looking for them to add teams in the near future to the Big 12. TCU should be making their case for the big 12 that way they can get a fair shot at the National Championship, same for a Boise St.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;4067073 said:
I agree as a Texas fan and a fan of the Big 12 I'm looking for them to add teams in the near future to the Big 12. TCU should be making their case for the big 12 that way they can get a fair shot at the National Championship, same for a Boise St.

Texas should just do like Notre Dame and become an independent team. I kind of think they would be better off.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4067079 said:
Texas should just do like Notre Dame and become an independent team. I kind of think they would be better off.

Maybe so but I think we are getting closer to what some have called the Super Conferences where we will see some smaller conference like Conference USA and WAC dissolving and becoming member of the big conferences. I think even the day for ND is coming where they will move into a top conference.

StylisticS

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4067079 said:

I don't think so. I don't think Texas has the national base as ND. I also dont think Texas will easily find conferences for basketball, baseball, and others.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
StylisticS;4067101 said:
I don't think so. I don't think Texas has the national base as ND. I also dont think Texas will easily find conferences for basketball, baseball, and others.

The Longhorns are the Cowboys of college football. They made over $93M in football revenue last year. Second place only made $70. That's a $23M or +25% difference in revenue from second place!

Notre Dame only made $63M last year. That's a 1/3 less than UT.

StylisticS

Reaction score
nyc;4067139 said:
The Longhorns are the Cowboys of college football. They made over $93M in football revenue last year. Second place only made $70. That's a $23M or +25% difference in revenue from second place!

Notre Dame only made $63M last year. That's a 1/3 less than UT.

you dont think that it helps them being in a conference that they could get that revenue? Being independent will be an afterthought if the super conferences happen. Maybe get ND to join the big 12.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
StylisticS;4067190 said:
you dont think that it helps them being in a conference that they could get that revenue? Being independent will be an afterthought if the super conferences happen. Maybe get ND to join the big 12.

Notre Dame is too snooty to join anyone *someone elses* conference.

jimmy40

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4067043 said:
@schadjoe Joe Schad
RT @billyliucci: Breaking: Texas A&M sends official notice to Dan Beebe and Big 12 they will explore conference options.
also sent official notice they will keep crying about UT no matter what conference they belong to.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jimmy40;4067318 said:
also sent official notice they will keep crying about UT no matter what conference they belong to.

I don't have a team in the big 12 so all of that silly whinging between the various texas teams and oklahoma means nothing to me other than it being annoying from all the fans of those teams. :cool:

MC KAos

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4067049 said:
Still? Get on with it

seriously! get on with it and and do it already so we can all move on!

jimmy40;4067318 said:

:laugh2:

Rogah

Reaction score
MC KAos;4041881 said:
Yup, we would get a lot more money as an independent, plus we wouldn't have to ask for permission from the conference to show high school games. Seeing as how the PAC 12 has said they want to show high school games on their network, I think the NCAA will eventually approve it
I'm not sure they're going to get more money as an independent when they have to schedule 8 games against Division 1-AA (FCS) schools in order to fill their schedule... :laugh2:

Rogah

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4042308 said:
I don't post there and agree it can be a cesspool at times, but acting like it's any worse than orangebloods or shaggybevo is intellectually dishonest.

And anyhow, what I posted wasnt some hatred-driven drivel. Texas almost seems to want this conference to fail with the way they've been conducting business. They are scoffing at Beebe, the conference itself and the NCAA as a whole with their dealings in this LHN charade, almost daring someone to actually do something about it. We can't show high school games on our network? Watch us. We can't have multiple conference games on our network? Too bad, we're doing it anyway. We can't show UIL title games on our network? Sorry, we're gonna do what we want. The arrogance is astounding. They walk around spouting that "We're Texas" crap as if their program is inherently untouchable. I don't hate Texas, in fact I really respect the school and their success as an athletic program, but their behavior throughout this ordeal has been nothing short of childish.
Texas wants to have their cake and eat it too. They want all the advantages of being an independent combined with all the advantages of being in a major conference.

A lot of people in here aren't going to like hearing it, but what you've said on the matter is 100% true. Their arrogance will give them short term gains, but I think it will hurt them in the long term

Rogah

Reaction score
jterrell;4044686 said:
That is not true at all....

Notre Dame now is pushing towards joining a conference.
People have been saying that about Notre Dame for about 25 years now. It just ain't happening (in football). There's just no incentive for them to do so. They would be flushing money down the toilet and gaining virtually nothing in return.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4067079 said:

I agree with this. At this point, the Big 12, IMO, is not committed to any sort of long term plan. Without Texas, they may or may not be solvent but at this point, if you are Texas or OU or whomever, you have to wonder if you will have a conference in a year or two.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rogah;4067908 said:
People have been saying that about Notre Dame for about 25 years now. It just ain't happening (in football). There's just no incentive for them to do so. They would be flushing money down the toilet and gaining virtually nothing in return.

And those people were right. In all sports, except Football, Notre Dame is affiliated with a conference. The only reason Football has not followed suit is because of the NBC TV Contract. I believe that the current contract is in place till 2015 but ratings for NBC continue to drop. I believe that ND has finished in the top 10 only 3 times since 1993, when the original contract was agreed upon. Currently, ABC and CBS are seeing twice the ratings that NBC is producing with Irish Football. This says nothing about ESPN or other College Football affiliations.

Something has to give IMO. Either Notre Dame has to improve dramatically or I think you might see some sort of change.

Rogah

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4068144 said:
And those people were right. In all sports, except Football, Notre Dame is affiliated with a conference. The only reason Football has not followed suit is because of the NBC TV Contract. I believe that the current contract is in place till 2015 but ratings for NBC continue to drop. I believe that ND has finished in the top 10 only 3 times since 1993, when the original contract was agreed upon. Currently, ABC and CBS are seeing twice the ratings that NBC is producing with Irish Football. This says nothing about ESPN or other College Football affiliations.

Something has to give IMO. Either Notre Dame has to improve dramatically or I think you might see some sort of change.
But why? ND is unique in that they can field a full schedule against 1-A schools on a year-to-year basis without being tied into a conference. (What they do in other sports is completely irrelevant because football, especially at Notre Dame, is not like other sports).

You make it sound like Notre Dame and NBC are tied into a TV contract from 1993 that one (or both) of them want to get out of. But fact is they extended that contract as recently as 2 years ago. So it seems both sides are pretty happy with it, even with the low ratings and poor quality football.

Even with their mediocre performance (hey, anyone can have a bad decade or two :D), they still do better financially as an independent than as part of a conference. If they ever have their oft-predicted-but-never-occurring "return to glory" then that would only make staying an independent all the more wise.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rogah;4068334 said:
But why? ND is unique in that they can field a full schedule against 1-A schools on a year-to-year basis without being tied into a conference. (What they do in other sports is completely irrelevant because football, especially at Notre Dame, is not like other sports).

You make it sound like Notre Dame and NBC are tied into a TV contract from 1993 that one (or both) of them want to get out of. But fact is they extended that contract as recently as 2 years ago. So it seems both sides are pretty happy with it, even with the low ratings and poor quality football.

Even with their mediocre performance (hey, anyone can have a bad decade or two :D), they still do better financially as an independent than as part of a conference. If they ever have their oft-predicted-but-never-occurring "return to glory" then that would only make staying an independent all the more wise.

They do better as long as they have that NBC Contract. If that ever goes away, I do not know the specifics of the contract or if there is an out clause, then Notre Dame is not in a very good position at all. Part of what drives that TV deal is the ability of Notre Dame to be included in any BCS Bowl structure, so long as Notre Dame meets certain criteria. With discussion one what happens to the BCS and the College Bowls, there could come a time where ND no longer has a bowl agreement because we don't know what happesn to the BCS. If that occurs, I suspect that it will impact the TV deal. Getting into a situation where ND can join a big time Conference and still enjoy the benefits of an exclusive TV deal could be very appealing to them. This is what they could potentially get with the Big 12.

A lot depends on what happens, long term, with the BCS IMO.