A Bad Pattern

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rcaldw said:
I want to address something that I've noticed on our board here that bothers me. It is a personal opinion and so I welcome comments both from those who disagree with me as well as those who agree. The only thing I would ask is that you give thoughtful responses to this, not just knee jerk smart alek answers.

I see articles posted, one featuring Dale Hansen for example, others featuring other writers or media types, that criticize Bill Parcells.

*They criticize him for not talking
*They criticize him for what they view to be some questionable draft picks

Immediately I see posters who jump to Parcell's defense, say that Hansen and others are stupid, jealous, just mad at Parcells and that these people don't speak for us. WE DON'T CARE, the thought goes, WHETHER PARCELLS EVER TALKS OR NOT. Or, HE WILL TALK WHEN HE IS GOOD AND READY, HE IS THE COACH.

I've got to say that I completely disagree with that mindset. Whether I like Dale Hansen or Randy Galloway or anyone who has been critical of Parcells is beside the point.

DO THEY HAVE ANY MERIT IN WHAT THEY ARE SAYING?

I believe they do.

*I think fans DO want to hear from our head coach and further more, I think the team owes it to its fans to let us hear from the head coach.

*I think the head coach DOES have to be accountable for the decisions that he is making both in the draft and on the field. I personally don't have any problem with this year's draft, except, once again, it is heavy, heavy on defense. And, when we go offense, we still look like Bill Parcells in that we go TE, and I think it should be clear to everyone that Parcells is living in his past with almost all of his decisions, once again trying to create what he did with the Giants. If he can get it done, I have no problem with that, but I DO THINK that it is worth questioning and worth him addressing.

So, in a nutshell, I just don't understand this immediate wrath upon anyone who questions Parcells, and I don't understand fans who think that the head coach of a professional football team, a team that supposedly cares about its fans and paying customers, doesn't have any obligation to ever speak to the media.

I don't care for the media either, but they are our only conduit for information.

Your opinion?

I have heard from Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, Jeff Ireland and most of the draft pics and I have heard from those Jones and Ireland multiple times about the team already since the draft.

I have heard MULTIPLE times that Bill will have a PC this weekend.

Let's make no mistake, Bill will talk to the press, The Press has heard from multiple sources that Bill signed off with the TO situation and yet they are still running around whining and nashing their teeth with agendas.

I have no sympathy for them what so ever and I find it insulting that a few of the biggest whiners among the mediots are trying to say they are only wanting him to talk for the FANS.

When it has been shown time and time again in here that many of us just don't feel the same way.

They are really only interested in their OWN RATINGS.

That is why a once mild mannered, calm and logical thinking JFE who was one of the better writers, has turned into a over zealous, over the top shock jock...RATINGS.

And I can pretty much bet money that when they do start asking him questions you watch for a few, ones who have been complaining so much lately, will try and act like tough guys/girls and bully their way to an answer or to try and rile bill up.

Personally I would love for him to come out at the PC and say... I signed off on the TO pick and that is all I am going to say about TO at this time. This is a PC about the Rooks, ask questions about the rooks.

DocScholl

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
I think you are taking this bit too extreme here. It has been noted, once the TC starts, BP is the first coach with Cowboys, who has so many PCs, more than any other coach ever did, including Landry.

Second, HC doesn't really make Draft decisions completely anyway. No matter how much media or we like to give BP the whole credit, most of the credit should go to Jeff Ireland then Jerry/BP.

Third, its one thing to critize BP for making a bad decisions about Roster/Game day decisions etc. But choosing not to talk to Media? Especially when we all heard from Jerry etc. that BP is on board with TO thing? What we are talking about here, is really, somehow you want to hear from BP and not Jerry about TO. The same with Media. I.e. they and you don't believe Jerry.

Personally, I believe Jerry. So I don't see the need for BP to talk about that. Would I like to hear more from him? Sure, but I don't see the necessity, when there is no need for it. Especially when BP is trying to make sure TO doesn't get special treatment. Having a PC about TO is giving him special treatment, which he hasn't given anyone so far.

So bottom line, I have critized BP, for some of the decisions he has made, but really in this case, I just don't see any real valid point, other than Media needing to write a story or some fans wanting confirmation from BP about TO etc.

Excellant post RCowboyfan ....I totally agree .

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Personally I would love for him to come out at the PC and say... I signed off on the TO pick and that is all I am going to say about TO at this time. This is a PC about the Rooks, ask questions about the rooks.

Excellent post... and wouldn't that be priceless?

He may very well do that... :laugh2:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I want to address something that I've noticed on our board here that bothers me. It is a personal opinion and so I welcome comments both from those who disagree with me as well as those who agree. The only thing I would ask is that you give thoughtful responses to this, not just knee jerk smart alek answers.

I see articles posted, one featuring Dale Hansen for example, others featuring other writers or media types, that criticize Bill Parcells.

Immediately I see posters who jump to Parcell's defense, say that Hansen and others are stupid, jealous, just mad at Parcells and that these people don't speak for us. WE DON'T CARE, the thought goes, WHETHER PARCELLS EVER TALKS OR NOT. Or, HE WILL TALK WHEN HE IS GOOD AND READY, HE IS THE COACH.

I've got to say that I completely disagree with that mindset. Whether I like Dale Hansen or Randy Galloway or anyone who has been critical of Parcells is beside the point.

I believe they do.

*I think fans DO want to hear from our head coach and further more, I think the team owes it to its fans to let us hear from the head coach.

*I think the head coach DOES have to be accountable for the decisions that he is making both in the draft and on the field. I personally don't have any problem with this year's draft, except, once again, it is heavy, heavy on defense. And, when we go offense, we still look like Bill Parcells in that we go TE, and I think it should be clear to everyone that Parcells is living in his past with almost all of his decisions, once again trying to create what he did with the Giants. If he can get it done, I have no problem with that, but I DO THINK that it is worth questioning and worth him addressing.

So, in a nutshell, I just don't understand this immediate wrath upon anyone who questions Parcells, and I don't understand fans who think that the head coach of a professional football team, a team that supposedly cares about its fans and paying customers, doesn't have any obligation to ever speak to the media.

I don't care for the media either, but they are our only conduit for information.

Your opinion?

I have a problem with media people claiming that they are only there to give the fans information. BULL****.

I have a problem with POS journalists like Jen getting all PO'd and claiming that "The fans want to know". BULL****.

It hasn't bothered me in the least that Parcells hasn't talked. Why? Cuz no matter what he says the media will spin it to their liking anyway. What you read in the articles isn't what Parcells means, it's what the writers want you to believe he means. There's maybe 2 writers that have little to no spin in their articles, if that.

Parcells talked to Rosenhaus before we signed TO so don't anyone try and tell me he wasn't on board with the signing. If Parcells wanted nothing to do with TO he wouldn't of wasted his time talking to Rosenhaus. PERIOD.

Was Parcells upset that TO wasn't going to the volutary workouts? Possibly. Will the media make MORE of that then what's really there? ABSO FREAKIN' LUTELY!

Negativity sells. These people don't care about giving us information. All they care about is ratings cuz ratings=$$$. PERIOD.

ravidubey

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
*I think the head coach DOES have to be accountable for the decisions that he is making both in the draft and on the field. I personally don't have any problem with this year's draft, except, once again, it is heavy, heavy on defense. And, when we go offense, we still look like Bill Parcells in that we go TE, and I think it should be clear to everyone that Parcells is living in his past with almost all of his decisions, once again trying to create what he did with the Giants.

cough TO cough

This team is outrageously different than his Giants team offensively. Legit WR's, two receiving and blocking TE's, depth at RB, and a QB who loves to throw deep.

Defensively do you blame him for trying to recreate the style of defense he had in New York with the Giants? It worked with both the Jets and Giants and set the blueprint of success for three Superbowl victories in New England.

Parcells is more accessible to the media than almost any other coach during training camp and the season. He believes in the power of silence and the advantage it gives his team during the offseason. Jerry Jones learned this lesson the hard way, losing Kevin Gogan to the Raiders via free-agency because of a leak that turned out to be flat wrong.

What's wrong if Parcells doesn't feel like talking in the offseason? Just because there is more fan interest than ever and the media is feeding this fan interest (and thus earning a bigger paycheck) doesn't mean Parcells has to or should have to keep providing sound bites.

In my opinion, the media's chomping at the bit because Jerry Jones gives awful and bland interviews. Parcells is better with the media than any other coach, thus the hunger.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Maybe what we need to remember is that football, particularly NFL football is an entertainment business. While we all have a passion for this game, the reality is that we're not dealing with life and death issues. This forum allows us to get an immense amount of information on virtually any subject, and the media, in turn, have a need to generate enough information to quench our thirsts.

We know that our thirsts will never be truly quenched. We will want more and more info, no matter how insignificant. As a result of this, there is a frantic search for stories, particularly leading up the the draft. Teams regularly blow smoke ( and lots of it ) during this time, but Parcells has simply said nothing. It would appear that he has put boundaries around his activities during the offseason, and he chooses to not respond.

Come training camp, I expect to see a difference. He will regularly attend press conferences, make comments to the press, but I don't think we'll see him deal with the press like he did in New York, where he would get into shouting matches with the media. Bill Parcells is older now and he's not interested in debate with the press. Jerry Jones will likely respond in similar kind, as there is a perception that they will eventually come into conflict. When that does not happen, there appears to be a palpable sense of disappointment in the media. Let's face it folks, Parcells is likely not going to serve up a lot of juicy stuff in the immediate future, and when we do get a quote, it may be more likely that it's been considered more carefully than in the past.

I love the debate and interaction on this board, and I appreciate that people are not claiming any monopoly on the truth. That generally leads to respect, which is a commodity we can never have too much of.......

DLCassidy

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I believe they do.

Your opinion?

Some thoughtful responses to your thread. You've asked two questions. I don't see anyone being angry that Parcell's decisions are being questioned. That's the reporters job and the fans right. But as for Parcell's obligations to speak to the media, that's not for you as a fan to say or for the media to say. That's for Jerry Jones his employer to say.

The reporter's stance about the "fans right to know" is absurd in the extreme. We've heard from JJ repeatedly. We've heard from Jeff Ireland. And tomorrow we'll hear from BP himself. Not soon enough? Not often enough? Not your call. Not the media's call. It's Jerry Jones' call and he's fine with Bill having a break from the media before TC starts. If BP was in public office you might have a point. But he isn't. And has been pointed out BP gives the fans and media tons more access than most if not all NFL HC's once TC starts. Certainly way more than Belichick. So enough already. This whole flap is all about hoping for TO controversy anyway and if you can't grasp that you're very naive.

lspain1

Reaction score
rcaldw said:

I believe they do.

Your opinion?

This is a thoughtful post. However, I disagree with some implicit assumptions and I particularly disagree with your use of the media to support your position.

I'll address my last point first. In today's world you have to look at who is asking the question or making the point in the media. This is true for print, radio, and television because every reporter (or broadcaster) out there is now selling themselves to John Q. Public that they are tIhe voice of the people and at the same time know all there is to know. Hansen, JFE, and Galloway fit this mold precisely and all of the primary print media types fit in as well.

Without access to BP, they lose some of the fuel for the fires they continually try to build. Facts are not viewed as selling features for either advertising dollars or contributing to personal media careers. Sales revenue and careers are built these days on controversy and sports media is no exception. As a result, BP provding access to the media is like rolling up your pants so a snake can bite you on the bare leg. It provides BP nothing and costs him a lot in terms of his plans and his dealings with the players. In short, he does not trust the media and he should not. The media have every incentive to treat him unfairly.

Your primary point here is that BP has a responsibility to communicate with the fans simply because he is the head coach. My response to that is that JJ becomes the face of the Cowboys during the offseason and that makes perfect sense to me. BP's professional input and preferences are already apparent in every facet of the Cowboys activities all year long. What exactly does he need to add during the off season that JJ can not handle? During the season, he must communicate because on-field performance is apparent to everyone and he must address both the good and the bad.

I have no problem with questioning Parcells. We question his decisions, his philosophies, and his player decisions all the time on this board. If you don't think so, see Eddie and Crown Royal's opinions on our latest draft. But when the media does the questioning, they are not doing it for "the fans" but for themselves. So I am quick to defend BP against the media because I trust BP far more than I trust the media.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LOL.......

I remember the days when the info you got on the draft was from the USA Today, the following Monday morning. No pictures, no big write ups. Just Ht., Wt., 40, school, position, Rd, Pk, and name. That's it. You waited till your copy of DallasCowboyWeekly got to the house and you scowered it from cover to cover like it was the Rosetta Stone or something. I remember when all you got from the end of the season, to the start of the season, was a little write up in the local paper on the draft and a few teams in your geographical area and your monthly issue. That was it. Now everybody has to have 24/7 coverage and press confrences on everything.

The reality is that we used to survive on a great deal less. You don't need round the clock coverage of a bunch of nothing. Parcells isn't going to say anything that has not already been made available to the fans and interesting how some seem to think that it's a god given right to have the luxury of all this BS.

It's the off season. Let it go. When the season comes, the team will be there and everybody will then be complaining because they can't have access to the locker room. That will be so much more fun to complain about, don't you think?

jimmy40

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I have heard from Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, Jeff Ireland and most of the draft pics and I have heard from those Jones and Ireland multiple times about the team already since the draft.

I have heard MULTIPLE times that Bill will have a PC this weekend.

Let's make no mistake, Bill will talk to the press, The Press has heard from multiple sources that Bill signed off with the TO situation and yet they are still running around whining and nashing their teeth with agendas.

I have no sympathy for them what so ever and I find it insulting that a few of the biggest whiners among the mediots are trying to say they are only wanting him to talk for the FANS.

When it has been shown time and time again in here that many of us just don't feel the same way.

They are really only interested in their OWN RATINGS.

That is why a once mild mannered, calm and logical thinking JFE who was one of the better writers, has turned into a over zealous, over the top shock jock...RATINGS.

And I can pretty much bet money that when they do start asking him questions you watch for a few, ones who have been complaining so much lately, will try and act like tough guys/girls and bully their way to an answer or to try and rile bill up.

Amazing how 99.999999999999% of this forum didn't want anything to do with TO being a Cowboy, have slammed him for years for tearing teams apart and now don't even feel like the head coach should even be asked a question about his signing. Freaking unbelievable.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Amazing how 99.999999999999% of this forum didn't want anything to do with TO being a Cowboy, have slammed him for years for tearing teams apart and now don't even feel like the head coach should even be asked a question about his signing. Freaking unbelievable.

Well Jimmy, I guess I'd have to ask how you come to the % of 99.99999999999...........

:lmao2:

DLCassidy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
LOL.......

I remember the days when the info you got on the draft was from the USA Today, the following Monday morning. No pictures, no big write ups. Just Ht., Wt., 40, school, position, Rd, Pk, and name. That's it. You waited till your copy of DallasCowboyWeekly got to the house and you scowered it from cover to cover like it was the Rosetta Stone or something. I remember when all you got from the end of the season, to the start of the season, was a little write up in the local paper on the draft and a few teams in your geographical area and your monthly issue. That was it. Now everybody has to have 24/7 coverage and press confrences on everything.

The reality is that we used to survive on a great deal less. You don't need round the clock coverage of a bunch of nothing. Parcells isn't going to say anything that has not already been made available to the fans and interesting how some seem to think that it's a god given right to have the luxury of all this BS.

It's the off season. Let it go. When the season comes, the team will be there and everybody will then be complaining because they can't have access to the locker room. That will be so much more fun to complain about, don't you think?

:laugh1: Nice post. Not to get political, but how much more access to the press does Parcells give than our national leaders do on decisions they make which actually affect our lives?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:

Freaking unbelievable reply. Kudos there Jimmah

Re-read this thread and you will see that many of us can see exactly what the pundit journalists are up to and gnashing to get. Its T.O. The problem is. We dont CARE about that crap anymore. The guy is here. He is going to be a fantastic weapon for us. Enough said already. I dont need to know how Bill's innner child will co-exist w/ Owens. I could CARE FLIPPIN LESS. We have been told 100 x that Bill was on board w/ the signing. I feel certain that if he had not then there would be huge fires at the ranch.

If your a journalist right now and legit in your job. You need to bring the fans the coaches view on his new rooks and draft and how it went down. We are so sick and tired of the T.O crap they journalists are trying to stir its boring the piss outta us.

Wisen up already. Deliver the story. Dont try and deliver yourself a Bill Parcells butt chewing so you can look like a hot shot.

Nuff said...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Like I said, certain gutless apologists here are trying to turn this into a referendum on the press, and since the press is generally reviled in society, Big Bill can't lose. It's a flat out farce. Bill has no one to blame for this well-deserved backlash but himself. His cowardice and arrogance is totally disgraceful for a man in his position. His imperious behavior should be slapped down, not lauded. Incredibly, some of you have taken the stance of "not wanting to know" or "we don't deserve to know." BULLSH*T. Jerry and Bill are co-equals. We KNOW Jerry signed off on TO; not so for Bill. Using surrogates like Stephen Jones or Ireland to convey your thoughts is laughably embarrassing, and only ratches up the suspicion. He hasn't pulled this crap in previous stops around the league, and he shouldn't start here. I hate to spoil the hatefest, but the press does represent us at Valley Ranch. The fans deserve answers to important personnel questions and we deserve them in a timely manner. If legends like Landry and Johnson can make themselves accessible, so can Bill--even if he has to lie about TO through his teeth. Bill is a notorious blowhard and bully. The notion that he has to be protected from the likes of JFE is hilarious, if not tragic. Instead, some of you are advocates of "willful ignorance." Sorry, but I want to know.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Like I said, certain gutless apologists here are trying to turn this into a referendum on the press, and since the press is generally reviled in society, Big Bill can't lose. It's a flat out farce. Bill has no one to blame for this well-deserved backlash but himself. His cowardice and arrogance is totally disgraceful for a man in his position. His imperious behavior should be slapped down, not lauded. Incredibly, some of you have taken the stance of "not wanting to know" or "we don't deserve to know." BULLSH*T. Jerry and Bill are co-equals. We KNOW Jerry signed off on TO; not so for Bill. Using surrogates like Stephen Jones or Ireland to convey your thoughts is laughably embarrassing, and only ratches up the suspicion. He hasn't pulled this crap in previous stops around the league, and he shouldn't start here. I hate to spoil the hatefest, but the press does represent us at Valley Ranch. The fans deserve answers to important personnel questions and we deserve them in a timely manner. If legends like Landry and Johnson can make themselves accessible, so can Bill--even if he has to lie about TO through his teeth. Bill is a notorious blowhard and bully. The notion that he has to be protected from the likes of JFE is hilarious, if not tragic. Instead, some of you are advocates of "willful ignorance." Sorry, but I want to know.

Well BB,

It's the off season and I doubt Bill is going to be taking calls off the BATphone till some time later in the year.

The only thing that can be said here is, "It's nice to want."

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
bbgun said:

Insert long fart here !

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
How can one be either gutless or gutsy on a (largely) anonymous message board?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
bbgun said:
More "willful ignorance" on display. Thanks for proving my point.

There is no point to be made. That's the point BB. You can't say that if it was good enough for Coach Landry or Johnson, it's good enough for Parcells. The truth of the matter is that it was different for each of the others.

You will get what you get and like it, or...........

You can BM&C all the day long. In the end, you will find that you are in the exact same place you started.

Have at it.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jimmy40 said:

I still don't want TO on the team. I still don't like TO on the team.

The only time I want to hear TO's name is when the jerk is Scoring TD's for the team.

If so many people don't like TO, if So many were and are tired of hearing about TO, than what in the world makes you or the press think the average fan who has been tired about hearing about TO, Want to hear more crap about TO.

Let's make no mistake about this Jimmy.

This is not about bill not talking, this is about bill not talking about TO that has them in a frenzy.

Since TO has signed I heard the majority of them whining and crying about TO but I also know darn well they LOVE the idea of TO here because no matter what they know they can write an article, rant on the radio about TO and they will get reactions and ratings.

Already we have had Jerry go on record MULTIPLE times saying bill signed off on the TO deal, we have had Stephen Jones say the same thing and I believe that Ireland has said the same. We know bill met with TO's agent at the combine and to my knowledge we did not sign any of drew's rooks.

Yet we still have some of these nimrods saying that bill never signed off on the deal.

If the press wants to impress me, they can write or talk logically and without so much venom and shock jock style about things...instead of just trying to create something for ratings.

Sorry, this is not about defending bill and without a doubt not about defending TO.

This is about calling the press out for being whiners.

If you don't see it that way than so be it.