A Bad Pattern

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I still don't want TO on the team. I still don't like TO on the team.

The only time I want to hear TO's name is when the jerk is Scoring TD's for the team.

If so many people don't like TO, if So many were and are tired of hearing about TO, than what in the world makes you or the press think the average fan who has been tired about hearing about TO, Want to hear more crap about TO.

Let's make no mistake about this Jimmy.

This is not about bill not talking, this is about bill not talking about TO that has them in a frenzy.

Since TO has signed I heard the majority of them whining and crying about TO but I also know darn well they LOVE the idea of TO here because no matter what they know they can write an article, rant on the radio about TO and they will get reactions and ratings.

Already we have had Jerry go on record MULTIPLE times saying bill signed off on the TO deal, we have had Stephen Jones say the same thing and I believe that Ireland has said the same. We know bill met with TO's agent at the combine and to my knowledge we did not sign any of drew's rooks.

Yet we still have some of these nimrods saying that bill never signed off on the deal.

If the press wants to impress me, they can write or talk logically and without so much venom and shock jock style about things...instead of just trying to create something for ratings.

Sorry, this is not about defending bill and without a doubt not about defending TO.

This is about calling the press out for being whiners.

If you don't see it that way than so be it.

Here, here BP.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I don't care for the media either, but they are our only conduit for information.

At one time that may have been true but that definitely no longer the case.

Media people monitor this board and thousands of boards just like it because for the most part, we (as a collective) know more than they do about most issues.

Seriously. If anyone has a question that just driving them nuts because they haven't heard it from Parcells just ask this board. I'm certain that you'll get a more indepth answer from the posters here than any media member will get from Parcells.

I'm not trying to knock the media as a whole, some of them, especially in the newspaper realm, have terrific reporting skills and are always informative. This isn't limited to simply those covering the Dallas Cowboys either, it's pandemic.

As I've said before, it's the ESPNization of sports journalism. Try reading some of the late, great golf or boxing writers. Visceral ability to paint a picture in a reader's mind with a few strokes of a pen or pecks at a typewriter.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I still don't want TO on the team. I still don't like TO on the team.

The only time I want to hear TO's name is when the jerk is Scoring TD's for the team.

If so many people don't like TO, if So many were and are tired of hearing about TO, than what in the world makes you or the press think the average fan who has been tired about hearing about TO, Want to hear more crap about TO.

Let's make no mistake about this Jimmy.

This is not about bill not talking, this is about bill not talking about TO that has them in a frenzy.

Since TO has signed I heard the majority of them whining and crying about TO but I also know darn well they LOVE the idea of TO here because no matter what they know they can write an article, rant on the radio about TO and they will get reactions and ratings.

Already we have had Jerry go on record MULTIPLE times saying bill signed off on the TO deal, we have had Stephen Jones say the same thing and I believe that Ireland has said the same. We know bill met with TO's agent at the combine and to my knowledge we did not sign any of drew's rooks.

Yet we still have some of these nimrods saying that bill never signed off on the deal.

If the press wants to impress me, they can write or talk logically and without so much venom and shock jock style about things...instead of just trying to create something for ratings.

Sorry, this is not about defending bill and without a doubt not about defending TO.

This is about calling the press out for being whiners.

If you don't see it that way than so be it.

:hammer:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score

NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Not even close. We're not mindreaders, bp. Bill is not just any coach. The Cowboys aren't just any team. If Jerry and his flunkies can go on-the-record in a timely fashion, so can Bill. He certainly has the right to stonewall us, but I have the right to call him on his endless bullsh*t. I know who the villain is, and it ain't the press.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
bbgun said:
NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Not even close. We're not mindreaders, bp. Bill is not just any coach. The Cowboys aren't just any team. If Jerry and his flunkies can go on-the-record in a timely fashion, so can Bill. He certainly has the right to stonewall us, but I have the right to call him on his endless bullsh*t. I know who the villain is, and it ain't the press.

Why do we have to know? Why do we have to know specifically from Parcells? Why does it have to be this way?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun said:

I have a feeling that bill could come out and swear on a stack of bibles that he signed off on the deal and you would still be saying that they did not.

Just as he has the right not to say anything he does not want to, just as you have a right to call him on BS....and please do not circumvent the language filter again...we have the right to say the press is full of it.

Since day one bill has been hired as HC the press have been saying he will not last because of Jerry...years later that thing has finally played out and they have bled all they can from that turnip...but looky looky they got a new turnip to bleed named TO.

Funny, or sad, thing about all of this is that the more the press makes of TO the more he gets off on it.

One last thing...I think your takes are just...NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
Why do we have to know? Why do we have to know specifically from Parcells? Why does it have to be this way?

That way they can say....HE IS LYING!

He blabs about no matter what bill will not look bad, yet the way he is going no matter what he will not think bill will look good.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
That way they can say....HE IS LYING!

He blabs about no matter what bill will not look bad, yet the way he is going no matter what he will not think bill will look good.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

LOL....

This is getting to be a regular Rantitorium round here. Must be off season.

BTW, how are you Paint?

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Twenty-four hour television certainly has had an impact on journalism, print and otherwise. Sportswriters once painted pictures, brilliantly taking readers to a game only the folks in the stands actually saw. Today, most folks have seen the game, and sportswriters are left to dissect and to collect quotes from the players and coaches. It's no wonder the writing isn't as skillful. It's no excuse, though, for any deterioration in reporting skills. Has there been deterioration? Maybe. I don't like the ESPN style, either, and I fear that it is turning sports coverage into a kind of "reality television" exercise. I know that's a gutless opinion, but I'm a gutless guy.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
LOL....

This is getting to be a regular Rantitorium round here. Must be off season.

BTW, how are you Paint?

:laugh2:

Flat out tired, might explain me being cranky:D

Hope you have been well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
shaketiller said:
Twenty-four hour television certainly has had an impact on journalism, print and otherwise. Sportswriters once painted pictures, brilliantly taking readers to a game only the folks in the stands actually saw. Today, most folks have seen the game, and sportswriters are left to dissect and to collect quotes from the players and coaches. It's no wonder the writing isn't as skillful. It's no excuse, though, for any deterioration in reporting skills. Has there been deterioration? Maybe. I don't like the ESPN style, either, and I fear that it is turning sports coverage into a kind of "reality television" exercise. I know that's a gutless opinion, but I'm a gutless guy.

Not at all, IMO, and I agree.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
:laugh2:

Flat out tired, might explain me being cranky:D

Hope you have been well.

Well enough but it's time to get up and out the door for me. I'll catch up with everybody later this evening or tomorrow. Have a good one Paint.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I want to address something that I've noticed on our board here that bothers me. It is a personal opinion and so I welcome comments both from those who disagree with me as well as those who agree. The only thing I would ask is that you give thoughtful responses to this, not just knee jerk smart alek answers.

I see articles posted, one featuring Dale Hansen for example, others featuring other writers or media types, that criticize Bill Parcells.

*They criticize him for not talking
*They criticize him for what they view to be some questionable draft picks

Immediately I see posters who jump to Parcell's defense, say that Hansen and others are stupid, jealous, just mad at Parcells and that these people don't speak for us. WE DON'T CARE, the thought goes, WHETHER PARCELLS EVER TALKS OR NOT. Or, HE WILL TALK WHEN HE IS GOOD AND READY, HE IS THE COACH.

I've got to say that I completely disagree with that mindset. Whether I like Dale Hansen or Randy Galloway or anyone who has been critical of Parcells is beside the point.

DO THEY HAVE ANY MERIT IN WHAT THEY ARE SAYING?

I believe they do.

*I think fans DO want to hear from our head coach and further more, I think the team owes it to its fans to let us hear from the head coach.

*I think the head coach DOES have to be accountable for the decisions that he is making both in the draft and on the field. I personally don't have any problem with this year's draft, except, once again, it is heavy, heavy on defense. And, when we go offense, we still look like Bill Parcells in that we go TE, and I think it should be clear to everyone that Parcells is living in his past with almost all of his decisions, once again trying to create what he did with the Giants. If he can get it done, I have no problem with that, but I DO THINK that it is worth questioning and worth him addressing.

So, in a nutshell, I just don't understand this immediate wrath upon anyone who questions Parcells, and I don't understand fans who think that the head coach of a professional football team, a team that supposedly cares about its fans and paying customers, doesn't have any obligation to ever speak to the media.

I don't care for the media either, but they are our only conduit for information.

Your opinion?

No offense RCaldw, but I have just as much right to criticize Dale Hansen and others for their annoying and incessant "where's Bill?" whinefest as you do criticizing Bill Parcells for not holding press-conferences during the off-season. Did you know that during training camp and the regular season, Parcells conducts approximately four press conferences per week? Do the math, and you'll see that he conducts nearly one-hundred press conferences over the course of the entire season! One-Hundred!! And I'm not counting the post-game comments. That is a significant number of his time devoted to answering mostly asinine questions if you ask me. (And most of those PCs are at least thirty-minutes each, except Fridays) Show me where it says he's required to answer media questions year-round, and you might sway me to your way of thinking. ;)

You and I have had spirited debates in the past and I know you are no fan of Parcells, so your stance on this subject doesn't come as a shock to me by any means. You've had nothing positive to say about the man since he kept Drew Hensen on the bench in favor of Vinny T. back in 2004. Feel free to criticize him all you want because you are entitled to your opinion. However, just because a majority of posters here have an opposing opinion to yours doesn't necessarily make it "a bad pattern." :cool:

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I want to address something that I've noticed on our board here that bothers me. It is a personal opinion and so I welcome comments both from those who disagree with me as well as those who agree. The only thing I would ask is that you give thoughtful responses to this, not just knee jerk smart alek answers.

I see articles posted, one featuring Dale Hansen for example, others featuring other writers or media types, that criticize Bill Parcells.

*They criticize him for not talking
*They criticize him for what they view to be some questionable draft picks

Immediately I see posters who jump to Parcell's defense, say that Hansen and others are stupid, jealous, just mad at Parcells and that these people don't speak for us. WE DON'T CARE, the thought goes, WHETHER PARCELLS EVER TALKS OR NOT. Or, HE WILL TALK WHEN HE IS GOOD AND READY, HE IS THE COACH.

I've got to say that I completely disagree with that mindset. Whether I like Dale Hansen or Randy Galloway or anyone who has been critical of Parcells is beside the point.

DO THEY HAVE ANY MERIT IN WHAT THEY ARE SAYING?

I believe they do.

*I think fans DO want to hear from our head coach and further more, I think the team owes it to its fans to let us hear from the head coach.

*I think the head coach DOES have to be accountable for the decisions that he is making both in the draft and on the field. I personally don't have any problem with this year's draft, except, once again, it is heavy, heavy on defense. And, when we go offense, we still look like Bill Parcells in that we go TE, and I think it should be clear to everyone that Parcells is living in his past with almost all of his decisions, once again trying to create what he did with the Giants. If he can get it done, I have no problem with that, but I DO THINK that it is worth questioning and worth him addressing.

So, in a nutshell, I just don't understand this immediate wrath upon anyone who questions Parcells, and I don't understand fans who think that the head coach of a professional football team, a team that supposedly cares about its fans and paying customers, doesn't have any obligation to ever speak to the media.

Your opinion?

Its Parcells. In a way he is the antithesis of Joe Gibbs in terms of the motivational approaches that are used. Yet both are highly effective and at the top of their craft. Both produce tough teams with tons of heart and attitude. Both are legendary coaches who are using tactics that led them to Super Bowls in the past.

If I was a Dallas fan I'd want him to talk more too, but I'd also be damn excited knowing that the team will be tough and will battle like hell with him at the helm.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
if it is just about TO... well there are some inconsistences...

here is what some of the press are saying

CowboysPlus.com | News for Dallas, Texas | Top Story[SIZE=-1]If Parcells is such a magician at handling jerks, why did they just junk AB, who is a top receiver, then go sign another jerk?

[/SIZE]Star-Telegram.com | 03/20/2006 | Jerry's in a dream world. And he ...[SIZE=-1]Parcells is the one who told us when he walked into Dallas that he was too old to put up with jerks. Owens is the jerkiest of jerks. ...

[/SIZE]CowboysPlus.com | News for Dallas, Texas | Top Story[SIZE=-1]IRVING – Terrell Owens and coach Bill Parcells have reached an agreement regarding ... bench presses instead of the clean and jerks that Parcells prefers. ...

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]anyway it seems to me Parcells is speaking out of both sides of his mouth...

now having said that...Bill did the right thing with not addressing the media after TO was signed...because he hasn't done it with any other FA...so bravo Bill

I also believe there has been enough news coming out the ranch that we know what is going on...and that Bill would be talking to the press before long was also pretty much known...

I think that those who claim that the Press loves having Owens here are absolutely correct (instant story)...

I am pretty sure Bill will claim that Owens has a clean slate by him so he was not talking out of both sides of his mouth... and I guess it would be the right thing to say...but it sure would ring kinda hollow...

But all in all it would be just crying over spilt milk in the end anyway..

[/SIZE]

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Parcells is the one who told us when he walked into Dallas that he was too old to put up with jerks

Parcells didn't say that. He said "I'm too old to put up with Thugs".

There's a difference between a "Thug" and a "Jerk".

BHendri5

Reaction score
He does not owe us or the media anything, until TC and the season starts until then, it is his time to do what he wants. Not the media, nor any of us pay Parcells, if Jones has no problem with his silence then no one else should either.

That is the problem with a lot of people, they act like they own the team.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Rack said:
Parcells didn't say that. He said "I'm too old to put up with Thugs".

There's a difference between a "Thug" and a "Jerk".

that could be Rack but (and I might be wrong here) I think he said both at one time or the other

burmafrd

Reaction score
He might have said jerks later on- BUT I am pretty sure that THUGS was what he said FIRST and probably what he MEANT always.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I think this being BP's team, he does have a right to run it as he wishes. Yes, I would like all the tidbits of info out of him as well as the media pundits, but he obviously feels that in some way that would compromise his way of doing things.

its kinda like the way I do things. When I do something, I just do it without looking for 'job well done' from someone else or to explain how I did it. It is like those people who you might call "all business". That is what BP is, no need to stop and chat along the way so to speak.