CFZ A bold roster strategy I would support

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
What about a 2nd round talent that Jethro drafts in the first? Then asks him to drop 30 pounds.
Yes but we have to forgive him because fans knew but Jerry and company knew somehow that DT's take 4 years to develop. They're incapable of learning quickly or just using that God given talent to be good or make a few plays (not be all world, but show something!)

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes but we have to forgive him because fans knew but Jerry and company knew somehow that DT's take 4 years to develop. They're incapable of learning quickly or just using that God given talent to be good or make a few plays (not be all world, but show something!)
Sure I understand that in Dallas we don't understand what makes a good DLineman. That is why you get 1 in free agency.

We had the opportunity and let it go by.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
But would keeping and paying CeeDee be worth it, if they had a much better QB?
This would be an easy question if CD wasn't exactly like the QB in question...great during regular season and then sits out playoff games....to me he could've answered that question in these playoff games just like the QB

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Isn’t it interesting how much of our big talents become less impactful on the bigger stages. This would suggest our issues are much deeper than our lack of talent and weaknesses.
yup when you have 28 years of real facts to go on ....its right there in everyones face...but you know "Change the QB!!!!!"

Chasing6

Reaction score
This would be an easy question if CD wasn't exactly like the QB in question...great during regular season and then sits out playoff games....to me he could've answered that question in these playoff games just like the QB
If we have 3 legit WR's you can't take CD out of the game. We did not have that.

So let's pay CD $25M+ and not be able to add more talent at the WR position then teams will continue to focus and neutralize him and dare you to win with Gallup.

NE had 3 or 4 WR's with similar talent levels. So when you neutralized 1, who cares, you have 3 more. They did the same at RB.

Overpaying Super Stars does not work in the salary cap error.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If we have 3 legit WR's you can't take CD out of the game. We did not have that.

So let's pay CD $25M+ and not be able to add more talent at the WR position then teams will continue to focus and neutralize him and dare you to win with Gallup.

NE had 3 or 4 WR's with similar talent levels. So when you neutralized 1, who cares, you have 3 more. They did the same at RB.

Overpaying Super Stars does not work in the salary cap error.
Exactly and then you add on to it the reason everyon is pissed is players "Dont show up for the playoff games" did i miss these monster games CD and #11 were having in the playoffs?

kskboys

Reaction score
No. We liked that he had no risk to effecting next years comp picks and no one else wanted him so we got him for dirt nothing.

Either that or GM Jethro thinks it takes 10 years to develop a DT.
Jethro has zero idea what makes a DT good.

I never understood the hoopla over Mazi. Both is scouting report and his play in college read like a 4th/5th round talent. Wonder who it was, exactly, who hyped him up?

Scotman

Reaction score
Let me say right off the bat, what I’m about to suggest will never happen. Why? Because Jerry Jones no longer takes big risks in attempts to build a championship roster. In fact, sadly Jerry and Stephen clearly make sales and marketing the centerpiece of what drives this organization more than sound roster moves that give us better chances of winning playoff games.

Most fans around here probably would not support my roster plan either. And I understand that. But I believe this is the way to make this team better in the long run. So what is the roster building strategy I would support? Here it is:
  • Make 2024 an aggressive rebuild. Simply put, if we are being honest, there is no core of this team that has done anything important in the playoffs. Yes, the last 3 years have given us 3 playoff appearances, BUT…that has resulted in 1 wild card win. That’s not worth building around IMO.
  • Seek trades for Cedee Lamb, Micah Parsons, Dak, Zack Martin and D-Law. Having all these top paid guys (Lamb and Parsons will be soon) collectively have given us 3 wild card wins - one back when Romo was QB. Here’s my thinking on this:
    • Trade Cedee Lamb- why? Yes Lamb deserves a big payday. But I would not pay him top market dollar because keeping him here at top market value does not make this team better. It keeps it the same. He has disappeared at times in big games and pouts way too easily. I would see if we could get a first round pick for him.
    • Trade Micah Parsons- I would think long and hard about paying this guy top of the defensive market. Not because of talent. He’s the most talented guy on this team. But he’s also the biggest head case on this team. Hate to say it, he disappears in big games, pouts and talks waaaay too much. Trade him while his value is high. He might garner a first and a second round pick.
    • Trade Dak Prescott- I know the Jones boys don’t have the stones to do this but I would be vigorously seeking trade partners right now for Dak. They should have shopped him to Pitts because I think Dak would have agreed to that trade. That “no trade clause” just means they need to find a team he would like. It may be too late now.
    • See what trading Zack Martin, Trevon Diggs and D-Law could garner- doubtful there would be much value for Martin and Law at their age but I would explore it. Diggs maybe.
  • Use the haul in draft picks for a rebuild of the core of this team.
    • Draft a QB in the first round for a change.
    • Draft a LT, G/C, WR and edge rusher the next two years that you can build around.
As stated earlier, the current core of this team has not given us much of anything in playoff wins. Isn’t that what we are supposed to be about? Winning playoff games? Like I said at the beginning, this will never happen. The Jones boys are mostly about sales and marketing. This is why they sign their “marquee” players whether or not having them means we have a legit shot at a Lombardi.

IMO it is long past the time to move on from this core of players who have underachieved. A new era of Cowboys football should be in the making. Don‘t hold your breath. There are jerseys and commercials to sell first.
I certainly don't think this wins us any less Superbowls than we've had in the last 25 years. And, it would put Jerry's team back in the spotlight for at least a couple of years as the draft picks were used. After watching the playoffs last year, this wouldn't have hurt my feelings.

Bagman

Reaction score
Let me say right off the bat, what I’m about to suggest will never happen. Why? Because Jerry Jones no longer takes big risks in attempts to build a championship roster. In fact, sadly Jerry and Stephen clearly make sales and marketing the centerpiece of what drives this organization more than sound roster moves that give us better chances of winning playoff games.

Most fans around here probably would not support my roster plan either. And I understand that. But I believe this is the way to make this team better in the long run. So what is the roster building strategy I would support? Here it is:
  • Make 2024 an aggressive rebuild. Simply put, if we are being honest, there is no core of this team that has done anything important in the playoffs. Yes, the last 3 years have given us 3 playoff appearances, BUT…that has resulted in 1 wild card win. That’s not worth building around IMO.
  • Seek trades for Cedee Lamb, Micah Parsons, Dak, Zack Martin and D-Law. Having all these top paid guys (Lamb and Parsons will be soon) collectively have given us 3 wild card wins - one back when Romo was QB. Here’s my thinking on this:
    • Trade Cedee Lamb- why? Yes Lamb deserves a big payday. But I would not pay him top market dollar because keeping him here at top market value does not make this team better. It keeps it the same. He has disappeared at times in big games and pouts way too easily. I would see if we could get a first round pick for him.
    • Trade Micah Parsons- I would think long and hard about paying this guy top of the defensive market. Not because of talent. He’s the most talented guy on this team. But he’s also the biggest head case on this team. Hate to say it, he disappears in big games, pouts and talks waaaay too much. Trade him while his value is high. He might garner a first and a second round pick.
    • Trade Dak Prescott- I know the Jones boys don’t have the stones to do this but I would be vigorously seeking trade partners right now for Dak. They should have shopped him to Pitts because I think Dak would have agreed to that trade. That “no trade clause” just means they need to find a team he would like. It may be too late now.
    • See what trading Zack Martin, Trevon Diggs and D-Law could garner- doubtful there would be much value for Martin and Law at their age but I would explore it. Diggs maybe.
    • Draft a LT, G/C, WR and edge rusher the next two years that you can build around.
As stated earlier, the current core of this team has not given us much of anything in playoff wins. Isn’t that what we are supposed to be about? Winning playoff games? Like I said at the beginning, this will never happen. The Jones boys are mostly about sales and marketing. This is why they sign their “marquee” players whether or not having them means we have a legit shot at a Lombardi.

IMO it is long past the time to move on from this core of players who have underachieved. A new era of Cowboys football should be in the making. Don‘t hold your breath. There are jerseys and commercials to sell first.
I agree with you 10000%, if that's possible. Lol. You win or lose as a team and this TEAM isn't going to win anything. It must be rebuilt. It's really sad we don't have a young, smart, aggressive GM to tackle that challenge. We have ammo to make the necessary trades, we don't have the FO to do it.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Why not? Can you imagine our WR corps without him?

It sounds like you don't want to pay anyone a second contract, except, what, QB, LT, and Edge rusher? The league looks at WRs differently. Look at how many WRs go in the first round every year now.
Because they can't afford to pay top dollar to WR. Save that money for QB LT and Edge. Thats why the WR churn is real and tons get drafted.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't think it is any teams beat interest to have the highest paid player in any position on your roster.

If they are that good trade them for multiple picks and spend the money somewhere else.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

You're basically going with a blow it up and rebuild approach. I don't disagree. I think the team we have, with some modifications, might get us one, maybe two, more playoff wins in the next 5 years. That's not the goal. I'm good with your plan, except that I would add one more important element to it:
Use the ample draft picks we gathered via your plan to attract a super-disciplined coach, a Jimmy Johnson type, and give him full autonomy to do what he wants. That's the part that probably won't happen. Ironically, it's what worked for Jerry early on. The team Jimmy inherited could probably have gotten 4 or 5 wins if they had kept Herschel Walker. That trade killed (what was left of) the '89 season, but built for the future. I'm not saying they can pull off another Walker-style trade, but they could get the most possible for the players you mention. However, without installing a smart coach with full authority, and no Jerry meddling, they would just muck things up again with the new players.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Which is why I would rather win our division and be an underdog in the playoffs, than watch GM Jethro destroy an opportunity to rebuild.

At best we would only get back to exactly where we are now.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Which is why I would rather win our division and be an underdog in the playoffs, than watch GM Jethro destroy an opportunity to rebuild.

At best we would only get back to exactly where we are now.
100%...We are stuck on rinse and repeat..the maytag man cant fix our problem either....

Chasing6

Reaction score
100%...We are stuck on rinse and repeat..the maytag man cant fix our problem either....
To top it off we never really went all in to give this team a chance. It should be a normal cycle.

1. Build a solid team.
2. Go all in 2 to 3 year window.
3. Blow it up and rebuild.

We are stuck in phase 1.