CFZ A bold roster strategy I would support

ShortRound

Reaction score
If the philosophy of the Jones’ is to build young and cheap you would think they would welcome trading some of their featured players. (For more picks of course)

I am surprised this hasn’t happened with anyone of significance yet.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have no problem with an aggressive rebuild if that is the plan. Yes, it would mean trading CeeDee, now. It would also mean trading the other players you mentioned. I do hesitate with Micah though. He is a generational talent. Before I move on from him, I would give him one more year. They can trade him next year just as easily as they can trade him this year.

There is one problem with this plan. Who is rebuilding this team? The same guys who built the team in 2023 and before? You know it is. So my question is, what makes anyone think the next team rebuilt by Jerry and Stephen will be any better than the one that got blown out by the Packers? In fact, I would argue this front office will take years to recover from an aggressive rebuild strategy.

To me the problem is very simple in Dallas. They can get close by drafting good players about as well as anyone. But the problem is, when they get 1 or 2 players away, they will not get over the hump by signing a couple of impact free agents. This is true now, and it will be true with the next rebuilt roster. Every other team will sign free agents who can help the team, except Dallas. That is a major handicap. Any expectation that a rebuild will be any different after 30 years to me is wishful thinking. The only chance we may have had is Jerry gets to old and moves on. Even this is a problem since Stephen appears to be much worse.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Let me say right off the bat, what I’m about to suggest will never happen. Why? Because Jerry Jones no longer takes big risks in attempts to build a championship roster. In fact, sadly Jerry and Stephen clearly make sales and marketing the centerpiece of what drives this organization more than sound roster moves that give us better chances of winning playoff games.

Most fans around here probably would not support my roster plan either. And I understand that. But I believe this is the way to make this team better in the long run. So what is the roster building strategy I would support? Here it is:
  • Make 2024 an aggressive rebuild. Simply put, if we are being honest, there is no core of this team that has done anything important in the playoffs. Yes, the last 3 years have given us 3 playoff appearances, BUT…that has resulted in 1 wild card win. That’s not worth building around IMO.
  • Seek trades for Cedee Lamb, Micah Parsons, Dak, Zack Martin and D-Law. Having all these top paid guys (Lamb and Parsons will be soon) collectively have given us 3 wild card wins - one back when Romo was QB. Here’s my thinking on this:
    • Trade Cedee Lamb- why? Yes Lamb deserves a big payday. But I would not pay him top market dollar because keeping him here at top market value does not make this team better. It keeps it the same. He has disappeared at times in big games and pouts way too easily. I would see if we could get a first round pick for him.
    • Trade Micah Parsons- I would think long and hard about paying this guy top of the defensive market. Not because of talent. He’s the most talented guy on this team. But he’s also the biggest head case on this team. Hate to say it, he disappears in big games, pouts and talks waaaay too much. Trade him while his value is high. He might garner a first and a second round pick.
    • Trade Dak Prescott- I know the Jones boys don’t have the stones to do this but I would be vigorously seeking trade partners right now for Dak. They should have shopped him to Pitts because I think Dak would have agreed to that trade. That “no trade clause” just means they need to find a team he would like. It may be too late now.
    • See what trading Zack Martin, Trevon Diggs and D-Law could garner- doubtful there would be much value for Martin and Law at their age but I would explore it. Diggs maybe.
  • Use the haul in draft picks for a rebuild of the core of this team.
    • Draft a QB in the first round for a change.
    • Draft a LT, G/C, WR and edge rusher the next two years that you can build around.
As stated earlier, the current core of this team has not given us much of anything in playoff wins. Isn’t that what we are supposed to be about? Winning playoff games? Like I said at the beginning, this will never happen. The Jones boys are mostly about sales and marketing. This is why they sign their “marquee” players whether or not having them means we have a legit shot at a Lombardi.

IMO it is long past the time to move on from this core of players who have underachieved. A new era of Cowboys football should be in the making. Don‘t hold your breath. There are jerseys and commercials to sell first.
Hard to build a competitive team with 5th round picks.....

Because you and I know how tough of a negotiating fool Jerry is.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You have to adjust your expectations. I waved my white flag years ago.

We still have hopefully at least 17 meaningful games each season we can root our team on.

Anything beyond that is shallow. It is what it is. This franchise priorities are out of whack. And expecting something different is foolish.
So since you’re hopeless, why are you here? Just to make posts like this one? There should be a Quitters thread.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Totally disagree Bobhaze....And for one reason. Jerry make that two...And Stephen Jones. Will is gone...IMO...after this season. So you'll have Bozo and Betelgeuse making all the calls :facepalm: These clowns couldn't build a plastic Barbie dollhouse with instructions. Minus the guys you would trade? I'd say top 6 picks for eternity.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You don’t have to give up. Just lower expectations. Doesn’t mean we still can’t root our team on . We just aren’t as likely to win a championship under this dysfunctional ownership .

I have found a way to just enjoy trying to win each game . It just takes a different mentality to root on a more dormant or less successful organization. Unfortunately I’ve had a lifetime of practice with my Alma Mater.
How long you’ve been a fan has nothing to do with it. I’ve been a Cowboys fan since before Staubach and what I’ve learned, and you haven’t, is that anything can happen in the NFL.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So since you’re hopeless, why are you here? Just to make posts like this one? There should be a Quitters thread.
Why do I show up for Alma Mater knowing they aren’t likely to win a championship.

The Cowboys are my local team. I’ll always root them on. Don’t need hope.

There’s still joy in winning individual games. Much like upsetting a school rival .

I love football and the competitive nature. My team doesn’t have to be good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How long you’ve been a fan has nothing to do with it. I’ve been a Cowboys fan since before Staubach and what I’ve learned, and you haven’t, is that anything can happen in the NFL.
Been a fan since expansion.

The Cowboys are not the championship caliber franchise we once were. And that’s fine . Never was a guarantee it would last.

We’ve become more like other franchises which go decades without playing for a championship. That’s ok. Somone has to lose.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Been a fan since expansion.

The Cowboys are not the championship caliber franchise we once were. And that’s fine . Never was a guarantee it would last.

We’ve become more like other franchises which go decades without playing for a championship. That’s ok. Somone has to lose.
Well, I hope I never sink to this level.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Let me say right off the bat, what I’m about to suggest will never happen. Why? Because Jerry Jones no longer takes big risks in attempts to build a championship roster. In fact, sadly Jerry and Stephen clearly make sales and marketing the centerpiece of what drives this organization more than sound roster moves that give us better chances of winning playoff games.

Most fans around here probably would not support my roster plan either. And I understand that. But I believe this is the way to make this team better in the long run. So what is the roster building strategy I would support? Here it is:
  • Make 2024 an aggressive rebuild. Simply put, if we are being honest, there is no core of this team that has done anything important in the playoffs. Yes, the last 3 years have given us 3 playoff appearances, BUT…that has resulted in 1 wild card win. That’s not worth building around IMO.
  • Seek trades for Cedee Lamb, Micah Parsons, Dak, Zack Martin and D-Law. Having all these top paid guys (Lamb and Parsons will be soon) collectively have given us 3 wild card wins - one back when Romo was QB. Here’s my thinking on this:
    • Trade Cedee Lamb- why? Yes Lamb deserves a big payday. But I would not pay him top market dollar because keeping him here at top market value does not make this team better. It keeps it the same. He has disappeared at times in big games and pouts way too easily. I would see if we could get a first round pick for him.
    • Trade Micah Parsons- I would think long and hard about paying this guy top of the defensive market. Not because of talent. He’s the most talented guy on this team. But he’s also the biggest head case on this team. Hate to say it, he disappears in big games, pouts and talks waaaay too much. Trade him while his value is high. He might garner a first and a second round pick.
    • Trade Dak Prescott- I know the Jones boys don’t have the stones to do this but I would be vigorously seeking trade partners right now for Dak. They should have shopped him to Pitts because I think Dak would have agreed to that trade. That “no trade clause” just means they need to find a team he would like. It may be too late now.
    • See what trading Zack Martin, Trevon Diggs and D-Law could garner- doubtful there would be much value for Martin and Law at their age but I would explore it. Diggs maybe.
  • Use the haul in draft picks for a rebuild of the core of this team.
    • Draft a QB in the first round for a change.
    • Draft a LT, G/C, WR and edge rusher the next two years that you can build around.
As stated earlier, the current core of this team has not given us much of anything in playoff wins. Isn’t that what we are supposed to be about? Winning playoff games? Like I said at the beginning, this will never happen. The Jones boys are mostly about sales and marketing. This is why they sign their “marquee” players whether or not having them means we have a legit shot at a Lombardi.

IMO it is long past the time to move on from this core of players who have underachieved. A new era of Cowboys football should be in the making. Don‘t hold your breath. There are jerseys and commercials to sell first.
I agree with this take, everything but trading Diggs. Great corners are hard to come by and having him and Bland around, along with solid safety play solves some problems with the pass rush. The secondary is as good as its been since I've been a fan and unless the offer is too great to pass up, I'm keeping that intact.

The numbers don't line up to keep everyone around. I like Micah the player, but I worry what happens when he gets paid. He's the most valuable asset on the team and would be a great piece to have around if they were primed for a run. It doesn't look like that's the case and I could see him taking a turn for the worst when, not if, they start losing more games. People will mock this take, and I could be wrong, but I'd rather not risk it and find out the hard way.

Lamb is my favorite player on this team. If they did manage to trade Dak and Micah, I'd really want him around to help bring the new guy up to speed. He's a valuable asset, a gamebreaker, with minimal drama. I don't like how he gets down on himself at times, but nobody is perfect. If Dak is going to stick around, I'd trade Lamb today. You can't invest $90m towards two players and expect to remain competitive when there are numerous glaring holes across the roster. If Dak is to make $60m/y, he needs to be able to elevate his receivers. Mahommes and Brady have/had that ability. Those are the guys you pay big money, and ironically enough, those are the guys that took lighter deals to help their teams.

There's no easy fix here. I'd love to keep the band together for one more run, but with gaping holes along both lines, uncertainty at LB, and no running backs, lack of depth at receiver, etc..., I don't see how this team can compete, even with a home run, 5 starter draft. A rebuild is the hardest decision to make, but it's the best, and imo the only viable option on the table.

rambo2

Reaction score
Why do I show up for Alma Mater knowing they aren’t likely to win a championship.

The Cowboys are my local team. I’ll always root them on. Don’t need hope.

There’s still joy in winning individual games. Much like upsetting a school rival .

I love football and the competitive nature. My team doesn’t have to be good.
Your team is good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, I hope I never sink to this level.
It’s really not a big deal being a fan of a more dormant less successful organization or school.

If your kids team was lousy you’d still show up to root them on.

There’s tons of fans around the country who root their team on without much hope.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If the philosophy of the Jones’ is to build young and cheap you would think they would welcome trading some of their featured players. (For more picks of course)

I am surprised this hasn’t happened with anyone of significance yet.
Getting rid of your star players doesn't sell merchandise and that's all they care about.

tm1119

Reaction score
The Jones’ family brainwashing is coming full circle. Trade away all of the good young players before you have to pay them…solid team building plan.

rags747

Reaction score
I’m ok with all of this but I would go with Lance in 24 and if he bombs then we set ourselves up for a top qb in the 25 draft. The top qb’s this draft are not that enticing except for a couple possibly.