A few things I noticed on Offense

cern

Reaction score
Maybe my eyes deceive me. The d line is meh. Corners were good last year, and one of the better corners JLew still on the bench. Safeties are still the worst starting unit in the NFL. X woods might be able to do his thing in practice but I like to see it in games.
Kris Richard has at least recently said Jourdan lewis is the exception to the rule. translation, damn good corner despite not being tall.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Cobb is not an upgrade. And unless witten is really refreshed, 3rd and 5 will be a little harder this year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
last year week one ,not even a year ago, 9 catchers, 142 yards, 1 TD against Chicago.......
So? The fact that he had 1 big play last year is exactly my point...his YPC was actually lower than Beasley last year.
He's a 4.46 guy
So? Just because he was that when he got drafted doesn't mean he is anymore. That was 9 years and about 20 injuries ago.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
So? The fact that he had 1 big play last year is exactly my point...his YPC was actually lower than Beasley last year.

So? Just because he was that when he got drafted doesn't mean he is anymore. That was 9 years and about 20 injuries ago.
He battled a serious hamstring injury all year....this is a different offense, with his ability to get open in short areas, if he's healthy all year, you'll be eating your words....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That Cobb can in a way that Beasley couldn't.

People act like Cobb is some 4.3 guy. He's not. The conversation around him is exactly as it was about Deonte Thompson last year.

Blazing speed isn't the key though. Cobb's worst seasons are still better than Thompson's best. He is just a much better receiver.

Cobb has lost a little over the years, although really some of the drop in production was due to the emergence of Jordy Nelson and Devonte Adams in Green Bay, but for what we are looking for he should be very good. We don't need him to be a #1 or even #2 receiver. 600 + yards and 4-5 TDs would be a nice contribution.

irishline

Reaction score

The difference was .2 YPC. 10.1 to 10.3. Very negligable.

However Cobb's yards after catch 6.2 YAC (233 on 38 receptions) was almost twice as much as Beasley 3.3 YAC (213 on 65 receptions). Beasley caught the ball and went down. Cobb doesn't. Even if you adjust out the big catch against the Bears, he still averaged 2 YAC more per reception.

Whether or not he is an upgrade, its difficult to compare them. They are different players and bring different dimensions to their team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
*this is a far better offense than faced the Rams in the playoffs*

3 - Su'a-Filo is ridiculously right handed and a far better RG than LG, looked comfortable
Interesting observation.
- When Martin missed a game last season, SF played LG & CW played RG.
- I thought it was odd to move the rookie instead of the veteran.
- He is an odd player to analyze.
- He will look really good for a stretch and then just whiff where it appears his feet just stopped moving.

4 - the WRs are running better patterns under Sanjay, but are sloppy blockers vs the Dooley days.
That's difficult to judge based on most of the WRs that were playing.

These players are above average blockers as WRs:
- Cedrick Wilson
- Noah Brown
- Tony Pollard - If lined up at WR. He also did a lot of open field blocking from a running back or wildcat QB position in college.

8 - Cobb looked lackadaisical, just there, not sure how much of an upgrade he is at Z
Cobb has looked really good in camp practices.

9 - Austin will see quite a few snaps, like last year they'll throw to 8/+ targets every game.
If Zeke returns, then Pollard might get some of those targets.
- Pollard might line up at WR with Zeke at RB.
- They've been using 2 RB sets in camp practices and not always with a FB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cobb is an upgrade over Beasley in this offense, he has the ability to stretch the middle and take a pass all the way to the house, Beasley couldn't.....
That Cobb can in a way that Beasley couldn't.

People act like Cobb is some 4.3 guy. He's not. The conversation around him is exactly as it was about Deonte Thompson last year.
last year week one ,not even a year ago, 9 catchers, 142 yards, 1 TD against Chicago.......
This is a myth. Hasn't been true for years.

In general (not specific to deep speed) Cobb has been a better WR than Beasley over their careers.

The only concern with Cobb is that he remain healthy after having an injury plagued season in 2018.

I have no idea how Deonte Thompson relates to the Cobb discussion.
- Thompson's career pales in comparison to Cobb's.
- Thompson was signed as a low cost deep threat last year.
- Thompson was actually a little better as an overall WR than expected.
- Thompson ended up starting 4 games because TWill was either injured or flaked out.

Number1

Reaction score
The first two items make me very happy.

I don't understand what you're saying in #9. Austin maxed out at 3 targets and 4 touches last year. There's no way he'll get anywhere near 8 targets a game.

I said they were throwing to 8/+ different targets a game which I expect will get him more in the mix than we expect,
he's not accidentally running with the 1s with Cooper held out

Shinaoi

Reaction score
strictly from a financial point of view, cobb is a better deal than Beasley.

I agree to that, and I think it was wise choice to let Beasley go. I just don’t think Cobb is a better player.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He battled a serious hamstring injury all year....this is a different offense, with his ability to get open in short areas, if he's healthy all year, you'll be eating your words....
Getting open in short areas is what Cole Beasley does better than almost every WR in the league.

Cobb's always battling injuries...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The difference was .2 YPC. 10.1 to 10.3. Very negligable.

However Cobb's yards after catch 6.2 YAC (233 on 38 receptions) was almost twice as much as Beasley 3.3 YAC (213 on 65 receptions). Beasley caught the ball and went down. Cobb doesn't. Even if you adjust out the big catch against the Bears, he still averaged 2 YAC more per reception.

Whether or not he is an upgrade, its difficult to compare them. They are different players and bring different dimensions to their team.
Yea, the point is just that it's not like Cobb is just making explosive play after explosive play.

I don't disagree that Cobb is better after the catch...but a ton of this comes down to usage and system. When you're catching 5-yard out routes - as opposed to screens or drags - of course you're not going to have any YAC.

I don't agree that Cobb brings a different dimension. I don't think he brings a particularly unique dimension at all. It's fair to say that Cobb is a better fit because he's more versatile (I wouldn't agree, but whatever), but Beasley is one of the 2 or 3 best in the league at what he does.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I have no idea how Deonte Thompson relates to the Cobb discussion.
I didn't compare the players, I said the conversation around them is the same. Some thought Thompson was going to be this explosive, downfield playmaker. He was never going to be. It's the same as Cobb.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
1 - Frederick looks to be back, that means a clean pocket, and cut back lanes on the ground

2 - Williams had a pancake block to start the game, and stayed on his man each snap

3 - Su'a-Filo is ridiculously right handed and a far better RG than LG, looked comfortable

4 - the WRs are running better patterns under Sanjay, but are sloppy blockers vs the Dooley days

5 - the return of the lead draw and it looked like a R/P option :) ... that will give DCs fits

6 - for those complaining about Dak's deep game, my rap when drafted was his short touch, it's fixed :)

7 - Pollard finishes well, he brings serious play speed to an O that just didn't make enough big plays

8 - Cobb looked lackadaisical, just there, not sure how much of an upgrade he is at Z

9 - Austin will see quite a few snaps, like last year they'll throw to 8/+ targets every game

10 - it will be very hard to get this O off the field, which creates long ball opportunities

*this is a far better offense than faced the Rams in the playoffs*
Those thinking Austin will be cut are wrong. Tavon has a roster spot here with the Cowboys, at least for this year.

Brax

Reaction score
Maybe my eyes deceive me. The d line is meh. Corners were good last year, and one of the better corners JLew still on the bench. Safeties are still the worst starting unit in the NFL. X woods might be able to do his thing in practice but I like to see it in games.
you worry about the D we should all be worried about the FG kicker, with the troubles the O has in the red zone 3 points means a lot when the O only averages about 2 TDs a game.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said they were throwing to 8/+ different targets a game which I expect will get him more in the mix than we expect,
he's not accidentally running with the 1s with Cooper held out
Ah, now I see.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is a myth. Hasn't been true for years.

I agree.

Beasley > Cobb.

I'll buy that Cobb will be better vertically but Dak isn't a vertical guy and Beasley was a tough cover if we could ever get him in man coverage.

3rd and 3 or 4 with Beasley not bracketed was automatic.

I think Cobb playing on the turf and getting off the Frozen Tundra will help speed him up.