A few things I noticed on Offense

Number1

Reaction score
Did you happen to notice who the O was playing against?

I did, I'll also point we didn't exactly have our starting OL on the field

IMO, the top 2, Frederick and Williams, are critical, with a clean pocket and cut back lanes this O will be far better.

Without a good OC and LG it is hard to put up points in a play action deep system - even with great skill players.

LTs are super valued in the NFL, but given the choice of a great LT or LG, I'll take the LG as they face serious D3s on most snaps and have to win battles to allow plays to develop, just my take on it

quickccc

Reaction score
1 - Frederick looks to be back, that means a clean pocket, and cut back lanes on the ground
- the return of best center in NFL gonna be huge heckuva difference

2 - Williams had a pancake block to start the game, and stayed on his man each snap
- i'd like to see Conner less on the ground, but he's progressing- we'll see him vs top notch DTs

3 - Su'a-Filo is ridiculously right handed and a far better RG than LG, looked comfortable
- Helps Sua Filo vs 2nd/3rd stringers as he fades the more he plays but stay tune as he's critical sub for Martin (back issues)

4 - the WRs are running better patterns under Sanjay, but are sloppy blockers vs the Dooley days
- in 2 Pre/games, nothing much from Davis/Guyton (who was pulled again per more mistakes) JJ needs great refining in his catch techniques, Smith coming on, hope
he can return to top form. Drafted high in 2nd rd. as a top notch speed merchant prospect

5 - the return of the lead draw and it looked like a R/P option :) ... that will give DCs fits
- I think the new OC, pre-snap motion, deeper long ball plan and pollard-use will be biggest new impact on team

6 - for those complaining about Dak's deep game, my rap when drafted was his short touch, it's fixed :)
- i'm liking Dak thus far; more long ball emphasis and his quick read/quickly thrown passes

7 - Pollard finishes well, he brings serious play speed to an O that just didn't make enough big plays
- Kellen keeping his Pollard designs/plans as receiver under wraps til reg season ?

8 - Cobb looked lackadaisical, just there, not sure how much of an upgrade he is at Z
- i'll wait, only one catch- maybe Kellen has planned designs for Cobb-slot/outside too ?

9 - Austin will see quite a few snaps, like last year they'll throw to 8/+ targets every game
- I hope not, biggest key will be punt returns, jet-sweeps and spot duty WR, bigger snaps likely to go to Pollard in pass game/gimmick

10 - it will be very hard to get this O off the field, which creates long ball opportunities
- biggest challenges remains the red zone and (FG kicker ?) we get plus yards but how do we fix the red zone issues ?

*this is a far better offense than faced the Rams in the playoffs*

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He didn’t take any passes to the house last free lol?
Yea, he took 1...but who cares? Lots of guys have *1* big play a year, it doesn't define who they are as players.

Cobb's long last year was the same as Vance MacDonald. Is he all of a sudden a big play threat? The year before, Beasley's long catch was for more yards than Cobb's. Rod Smith had an 80-something yard TD catch, is he a big home run threat?

Cobb had 38 catches last year. 25 of them were for less than 10 yards. 13 were for 5 or less. If you're keeping score, that's more than 1/3 of his catches. I'm supposed to believe that he's, all of a sudden, going to be some explosive playmaker and stretch the field? No thanks.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Just think we have a top 10 type offense (when we got amari) and that was with the vanilla play calling. Hopefully moore brings something different in terms of calling plays.

I for one am sick of seeing an incompletion on first down followed up by the 2nd and 10 run. Yes i know its warranted sometimes, however we literally do it 90% of the time. Gotta trust your players, especially your qb. Give the defense a different look once in a while, the great teams do this.

Number1

Reaction score
Cobb had 38 catches last year. 25 of them were for less than 10 yards. 13 were for 5 or less. If you're keeping score, that's more than 1/3 of his catches. I'm supposed to believe that he's, all of a sudden, going to be some explosive playmaker and stretch the field?

good point, also Cobb doesn't have the speed many imagine

20-40y splits:

Austin 1.78
Cooper 1.79
Johnson 1.82* pro day
Smith 1.83
Guyton 1.83* pro day
Gallup 1.85
Cobb 1.89
Wilson 1.90
Brown 1.93

by comparison, Wilson is as fast as Dez or Harper. BTW, 1.85 or under is considered killer deep speed

Cobb is probably not much faster (if at all) compared to Beasley, but he's a better open field runner. IMO, Beasley is rather slow with the ball in his hands. By the way, Pollard comes in at 1.89 but is incredibly fast with the ball in his hands. IMO, with the ball he's faster than Zeke, despite Zeke's 1.85

if I'm right about this WR group:

Austin 1.78
Cooper 1.79
Smith 1.83
Gallup 1.85
Cobb 1.89
Wilson 1.90

4 of the 6 game day WRs can flat run past 4 of 5 CBs and 9 of 10 Ss - that kind of speed is very rare, even in the NFL
and all but Smith are known for exceptional hands

8 in the box is a dumb idea vs this group, even 7 is real dicey for teams that can't get to Dak in the pocket

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea, he took 1...but who cares? Lots of guys have *1* big play a year, it doesn't define who they are as players.

Cobb's long last year was the same as Vance MacDonald. Is he all of a sudden a big play threat? The year before, Beasley's long catch was for more yards than Cobb's. Rod Smith had an 80-something yard TD catch, is he a big home run threat?

Cobb had 38 catches last year. 25 of them were for less than 10 yards. 13 were for 5 or less. If you're keeping score, that's more than 1/3 of his catches. I'm supposed to believe that he's, all of a sudden, going to be some explosive playmaker and stretch the field? No thanks.
Well I mean I’m not saying you should care but you said it was a myth.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If you want to go by preseason (you shouldn't), it looks like Beasely is the #1 option for Allen in Buffalo.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
1 - Frederick looks to be back, that means a clean pocket, and cut back lanes on the ground

2 - Williams had a pancake block to start the game, and stayed on his man each snap

3 - Su'a-Filo is ridiculously right handed and a far better RG than LG, looked comfortable

4 - the WRs are running better patterns under Sanjay, but are sloppy blockers vs the Dooley days

5 - the return of the lead draw and it looked like a R/P option :) ... that will give DCs fits

6 - for those complaining about Dak's deep game, my rap when drafted was his short touch, it's fixed :)

7 - Pollard finishes well, he brings serious play speed to an O that just didn't make enough big plays

8 - Cobb looked lackadaisical, just there, not sure how much of an upgrade he is at Z

9 - Austin will see quite a few snaps, like last year they'll throw to 8/+ targets every game

10 - it will be very hard to get this O off the field, which creates long ball opportunities

*this is a far better offense than faced the Rams in the playoffs*

They threw to Austin 8+ times a game last season?

CB61

Reaction score
Cobb is an upgrade over Beasley in this offense, he has the ability to stretch the middle and take a pass all the way to the house, Beasley couldn't.....
That has always been Randall Cobb's game he doesn't look all that good and then all of a sudden he's got the ball going up the side lines for 50 yards hypothetically speaking of course you all know what I mean he will be fine if he isn't he'll be gone

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Please go sit down somewhere and let grown folk talk. You're embarrassing yourself once again Kevin.
Embarrassing you, the Cowboys hating, team insulting troll, that is.

Comprehension is not one of your strengths.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Interesting. I don't think it changes the dynamic much. Looney stays. McGovern stays. Maybe Redmond.

*Maybe* SF isn't active on gameday unless he starts? He's the primary full game backup if a G can't start?

Without McGovern's pec injury, I'd expect SF would be gone no doubt. But maybe if McGovern and Redmond aren't up to it.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The most glaring thing I noticed was that the Cowboys won't have a shot at a win with any of their back up QBs.