A few things I noticed on Offense

sideon

Reaction score
1 - Frederick looks to be back, that means a clean pocket, and cut back lanes on the ground

2 - Williams had a pancake block to start the game, and stayed on his man each snap

3 - Su'a-Filo is ridiculously right handed and a far better RG than LG, looked comfortable

4 - the WRs are running better patterns under Sanjay, but are sloppy blockers vs the Dooley days

5 - the return of the lead draw and it looked like a R/P option :) ... that will give DCs fits

6 - for those complaining about Dak's deep game, my rap when drafted was his short touch, it's fixed :)

7 - Pollard finishes well, he brings serious play speed to an O that just didn't make enough big plays

8 - Cobb looked lackadaisical, just there, not sure how much of an upgrade he is at Z

9 - Austin will see quite a few snaps, like last year they'll throw to 8/+ targets every game

10 - it will be very hard to get this O off the field, which creates long ball opportunities

*this is a far better offense than faced the Rams in the playoffs*
If he actually had anything left the Packers would've kept him, but he doesn't and the Cowboys were the only ones who would offer him 5mil.

Dre11

Reaction score
That Cobb can in a way that Beasley couldn't.

People act like Cobb is some 4.3 guy. He's not. The conversation around him is exactly as it was about Deonte Thompson last year.

You'll see a better Cobb than in Green bay with the talent around him here. Beasely was best in short yardage. Cobb can do more just because he's bigger. You'll see.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
It’s going to take Cobb a while to get synced up with Dak, possibly half the season before he becomes a factor and that’s assuming he stays healthy..

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
1 - Frederick looks to be back, that means a clean pocket, and cut back lanes on the ground

2 - Williams had a pancake block to start the game, and stayed on his man each snap

3 - Su'a-Filo is ridiculously right handed and a far better RG than LG, looked comfortable

4 - the WRs are running better patterns under Sanjay, but are sloppy blockers vs the Dooley days

5 - the return of the lead draw and it looked like a R/P option :) ... that will give DCs fits

6 - for those complaining about Dak's deep game, my rap when drafted was his short touch, it's fixed :)

7 - Pollard finishes well, he brings serious play speed to an O that just didn't make enough big plays

8 - Cobb looked lackadaisical, just there, not sure how much of an upgrade he is at Z

9 - Austin will see quite a few snaps, like last year they'll throw to 8/+ targets every game

10 - it will be very hard to get this O off the field, which creates long ball opportunities

*this is a far better offense than faced the Rams in the playoffs*
The ball to Gallup was underthrown.

With the emergence of Cobb, Austin will not get 8 targets a game as the 4th receiver.

Let’s see the offense vs a 1st string D and with all the pieces together before making judgments.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
But you said he can’t do it but wouldn’t one play say he can?
Anyone can take one play to the house. So physically, can he, sure. But then so can Vance McDonald, Rod Smith and any of the other dozens of players who have had a long TD catch.

But like I said originally, he doesn't "stretch the field" in a way that Beasley can't. One play in 4 years doesn't change that. So yes, it is a myth that he's going to be a big play threat.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You'll see a better Cobb than in Green bay with the talent around him here. Beasely was best in short yardage. Cobb can do more just because he's bigger. You'll see.
Do more what? Fall forward for another yard? He's not better than Beasley at getting open and it's not like teams were dictating coverage to him because of the lack of other guys around him. He's going to get the exact same matchups.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Anyone can take one play to the house. So physically, can he, sure. But then so can Vance McDonald, Rod Smith and any of the other dozens of players who have had a long TD catch.

But like I said originally, he doesn't "stretch the field" in a way that Beasley can't. One play in 4 years doesn't change that. So yes, it is a myth that he's going to be a big play threat.
Well with all due respect.......anyone may can do it but I don't recall anyone on the Cowboys last year taking a pass 78 yards to the home. So yeah anyone probably can do it but I don't recall anyone even doing it ONCE last year for us.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I watch a lot of Packers games because I don't. But I do believe he offers much more after the pass than Beasley ever could. Doesn't mean he's better than Beasley just means he offers a few more things for us at slot than Beasley could.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Well with all due respect.......anyone may can do it but I don't recall anyone on the Cowboys last year taking a pass 78 yards to the home. So yeah anyone probably can do it but I don't recall anyone even doing it ONCE last year for us.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I watch a lot of Packers games because I don't. But I do believe he offers much more after the pass than Beasley ever could. Doesn't mean he's better than Beasley just means he offers a few more things for us at slot than Beasley could.
not that it matters, but Amari had a 90-yarder, Tavon had a 65-yarder that would have scored from anywhere. But the number itself is irrelevant. Whether it's 60 or 99 yards, the point is that it is 1 play. I mean, the catch and run on these plays aren't really that different:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...asley-explodes-for-HUGE-54-yard-catch-and-run

Cobb might be a little bit better after the catch - but not to the point that he's going to turn nothing into something, especially since he had so many catches of less than 10 yards last year - but he's simply not as good at getting open vs. man coverage. And, he's not explosive enough that teams are going to have to worry about him over the top. The catch and run last year was a complete anomaly, and his only catch of over 50 yards since 2015. Cobb is a possession guy, like Beasley, and expecting a bunch of explosive plays down the field is off, because he hasn't been that player in 5 years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
not that it matters, but Amari had a 90-yarder, Tavon had a 65-yarder that would have scored from anywhere. But the number itself is irrelevant. Whether it's 60 or 99 yards, the point is that it is 1 play. I mean, the catch and run on these plays aren't really that different:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-...asley-explodes-for-HUGE-54-yard-catch-and-run

Cobb might be a little bit better after the catch - but not to the point that he's going to turn nothing into something, especially since he had so many catches of less than 10 yards last year - but he's simply not as good at getting open vs. man coverage. And, he's not explosive enough that teams are going to have to worry about him over the top. The catch and run last year was a complete anomaly, and his only catch of over 50 yards since 2015. Cobb is a possession guy, like Beasley, and expecting a bunch of explosive plays down the field is off, because he hasn't been that player in 5 years.

You're right my mistake the Cooper pass. You are correct. Forgot that went for 90 yards.

I don't think anyone is expecting passes down the field to him just like we didn't Beasley. Look at this point we got Cobb for 5 million. We shipped out Beasley who was a malcontent, undersized and offered nothing outside of after catch. Now I believe that Beasley was paid all that money for a reason because he can get open and he is a quarterbacks best friend in that regard. So I'm not going to argue over who's the better player. But I do believe if healthy Cobb offers some things Beasley can't. Cobb isn't going to be a down the field threat at least I don't believe he is. We just need some of those players where its 3rd and 10 and he can reach out and get those extra yards from a 8 yard pass. This is all dependent on him being healthy. I don't buy he's out of his prime. He's too young to be there just yet but the injuries could've caught up with him. Have to take a wait and see approach. Either way......I think Pollard may get some reps out there to open things up underneath for these guys.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is literally the point I was disagreeing with....
Were guys saying that? I think he'll be more of a threat than Beasley in that regard but I don't expect that to be his role on this offense and it shouldn't be. And being he's only on a one year deal......he could very well get the Allen Hurns treatment if someone else steps and takes some reps from him.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Were guys saying that? I think he'll be more of a threat than Beasley in that regard but I don't expect that to be his role on this offense and it shouldn't be. And being he's only on a one year deal......he could very well get the Allen Hurns treatment if someone else steps and takes some reps from him.
It's literally the thing I quoted lol

Dre11

Reaction score
Do more what? Fall forward for another yard? He's not better than Beasley at getting open and it's not like teams were dictating coverage to him because of the lack of other guys around him. He's going to get the exact same

Beasley could only get open in space and was only good inside, anytime the field was condensed he struggled to get open. Cobb has played well from the outside and in. He not going to fall down when a tackler approaches him. He'll be open more than Beasley was just because of he size over Beasley and his experience. He'll be a bigger target for Dak, and can get down the field. Beasely is a 1 trick pony.