A movie franchise rescue?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good news, now if they could just get the originators of Alien and Predator to save those franchises.
In my opinion you should not wish too far from a serious perspective. I hoped for YEARS Ridley Scott would either remake or reimagine his classic Alien. He finally did with Prometheus (was that 2011 or 2012?). I was so underwhelmed by Prometheus that I boycotted Alien:Covenant, lol. Even so, I am a huge Sigourney Weaver fan and would love seeing her reprise the Ridley role. They must get around the Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection plotlines to make that happen if they are considering continuity though.

I am not so keen on seeing old Schwarzenegger reprising Dutch though (talk about double standards :laugh:on my part) for Predator. Aside from The Expendables casting, Schwarzeneggar almost reached my limit in Terminator:Genesis as far as continuing to be an action hero. Then again, who in the world can totally hate on Arnold? :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apparently, Ghostbusters 3 got green-lit and will be directed by the son of the main producer of the first two Ghostbusters. It's set to have the original (still living) cast to train a new team to pass the torch to. Even Bill Murray agreed to it. And it's ignoring the train wreck that was the 2016 reboot.

Not sure how I missed the thread until now but I would like to thank you personally. Now I cannot get Ray Parker Jr. outta my head! :mad::D

John813

Reaction score
In my opinion you should not wish too far from a serious perspective. I hoped for YEARS Ridley Scott would either remake or reimagine his classic Alien. He finally did with Prometheus (was that 2011 or 2012?). I was so underwhelmed by Prometheus that I boycotted Alien:Covenant, lol. Even so, I am a huge Sigourney Weaver fan and would love seeing her reprise the Ridley role. They must get around the Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection plotlines to make that happen if they are considering continuity though.

I am not so keen on seeing old Schwarzenegger reprising Dutch though (talk about double standards :laugh:on my part) for Predator. Aside from The Expendables casting, Schwarzeneggar almost reached my limit in Terminator:Genesis as far as continuing to be an action hero. Then again, who in the world can totally hate on Arnold? :p

I think the issue with Prometheus was the rewrites and rewrites for the film.
I wish they explored the Engineers and their world more.

nobody

Reaction score
Of the "recent" add-ons to older films, I think the most well-done one was The Thing, made as a prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing. They really worked hard to make sure the details matched the start of the original.

So that proves it's possible to add-on without taking away from a classic.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Apparently, Ghostbusters 3 got green-lit and will be directed by the son of the main producer of the first two Ghostbusters. It's set to have the original (still living) cast to train a new team to pass the torch to. Even Bill Murray agreed to it. And it's ignoring the train wreck that was the 2016 reboot.

Good.

Never send a woman to do a man’s job. :muttley:

No offense, but that all-women ensemble blew!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good.

Never send a woman to do a man’s job. :muttley:

No offense, but that all-women ensemble blew!

It was a terrible idea. They gave us a movie that nobody asked for, or wanted, and then got mad when nobody liked it and labeled people who didn't as sexist.

Directors always fail when they try to take someone else's original idea and do it their way. The Ghostbusters remake and Fantastuc Four reboot proved that.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Directors always fail when they try to take someone else's original idea and do it their way. The Ghostbusters remake and Fantastuc Four reboot proved that.
The FF reboot was almost a complete disaster but I do not think the more popular original movie and sequel never came close to reaching their potential either. I hope Marvel/Disney will eventually tackle the comic title down the road with the level of usual customary quality their core audiences have grown to expect. ~fingers tightly crossed~

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The FF reboot was almost a complete disaster but I do not think the more popular original movie and sequel never came close to reaching their potential either. I hope Marvel/Disney will eventually tackle the comic title down the road with the level of usual customary quality their core audiences have grown to expect. ~fingers tightly crossed~

Same here. And as much of a Marvel fanatic as I am, I have intentionally never bothered to watch the disaster that is Josh Trank's Fantastic Four. Like the recent Ghostbusters film, I find the very idea to be offensive. If as a director, you want to do everything your way, do everything your way. That means don't take someone else's idea and reimagine or recycle it as your own, the way you think it should be done. It's arrogant and quite frankly preposterous. You're not creative enough to come up with your own idea but you want to take someone else's and alter it to look the way you think it should be? I'll root for those people to fail every time.

As for the future of the FF? I can't help but to have confidence that Marvel will do them right whenever they get to it.

I have a lot of questions as to what the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe will look like after Avengers Endgame. In the past, they had a well thought out and announced plan so we knew what to expect. At this point, there are a lot of rumors and things expected, but not much officially announced. And the soon-to-be-completed Fox acquisition will undoubtedly be a huge factor.

I'm expecting them to say goodbye to most of the Phase 1 characters and Avengers, at least for the time being in significant roles, but after that, I'm not sure what to expect. Could be Namor? Could be the Fantastic Four? Could be a total focus on the X-Men?

A lot of unknowns.

nobody

Reaction score
Same here. And as much of a Marvel fanatic as I am, I have intentionally never bothered to watch the disaster that is Josh Trank's Fantastic Four. Like the recent Ghostbusters film, I find the very idea to be offensive. If as a director, you want to do everything your way, do everything your way. That means don't take someone else's idea and reimagine or recycle it as your own, the way you think it should be done. It's arrogant and quite frankly preposterous. You're not creative enough to come up with your own idea but you want to take someone else's and alter it to look the way you think it should be? I'll root for those people to fail every time.

As for the future of the FF? I can't help but to have confidence that Marvel will do them right whenever they get to it.

I have a lot of questions as to what the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe will look like after Avengers Endgame. In the past, they had a well thought out and announced plan so we knew what to expect. At this point, there are a lot of rumors and things expected, but not much officially announced. And the soon-to-be-completed Fox acquisition will undoubtedly be a huge factor.

I'm expecting them to say goodbye to most of the Phase 1 characters and Avengers, at least for the time being in significant roles, but after that, I'm not sure what to expect. Could be Namor? Could be the Fantastic Four? Could be a total focus on the X-Men?

A lot of unknowns.

I think after Avengers Endgame that people will start to show Superhero fatigue and the movies won't do as well...at least for a while. (with the exception of certain ones, like Spider-man Far from Home and Black Panther 2)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think after Avengers Endgame that people will start to show Superhero fatigue and the movies won't do as well...at least for a while. (with the exception of certain ones, like Spider-man Far from Home and Black Panther 2)
I think putting out more comedic movies in between, like Guardians, Ant Man and Spiderman will keep the Marvel movies fresh longer than most genres would be.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't see that coming, not unless the current quality of film-making drops. While they might not be the $2 billion dollar epics that Endgame will be, they will still earn very good money for the studio. Infinity War and Endgame are huge ensemble films and must-see for fans of any of the individual characters. After that, there is bound to be some drop-off for individual films on a smaller scale.

Now granted, there are a few projects I've heard rumored like Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and the Eternals that I don't expect to be huge hits, but I'm not worried about superhero fatigue setting in anytime soon.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
It was a terrible idea. They gave us a movie that nobody asked for, or wanted, and then got mad when nobody liked it and labeled people who didn't as sexist.

Yeah,it just wasn’t funny. It was bad writing and forced casted on you. Just a bad movie. I don’t understand why a producer would even put together a piece of garbage like those? They have to know sitting there watching the dailies it sucks,and will bomb.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think putting out more comedic movies in between, like Guardians, Ant Man and Spiderman will keep the Marvel movies fresh longer than most genres would be.

I agree, and added diversity in characters and tone will help as well. I've long felt that Black Widow and Hawkeye could have a fine movie of their own that partially followed a formula like the Bourne series established. They were exciting, dramatic, suspenseful, and action-packed without having to go galactic and superhero levels.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah,it just wasn’t funny. It was bad writing and forced casted on you. Just a bad movie. I don’t understand why a producer would even put together a piece of garbage like those? They have to know sitting there watching the dailies it sucks,and will bomb.

You would have to think, but it bothers me to no end that the people involved try to paint themselves as "victims" of a mean-spirited world, when the fact is that you simply made a bad movie that nobody wanted. Accept that and move on.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
You would have to think, but it bothers me to no end that the people involved try to paint themselves as "victims" of a mean-spirited world, when the fact is that you simply made a bad movie that nobody wanted. Accept that and move on.
Well it’s not sexist,and people just like good humor. Like anyone cares if it’s girls or guys. Loooool. Makes no difference to people.funny is funny,and stink is stink.

nobody

Reaction score
I don't see that coming, not unless the current quality of film-making drops. While they might not be the $2 billion dollar epics that Endgame will be, they will still earn very good money for the studio. Infinity War and Endgame are huge ensemble films and must-see for fans of any of the individual characters. After that, there is bound to be some drop-off for individual films on a smaller scale.

Now granted, there are a few projects I've heard rumored like Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and the Eternals that I don't expect to be huge hits, but I'm not worried about superhero fatigue setting in anytime soon.

I hope you're right, but I've heard many people talking about wishing they'd take a break with them in various conversations not online.

nobody

Reaction score

That's what makes me excited about Shazam and Spider-man (and of course Ant-man and Guardians, if they do any more.) They swear up and down that Guardians 3 is still a go, but it's on hold indefinitely at the moment.