A movie franchise rescue?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True. Dark Phoenix would be Fassbender's fourth mutant film but it would be only two movies more than Evans' pre-Steve Rogers appearances. And audiences may develop a bit of amnesia depending on whether DP does not enjoy any relative success.

I like Krasinski. Just cannot picture him as Richards. However, he might blast me away with his portrayal lol. Who knows? Selfishly, I want Richards' character back on the big screen and finally wow audiences with an unmatched intellect like Stark's did. Here's hoping.

Oh, in my opinion, Richards' intellect should surpass Stark's. But I want to see a guy who is so smart that he's socially awkward and a bit naive at the same time. That's the Reed Richards I know and love. Stark is a bit "too cool" despite being a genius. Richards is a brilliant nerd. Big Bang Theory nerd, without quite so much comedy.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You are riling my comic book nerd side saying Avengers 'characters with superpowers'. :p Technically, Tony Stark does not have superpowers and he has three independent films to his credit.
True, but he, like Batman has extreme intelligence, a costume and weapons that simulate superpowers.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Oh, in my opinion, Richards' intellect should surpass Stark's. But I want to see a guy who is so smart that he's socially awkward and a bit naive at the same time. That's the Reed Richards I know and love. Stark is a bit "too cool" despite being a genius. Richards is a brilliant nerd. Big Bang Theory nerd, without quite so much comedy.
So more like Bruce Banner.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there was definitely some sexism going on in the past, it's undeniable. But, people have also tried and failed for years to have female-led film projects. For every one Ripley and Alien there were 20 Halle Berry and Catwoman. Thankfully, however we look to be moving past that past ignorance and discrimination and it's now about great characters and great stories, regardless of gender.

Wonder Woman was a big hit, and I expect Captain Marvel to be as well, as well as the eventual Black Widow film. Good films are good films, bad films are bad films.
I think a significant number of folks would agree Catwoman was D.O.A. The filmmakers would not even attribute the Selina Kyle character to Catwoman. Instead they went with Patience Phillips. Who the heck is Patience Phillips. Catwoman was lucky it had Halle Berry with the way it went off-track from the character's comics legacy. It could have easily ended up being worse than FF. :(

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but he, like Batman has extreme intelligence, a costume and weapons that simulate superpowers.
Widow has stingers, which she has not had that much screen time demonstrating. Not the same as repulsors and she does not fly but there is not much difference between the two characters.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think a significant number of folks would agree Catwoman was D.O.A. The filmmakers would not even attribute the Selina Kyle character to Catwoman. Instead they went with Patience Phillips. Who the heck is Patience Phillips. Catwoman was lucky it had Halle Berry with the way it went off-track from the character's comics legacy. It could have easily ended up being worse than FF. :(
An I the only one who hated Anne Hathaway as Catwoman?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Widow has stingers, which she has not had that much screen time demonstrating. Not the same as repulsors and she does not fly but there is not much difference between the two characters.
Don't get me wrong, I love her and want to see her in her own film.

Another possibility is that they figured non-comic book nerds, like myself wouldn't be very familiar with her character, like they would with Hulk, Thor, and Iron Man.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Wasn't it?
:huh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Admittedly I may be behind the times as far as how Richard's character is currently portrayed in the comics. He was not socially awkward or naïve before the mid-90's when I stopped buying titles regularly. That persona was 'adopted' for the big screen in the movie versions. Or so I thought. Maybe I am wrong but Richard used to be supremely brilliant and confident in the books--sometimes arrogantly so in Victor's opinion.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn't it?
:huh:
My answer to the one single factor that elevates Catwoman above FF--even if the difference makes the movie only a tad better:

Please click the link. I will not be embedding this gif on CowboysZone. :)

EDIT: Or click the "Open in new window" link (grumble grumble)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Admittedly I may be behind the times as far as how Richard's character is currently portrayed in the comics. He was not socially awkward or naïve before the mid-90's when I stopped buying titles regularly. That persona was 'adopted' for the big screen in the movie versions. Or so I thought. Maybe I am wrong but Richard used to be supremely brilliant and confident in the books--sometimes arrogantly so in Victor's opinion.

Oh no, he was, in some ways. But then he showed that "book smart", lacking in common sense aspect in his character as well. Specifically in his interactions with his wife and Ben and Johnny.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My answer to the one single factor that elevates Catwoman above FF--even if the difference makes the movie only a tad better:

Please click the link. I will not be embedding this gif on CowboysZone. :)

EDIT: Or click the "Open in new window" link (grumble grumble)

OK, I'm getting nothing from this (other than frustrated! :angry:)

Point me to a link that will work!
;)