CFZ A Possible Explanation of Why Dak Played Jekyll and Hyde (and Hope I Find)

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Consider the case of two quarterbacks...

Exhibit A: Dak "2022 Jekyll" Prescott...124-164, 76% completion rate, 8.9 YPA, 1,463 Yards, 11 TDs, 3 INT...117.0 Quarterback Rating
Exhibit B: Dak "2022 Hyde" Prescott...121-202, 1,256 Yards, 10 TDs, 11 INT...71.7 Quarterback Rating

The Jekyll numbers would have beaten out Mahomes, Allen, Burrows...every QB in the game, and by no small margin. Exhibit B is Hyde/Zach Wilson territory.

WTH, you ask? Is T-Ro cherry picking games, trying some sleight-of-hand deception?

Permit me to explain:
Exhibit A is the "Jekyll" version of Prescott, the totality of stats when Dak was throwing to Lamb, Pollard, Ferguson, and Hilton.
Exhibit B is Dak and his "Hyde" production, the complete stats when DP threw to Schultz, Gallup, Brown, & Elliott.

I didn't bother to tally the small contributions made by other receivers with few targets.

I've got more to say (of course) but I'll pause for everyone to digest this much...and share thoughts.
Interesting stuff

sandbridge77

Reaction score
Some of them are for the end of 2022, some of them project to 2023 based on 2022 and changes you’ve made to your line. Which is losing Peters who played pretty well and Smith coming back, when he was already back at the end of 2022.

Little bit different than citing Statmuse randomly listing Dallas 21st based on nothing in particular
The nerve of you using stats to dispute Americas Cowboy’s eye test!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The Oline stunk in pass protection. That's a fact. It's on tape. The run blocking was good but inconsistent, hence why this Oline got ranked in the late teens to early 20s. That's the main reason Philbin was finally fired. The Oline got worse, not better, during the past 3 years since Philbin became Oline coach. Now he's rightfully gone. Are you saying Philbin shouldn't have been fired and that the Oline is actually better?
Who has them ranked in the 20’s? Again, that Statmuse site you cited is not a ranking, just a randomly sorted list of teams

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
What are you watching? It's clear as day how Tyron Smith got bullrushed right into Dak a split second before Dak got the pass off to Michael Gallup, thus why the pass was thrown behind Gallup. On the next play where you mentioned Ty Hilton, you failed to notice there was a DB within arm's reach right behind him and closing in. A forced throw to Hilton would have led to either the pass being batted down or even worse...intercepted.
...and there we have it, you'll just make up subjective excuses for anything.
1) If the Tyron hit had put off the throw it would have effected of pushed his arm to miss into the center of the field, not behind.
2) The DB doesn't appear until Dak's on the floor, plenty of time to get the balk away.... not that Dak appears to notice TY's there.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The more I look at this the more I realize that all it says is Dak was better when he threw it to the two best players. Pretty sure this analysis would hold true for any QB. Honestly looking for help for what conclusions I am supposed to draw from all of this. Again I appreciate the work and think it is interesting. Color me confused.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Pretty obvious to most who are NOT hater/trolls, it wasn't just his targets,
the OL injured and shuffled wasn't doing their job, run game suffered, and play calling in the bigger games.

CWR

Reaction score
I've watched you a bit this year and learned some things. Whether the topic is Mazi Smith, Dak, Jalyn Hyatt, or Maryann-Ginger...You hold your opinions with zero doubt, and zero openness to consideration. And you eagerly scrap together a few fragments of *potential evidence* and view it as supreme triumph.

"End of story. Game over." Really? What an Interesting comment. Or better described in Monty Python, "What an idiosyncratic performance."

Your posts repeatedly remind me of something my dad used to say of my mother, "She's sometimes right. She's sometimes wrong. But she's never in doubt." My mother had her virtues, but she could lock in with a vice-opinion in half a second with just a tea-spoon of information.

So here's the thing: I'm open to considering that Dak's inconsistencies are a true thing, a concerning thing, perhaps even a fatal flaw. I'm willing to consider it.

But you haven't even provided a good opening statement to the jury. You've belched. Care to try again?

Lol, you hit him with an unbiased, open minded, well thought out response, and he's gone. Be careful posting fair and logical replies you will be disappointed in how few engage.

Mr_437

Reaction score
More Stats and Excuses!
Dak made poor decisions, and threw some bad, inaccurate passes last season. Having said that, I'm willing to not judge Dak before I see him with proven OCs like he has now.

I think Dak will have a much better season, and I look for him to play very well.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Pretty obvious to most who are NOT hater/trolls, it wasn't just his targets,
the OL injured and shuffled wasn't doing their job, run game suffered, and play calling in the bigger games.
Nobody denies any of what you say, but none of that changes the fact that Dak wasnt able to step up his game when the pressure was on.....as mentioned above lets hope the change of OC and pass-caller will help put it right.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
More Stats and Excuses!
Dak made poor decisions, and threw some bad, inaccurate passes last season. Having said that, I'm willing to not judge Dak before I see him with proven OCs like he has now.

I think Dak will have a much better season, and I look for him to play very well.
Brian Shotty is a proven OC? :huh:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I've watched you a bit this year and learned some things. Whether the topic is Mazi Smith, Dak, Jalyn Hyatt, or Maryann-Ginger...You hold your opinions with zero doubt, and zero openness to consideration. And you eagerly scrap together a few fragments of *potential evidence* and view it as supreme triumph.

"End of story. Game over." Really? What an Interesting comment. Or better described in Monty Python, "What an idiosyncratic performance."

Your posts repeatedly remind me of something my dad used to say of my mother, "She's sometimes right. She's sometimes wrong. But she's never in doubt." My mother had her virtues, but she could lock in with a vice-opinion in half a second with just a tea-spoon of information.

So here's the thing: I'm open to considering that Dak's inconsistencies are a true thing, a concerning thing, perhaps even a fatal flaw. I'm willing to consider it.

But you haven't even provided a good opening statement to the jury. You've belched. Care to try again?
Damn you read the hell out of him and 100 percent accurate.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That first link is misleading. Statmuse, unless it has a simple, specific stat to track, will just list teams. It’s a little bit of a faulty site. Notice how it’s not ranking them by any noted metric.

Here are some other ones:

ESPN has Dallas 6th

PFN has Dallas 5th
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/best-offensive-lines-nfl-rankings/amp/

FTN has them 8th
https://www.ftnfantasy.com/articles/FTN/50012/nfl-offensive-line-rankings

PFF has them 6th
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-unit-rankings-tiers-2022

TGD has them 9th
https://thegameday.com/nfl/power-rankings/ol/

Lineups has them 5th
https://www.lineups.com/articles/nfl-offensive-line-rankings

While I don’t dispute Dallas had issues on the Oline, so did many teams last year. A big reason why Philly and Dallas had such ballooned sack values. But the Cowboys finished the season right around where their Oline was rated as being (roughly 7th best team in the league, lost in divisional round).

Is this pass protection or just overall line play? I think most think the pass protection is what was lacking.

Because of Martin and Tyron they will always make top 10 lists.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
These arguments get a little bit tired after awhile, though the posters engaged in them can be entertaining at times.

So here's what we've got:

Dak needs help at all positions in order to be the best Dak he can be.
Uh, okay. Can't that be said about EVERY quarterback? So, what does that actually say about Dak?
We know that there are only a few quarterbacks who can excel given minimal talent. And it's very hard to find those guys.
So, do we jettison Dak in search of finding that pot at the end of the rainbow, which may take forever to find?

On the other hand, let's say Dak is a bus driver. Okay, we've established that. Is he going anywhere for the foreseeable future?
No.
So if he's not going anywhere, what do we do?
Uh, put more talent around him so he can take us where we want to go?
Doesn't/wouldn't every team do that?

I have my opinions about Dak, but he's not going anywhere. We have his body of work (whether we support it or reject it). Nothing's going to change right now.
A new season is coming, in which he can silence his doubters or supporters.
I prefer to resume my praise/criticism of Dak during the season when real-time performance matters and gives us fresher material..

Having said that, carry on!

Mr_437

Reaction score
Brian Shotty is a proven OC? :huh:
Schotty has more experience than KM. Also, when you add in McCarthy I think less confusion and clear communication of the scheme will be beneficial. It doesn't sound like McCarthy had much input before.

RS12

Reaction score
How bout a break down middle of the field throws vs outside the hash marks? I think that would be more interesting.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Consider the case of two quarterbacks...

Exhibit A: Dak "2022 Jekyll" Prescott...124-164, 76% completion rate, 8.9 YPA, 1,463 Yards, 11 TDs, 3 INT...117.0 Quarterback Rating
Exhibit B: Dak "2022 Hyde" Prescott...121-202, 1,256 Yards, 10 TDs, 11 INT...71.7 Quarterback Rating

The Jekyll numbers would have beaten out Mahomes, Allen, Burrows...every QB in the game, and by no small margin. Exhibit B is Hyde/Zach Wilson territory.

WTH, you ask? Is T-Ro cherry picking games, trying some sleight-of-hand deception?

Permit me to explain:
Exhibit A is the "Jekyll" version of Prescott, the totality of stats when Dak was throwing to Lamb, Pollard, Ferguson, and Hilton.
Exhibit B is Dak and his "Hyde" production, the complete stats when DP threw to Schultz, Gallup, Brown, & Elliott.

I didn't bother to tally the small contributions made by other receivers with few targets.

I've got more to say (of course) but I'll pause for everyone to digest this much...and share thoughts.
Passes to Elliott belong in the Good Dak group: 75% completion rate with 0 interceptions.