A reminder that Dak can play QB

Tristan

Reaction score
We don't know what Dak is yet. Just like you wouldn't have known what Drew Brees was after seeing him play 2 years. Do you think SD would have let him walk if they knew he was going to turn out the way he did? I doubt it.
U convienently left out the shoulder injury that caused sd to let him go, some doctors were convinced he would not recover and he was considered small and fragile already. Couple that with SD having the top pick in a draft with three big strong tall franchise qb's (Manning, Rivers, Rothlisburger) . Those are the reasons SD let brees go.

But I agree that SD wouldnt have let him walk if they "knew" what he was going to be obviously. They couldve drafted Fitzgerald for him too!

Zman5

Reaction score
U convienently left out the shoulder injury that caused sd to let him go, some doctors were convinced he would not recover and he was considered small and fragile already. Couple that with SD having the top pick in a draft with three big strong tall franchise qb's (Manning, Rivers, Rothlisburger) . Those are the reasons SD let brees go.

But I agree that SD wouldnt have let him walk if they "knew" what he was going to be obviously. They couldve drafted Fitzgerald for him too!

My point was the 2 years he did play before the injury, his numbers were just average. Based on those numbers, he wasn't anything special. Even with the injury, had he played like he is now , they would have tried to keep him.

You can't really judge a QB with only 2 years of playing time. Unless he is really bad.

Tristan

Reaction score
He may have limited passing ability but he's still above average at the position.

Again.. Average is Blake Bortles. He's way better then Blake Bortles.

He's play a lot more good games then he has bad games.

Dak can run a bad offensive scheme at a high level. Especially when Zeke is going. We were a machine in 2016 and at points this year Dak was playing at a elite level.

If we want to hit our guys out wide more then we need an offensive scheme that doesn't pigeon hole our WR's.

Dak is not a good come from behind QB. He's not going to win a lot of games if he gets in a QB duel but so many of these "top QB's" like Big Ben and Russell Wilson have relied on a strong run game and a incredible defense. Dak can play at their level in that situation.

Is he Rodgers? No

Brady? No

He's not that level of passer but few guys are.

Someone like Derek Carr who has the talent still can't manage to get results like Dak.

Winston? He's got a lot of talent but he can't play at Daks level.

Kirk Cousins? Would you take Cousins over Dak? Has Cousins ever beat Dak?

I just don't get the Dak hate.

Atlanta our coaches blew it.

Denver our defense put him in a situation that he isn't ready for.

He's still a 24 year old QB and who is off to one of the best starts in NFL history at his position.
So how did dak storm back against the great Rodgers last year in the playoffs had a game winning drive in hand if they just kept handing it to zeke, he sure looked great at coming back from a large hole against gb and "outduled" Rodgers in the playoffs. Rodgers was sailing balls over open wrs too but that doesnt make him "innacurate" just not perfect, it happens to errybody.

The obvious thing to me is wrs rarely eve open anywher, if u rewatch the games its the worst offensive scheme ive ever seen, a wr will litterally run left wher to dbs are waiting while the right was wide open field?!?

Dak doesnt like to force throws he has this halfway throway thing he does if hes not comfortable w the separation that looks like a bad pass.

now he does throw bad passes here and there but hes shown he can make great, great throws from the pocket w pressure and on the run.
My point was the 2 years he did play before the injury, his numbers were just average. Based on those numbers, he wasn't anything special. Even with the injury, had he played like he is now , they would have tried to keep him.

You can't really judge a QB with only 2 years of playing time. Unless he is really bad.
he was amazing at purdue as well though.
I would say Ive seen enough of Wentz to "judge" that he is and will be bigtime "with only 2 years of playing time"

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So how did dak storm back against the great Rodgers last year in the playoffs had a game winning drive in hand if they just kept handing it to zeke, he sure looked great at coming back from a large hole against gb and "outduled" Rodgers in the playoffs. Rodgers was sailing balls over open wrs too but that doesnt make him "innacurate" just not perfect, it happens to errybody.

The obvious thing to me is wrs rarely eve open anywher, if u rewatch the games its the worst offensive scheme ive ever seen, a wr will litterally run left wher to dbs are waiting while the right was wide open field?!?

Dak doesnt like to force throws he has this halfway throway thing he does if hes not comfortable w the separation that looks like a bad pass.

now he does throw bad passes here and there but hes shown he can make great, great throws from the pocket w pressure and on the run.

I would say Ive seen enough of Wentz to "judge" that he is and will be bigtime "with only 2 years of playing time"

Hey i'm right there with you.

Even though he came back against GB I still don't think he wants to be caught in a shootout with any QB.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Dak was great last year. Anyone who says differently I don't take seriously.

perrykemp

Reaction score

Dez played well against GB in the playoffs, however, I think the perception of his performance in that game was skewed by the following:
  1. Zeke was destroying the Packers -- he ran for 125 games and clearly the Packers were doing everything they humanly could to stop the run INCLUDING
  2. The Packers put a undrafted free-agent CB, Gunter on Dez in man coverage, who started the season as the Packers CB5 -- but was pressed into duty as their CB1 due to injuries. Dez destroyed Gunter
  3. The Packer's pass defense was ranked 31st in the NFL that season. It was wretched.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When we say wasted their career I think it’s a little shortsighted to say that. I understand we’re associating that to winning championships but it shouldn’t lessen their careers. To me HOF is a greater recognition of talent than being on a championship team .

I certainly don’t lessen Earl Campbell’s or Eric Dickerson career , how about Fran Tarkenton or Dan Fouts because they never played on a team that won a championship .

This is a new era for Cowboy fans. We’ve never had to associate greatness without attaching them to winning championships.

Tristan

Reaction score
A franchise QB whose career we wasted.
Interesting opinion, I happen to disagree, Romo was a heck of a qb like alex smith, but to me thats it, mr almost who had a knack for repeatedly ending promising seasons w pick sixes on first downs when given a chance to win the game on the last srive or so.

I disagree w Risen on Dak, but I can relate to how he feels.

I felt from the begining that Romo would never lead us to a championship I just felt he would be good like he was, and I resented him a bit for the fact that his emergence that year kept us from going hard and heavy for Drew Breese and/or drafting Aaron Rodgers, both whom I felt did have a chance to be champions.

I do think Romo improved greatly when he gave up golf, got paid and focused on football.

I do think in the end he proved me wrong, and for the last 3 years or so was a QB capable of winning a sb, by then unfortunately he was not physically reliable at all so in the long run a pretty dissapointing decade for me as a fan expecting to win playoff games and compete for the ring every year.

I fully expected Romo to lead us to the superbowl and throw that pass that Russell Wilson threw to malcom butler to lose the sb and walk off one more tome with that all to framiliar "awe shux" look

Zman5

Reaction score

Wenz hasn't shown what he can do in a playoff game yet to know if he really is bigtime. Playoff games are totally different animal.

Because of having a great defense, I also haven't seen him playing from behind and brining his team back.
Can he handle the pressure? Maybe. Maybe not. But until I see more of that, I really can't say he is bigtime.

Last edited:

Tristan

Reaction score
Wenz hasn't shown what he can do in a playoff game yet to know if he really is bigtime. Playoff games are totally different animal.

Because of having a great defense, I also haven't seen him playing from behind and brining his team back.
Can he handle the pressure? Maybe. Maybe not. But until I see more of that, I really can't say he is bigtime.
Id also say by the end of russell wilsons second year that you knew you had a champion caliber qb

Zman5

Reaction score
Id also say by the end of russell wilsons second year that you onew you had a champion caliber qb

People said that about RG3 and Kaepernick too.. As I said, it's hard to judge a QB with just 2 years of play unless they just suck.

Next year is make or break year for Dak. We'll have a better idea if he is more like Wilson or Kaepernick next year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When we say wasted their career I think it’s a little shortsighted to say that. I understand we’re associating that to winning championships but it shouldn’t lessen their careers. To me HOF is a greater recognition of talent than being on a championship team .

I certainly don’t lessen Earl Campbell’s or Eric Dickerson career , how about Fran Tarkenton or Dan Fouts because they never played on a team that won a championship .

This is a new era for Cowboy fans. We’ve never had to associate greatness without attaching them to winning championships.

Romo will not get into the HOF because we wasted his career. Eli Manning, a player that Tony Romo is way better than, will go into the HOF because NYG didn't waste.

Tristan

Reaction score
People said that about RG3 and Kaepernick too.. As I said, it's hard to judge a QB with just 2 years of play unless they just suck.

Next year is make or break year for Dak. We'll have a better idea if he is more like Wilson or Kaepernick next year.
I agree overall w most players u cant make a dudgement to early. I also think some people judge wrong and cant tell whats what, but just because a couple guys flashed and busted doesnt hurt my ability recognize a true baller in a year or two, most great qb's show u enough within theyre first 20 games or so, there are abberations but theres several players im sold on in less than 2 years of games on tape, especially if they excelled in college ie Watson

Recently......
Wilson
Dak
Wentz
Goff
Watson
Garapalo
Luck

Other positions....
Jalen Ramsey
Zeke
Tyrek Hill
Joey Bosa
Zach Martin
Marcus Peters
.....To name a few

JustChip

Reaction score
Romo will not get into the HOF because we wasted his career. Eli Manning, a player that Tony Romo is way better than, will go into the HOF because NYG didn't waste.

I wouldn't say Romo is better or worse than Eli. Eli has one advantage - his durability. Some of that durability is due to his ability to avoid the big hit. Tony's style of play invited that, but the style also contributed to whatever success he had.

I do believe and have said it numerous times, that if you switched Eli and Tony, Tony would've won a SB with the Giants and Eli probably not with the Cowboys.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Hey, doesn't Bortles, Foles and Keenum prove anything to you guys? Who needs a top end QB? Of course they may get embarrassed by the GOAT and a HC with SB experience, who knows. Maybe it's all defense. Maybe it's the scheme. Maybe it's the HC, the WR's, the O-line,the game plan, the OC and the DC. Maybe it was on Romo. He just didn't have the lucky charm of Bortles, Foles and Keenum. Advice to Dak, eat your lucky charms

Zman5

Reaction score
I agree overall w most players u cant make a dudgement to early. I also think some people judge wrong and cant tell whats what, but just because a couple guys flashed and busted doesnt hurt my ability recognize a true baller in a year or two, most great qb's show u enough within theyre first 20 games or so, there are abberations but theres several players im sold on in less than 2 years of games on tape, especially if they excelled in college ie Watson

Recently......
Wilson
Dak
Wentz
Goff
Watson
Garapalo
Luck

Other positions....
Jalen Ramsey
Zeke
Tyrek Hill
Joey Bosa
Zach Martin
Marcus Peters
.....To name a few

For most positions, I follow the 3 year rule as long as they don't suck the first 2 years and has shown some flashes. For RBs, you can tell immediately. For QBs, it could take little longer.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s merely an opinion . I’d argue Romo needed more than 7 full seasons of stats to get into the HOF even with a championship. While he set Cowboy marks he didn’t in the league. I wouldn’t have inducted Romo even with a championship . And I don’t believe Eli is lock for the HOF at this point.