A reminder that Dak can play QB

DHCBF66

Reaction score
I am going to give Dak another season. The loss of Leary and Tyron being hurt did not help. The o-line was not near as good this year as it was the previous season. We need a LG and we need Tyron to stay healthy. Losing Zeke for 6 games hurt. At minimum he was worth 2 more wins this season which would have landed us in the playoffs.

rpntex

Reaction score
I just want some of the stuff you are on.

If you ever watched Staubach and Aikman you would know greatness. Danny White was better than Romo also. Yeah, I am thankful the misery Romo delivered every season is over. I was excited when he took over. But after few season of zero championships and zero SuperBowls I knew he was the problem. I wanted him to be great but he wasn't. I appreciate his effort but I am thankful for Dak.

Every day

I've seen every Dallas Cowboys QB going all the way back to Eddie LeBaron. While I agree that Aikman, Staubach, etc., were "greatness", you're flat off your rocker in your opinion of Romo, especially as he compares to Danny White. Personally, I think Danny was an outstanding QB, but Romo was better. With the exception of his last couple of years, Romo never had the supporting cast that White enjoyed. Until Murray came along, Romo didn't have a RB the caliber of Dorsett or Hershel Walker. He had a great WR in TO, whereas White had Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Butch Johnson, and the best pass-catching RB in the NFL in Preston Pearson. And we haven't even talked about defense yet. White didn't lead Dallas to three straight NFC title games on his own.

Romo had three teams finish 8-8 that were similar in talent to the Cowboys of the late 80's. The last two season White started saw the Cowboys go 7-9 and 7-8-0.

Darthkuriboh

Reaction score
Different positions, different coaches. Wilson needed to go after Dak's performance this past season. He's young and needs good coaching. Even though I think Romo would of been ideal for the position, Moore may just surprise us.

I'm willing to give moore a chance as a QB coach. It's always been said he has the brain for the job and knowledge of football and x's and o's that would rival most OC's... let's see if he can help Dak.

Darthkuriboh

Reaction score
Different positions, different coaches. Wilson needed to go after Dak's performance this past season. He's young and needs good coaching. Even though I think Romo would of been ideal for the position, Moore may just surprise us.

If that's how you see it, you needed to say eh was the best QB the Cowboys have drafted in the last 5 years. saying he's the best pick in the last 5 years period can be easily disproven

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I will respectfully disagree. According to the NFL Next Gen stats, Alfred Morris ran against a stacked box at a higher percentage of his runs (~38%) compared to Zeke (~35%).

I was surprised there were so many RBs in the league that faced stacked boxes more than Zeke.

Below is the link:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#yards

8 defenders is not what should be looked at. The number of defenders compared to blockers is what is important. 7 defenders against 5 blockers is different than 8 defenders against 8 blockers. Obviously, if a team goes 3 wide spread out, teams aren't going to put 8 in the box. It doesn't mean they aren't stacked against the run though.

Verdict

Reaction score
I am thankful everyday that Dak is my QB. I am thankful that the Romo chapter is over. His interceptions and his inability to get and win a Superbowl grew tiresome.

I am enjoying the Dak narrative and look forward to the prospect of Dak giving the franchise and fan base a ring. The future looks bright.

Thank you Dak.

I will be thankful when the cut Dez and Witten.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Some of you have convinced yourselves that Dak is just an awful QB.

It’s idiots that have convinced themselves of that. They convince themselves of a lot of things that aren’t true.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Poor mechanics
No arm talent
No accuracy
Poor pocket presence

Did you actually watch the videos that he posted? If you do, you will not see the QB you are describing. You will see a guy throwing accurate passes in traffic, down the field, etc.

In my opinion Dak came into this year looking less accurate. He needs to spend the off season really working on his footwork and throwing, but watch the videos. He was much more accurate last year. The question is what caused him to lose that accuracy from last year? That is where a really good coach needs to help him break down his mechanics and do a ton of reps this off season to get it to be natural again.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
8 defenders is not what should be looked at. The number of defenders compared to blockers is what is important. 7 defenders against 5 blockers is different than 8 defenders against 8 blockers. Obviously, if a team goes 3 wide spread out, teams aren't going to put 8 in the box. It doesn't mean they aren't stacked against the run though.
Fair point. Is there any objective data that compares defenses vs blockers besides the untrustworthy eye ball test?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Why in the world would defenses stack the box for Alfred Morris? Makes no sense.

Great question. I will answer with a question of my own. Our passing game wasn’t great, the running game was still the strength of the team, we kept running the same offense, and we still had a former 1,000 yard rusher in the bsckfield. Question is, why wouldn’t they still focus on our stopping the running game just because Zeke is out?

It’s like back in 2015 when people were claiming DMC didn’t scare the defense so he was able to rush for a lot of yards and I am thinking, “did Weeden, Cassel, and Moore scare the defense into getting all the attention?”

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Yeah I mean. I guess I’m a homer but I keep watching Prescott over and over and over and I just don’t see the arm talent/accuracy/footwork arguments that everyone else does. I compare him to other QBs for a side by side and I just can’t see what other QBs do that Prescott hasn’t.

He’s had a bad year after Smith and Zeke went out but all things considered he’s done a fine job for a second year QB and is clearly a leader of men out there.

Are Titans fans jumping ship on Mariota? Raiders fans with Carr? Winston? All guys with supposed better intangibles that have played worse football with arguably better offensive talent.
It's not just that it's also listening to former players talk about Dak. Many clearly talk about he is nothing more than an average QB when the chips are down. Good kid he just doesn't have the it factor to carry a team on his shoulders. He needs everything to be working in order to excel. As you point out the eye shows you the facts.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Did you actually watch the videos that he posted? If you do, you will not see the QB you are describing. You will see a guy throwing accurate passes in traffic, down the field, etc.

In my opinion Dak came into this year looking less accurate. He needs to spend the off season really working on his footwork and throwing, but watch the videos. He was much more accurate last year. The question is what caused him to lose that accuracy from last year? That is where a really good coach needs to help him break down his mechanics and do a ton of reps this off season to get it to be natural again.
Did you watch the last 8 games of this season?

Everything I described, was the knock on him coming in to the league. Read his scouting report.

The dude sucks...

condoin125

Reaction score
I would take a hard look at Josh Allen if he somehow falls to us.

I have no interest in Mayfield and I need to watch more of Darnold but him leaving school that early is a huge red flag.
I've been big on taking Allen as he compared to Wentz a lot....only difference is that Wentz was much more polished coming out. PFF did bring some doubts into my mind though about his accuracy issues...he's got a fantastic arm but he's definitely lacking consistency in the accuracy department.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Thanks for post.........Said many times, and sticking to it. Most of Dak critics are frustrated fans frustrated with how Romo career ended. They will always blame Garrett and Dak.........

Not me. I was never enamored with Romo and I am a Dak critic.

At least Romo, with all his choking in Dec and in the playoffs, could at least play the position at a top 10 or 15 level. Dak has sloppy mechanics leading to mediocre accuracy, doesn't appear to have good pocket awareness, etc etc.

Can Dak figure it out? Sure. But i'm not sure I want to burn the time and the effort teaching someone QB skills they should have learned in college, unless they have one elite physical trait like a cannon arm or fast wheels. Dak has neither one of these. Might be best to just wipe the slate clean.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Fair point. Is there any objective data that compares defenses vs blockers besides the untrustworthy eye ball test?

No idea. I thought I had seen someone had compiled that data at some point last year, but I could be wrong.

pansophy

Reaction score
Watched the first video. Only 2 passes were caught with the receiver near or moving towards the sideline. Both passes Dak was rolling out and moving toward the WR and both passes were less than 7 yards.

This is the problem.

Defenses start doubling Beasley and/or Witten to clog the middle and try to force Dak to throw outside. Dez runs slants that at the beginning of the year Dak had a hard time hitting. He got better after a 2 game skid, so we know he is working at it.

Until Dak can work the sidelines life is going to be hard for him and this offense. That is where the big plays come from and until he makes these throws Beasley is going to continue to be a non-factor.

If Dak comes out in preseason throwing to the sideline 10+ yards downfield then we should be very hopeful, otherwise I believe the door is open for Rush or someone else to take over.

I do know Dak will do the work.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I've been big on taking Allen as he compared to Wentz a lot....only difference is that Wentz was much more polished coming out. PFF did bring some doubts into my mind though about his accuracy issues...he's got a fantastic arm but he's definitely lacking consistency in the accuracy department.

I was obnoxiously high on Wentz during that draft period.

I don't know Josh Allen as well yet but my gosh he physically is incredible. That's a real talent.

He can run and puts Brett Favre zip on the ball.

I need to watch more.

Some posters have scared me off with the 56% completion percentage. I really buy into Bill Parcells rules for when he looks at a QB.

But you have a guy like Baker Mayfield who plays in a offense like he does and of course he will complete a high amount of passes.

I just need to see more but my initial reaction to Josh Allen is he is behind Rosen and ahead of Darnold and Mayfield.