A reminder that Dak can play QB

condoin125

Reaction score
I was obnoxiously high on Wentz during that draft period.

I don't know Josh Allen as well yet but my gosh he physically is incredible. That's a real talent.

He can run and puts Brett Favre zip on the ball.

I need to watch more.

Some posters have scared me off with the 56% completion percentage. I really buy into Bill Parcells rules for when he looks at a QB.

But you have a guy like Baker Mayfield who plays in a offense like he does and of course he will complete a high amount of passes.

I just need to see more but my initial reaction to Josh Allen is he is behind Rosen and ahead of Darnold and Mayfield.
I'm with you on Mayfield to an extent....I wouldn't use a first on him by any means but I would consider it with a 2nd or 3rd, which he won't last to.

Yes, Allen (even with his accuracy issues) has a ton of scouts salivating because of his impressive physical tools. I just don't know enough about the guy to say if they're correctable accuracy issues or if he's just one of those guys that will never be consistently accurate (Cam Newton). I would put him behind both Rosen and Darnold at this point though and ahead of Mayfield. I'm also curious about the guy from Auburn (is he coming out?)...supposed to have a lot of physical tools but be a project.

Edit: Nevermind, Stidham from Auburn is going back to school.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was a huge supporter of Dak last year. I pat him him on the back when he plays well and we have success and critique him when he doesn’t and we lose just like I did with Romo.

And if we don’t have anymore success than we did the last 10 years I’ll be just as miserable.

Sorry I was hoping for a more elite QB this time around.

We have seen how great Dak can be when conditions around him are very good. And he showed that as a rookie. He is only going to get better. Now if your looking for a perfect and elite QB that can be Tom Brady when things arent perfect around him then you will probably always be disappointed. Now we got Zeke for a reason and this Oline. If they play up to par we have seen that Dak is great.

And really nothing matters if we dont fix this defense.

lk8701

Reaction score
I've been big on taking Allen as he compared to Wentz a lot....only difference is that Wentz was much more polished coming out. PFF did bring some doubts into my mind though about his accuracy issues...he's got a fantastic arm but he's definitely lacking consistency in the accuracy department.

Allen is more like Paxton Lynch.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The videos show Dak is basically a lighter version of Roethlisberger without the aggressiveness to put it in tight windows. He’s best when he’s ad-libbing. He’s not Aikman or Romo who were cerebral and could make you pay.

The biggest thing the videos show me besides lack of accuracy is his arm strength is not very impressive at all. It seems those balls take forever to get there.

So if the playbook doesn’t allow him to be more of an improv QB I think it he won’t be an NFL quality starter who you can build around.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
We have seen how great Dak can be when conditions around him are very good. And he showed that as a rookie. He is only going to get better. Now if your looking for a perfect and elite QB that can be Tom Brady when things arent perfect around him then you will probably always be disappointed. Now we got Zeke for a reason and this Oline. If they play up to par we have seen that Dak is great.

Dak’s great if the defense is so worried about Zeke they let receivers run free. And if the OL can block and give him time.

He needs WRs that are all by themselves so it’s ok if the ball is off the mark by 2-3 yards. They have time to run up to his floaters and bring it in

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
The videos show Dak is basically a lighter version of Roethlisberger without the aggressiveness to put it in tight windows. He’s best when he’s ad-libbing. He’s not Aikman or Romo who were cerebral and could make you pay.

The biggest thing the videos show me besides lack of accuracy is his arm strength is not very impressive at all. It seems those balls take forever to get there.

So if the playbook doesn’t allow him to be more of an improv QB I think it he won’t be an NFL quality starter who you can build around.
Good post. Important to note when Ben was a rookie and second year player; he wasn't as aggressive. He tried to manage games, make a throw or two, escape with his legs when pressure came and not turn it over. I remember hearing analysts say "Ben just doesn't throw INT's" when he was in years 1-2. Yet, he didn't have close to as many INT free games as Prescott. His numbers, weren't as good as Dak's. Ben is absolutely the best comp out there for Dak. He's bigger, but very similar talents. As time goes on we will see Dak be more aggressive with his windows he tries to fit it in.

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
Dak’s great if the defense is so worried about Zeke they let receivers run free. And if the OL can block and give him time.

He needs WRs that are all by themselves so it’s ok if the ball is off the mark by 2-3 yards. They have time to run up to his floaters and bring it in
There were several games in 2017 when Zeke was just pedestrian and Dak was very good anyway.

jay94

Reaction score
Dak can play, but to me at this point, he looks like a mid tier quarterback. What do I mean by this? I don't think he is a quarterback that can carry a team. Can this change in year 3? Certainly, but if it doesn't happen there, I have 0 faith it will happen later, and I hope we don't overpay a quarterback that gives us mediocre results.

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
Dak can play, but to me at this point, he looks like a mid tier quarterback. What do I mean by this? I don't think he is a quarterback that can carry a team. Can this change in year 3? Certainly, but if it doesn't happen there, I have 0 faith it will happen later, and I hope we don't overpay a quarterback that gives us mediocre results.
They're going to pay him. You should prepare yourself for that. That's about as certain as it gets in sports, barring injury.

His numbers aren't mid tier. They're elite in every way. There's a lot more evidence that say he's top 10 in the game and top five for guys under 25 than "mid tier"

jay94

Reaction score
They're going to pay him. You should prepare yourself for that. That's about as certain as it gets in sports, barring injury.

His numbers aren't mid tier. They're elite in every way. There's a lot more evidence that say he's top 10 in the game and top five for guys under 25 than "mid tier"

If he plays at least at his second year level I can agree with that. I will say his receivers did him no justice, and just showed how Romo made one of the worst receiver cores looked good he Laurent Robinsoned the crew and Dak at this point doesn't have that in him. Yes Romo will throw an interception when he knows his defense will likely let him down, yes he is humpty dumpty, but he's stuck in the Phillip Rivers boat and unfortunately for him, he was better than Rivers.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Lol you guys are really setting yourselves up for disappointment by trying to convince yourself that this guy can play.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Lol you guys are really setting yourselves up for disappointment by trying to convince yourself that this guy can play.

Let me ask you this and I'm not calling you out or anything like that but just curious. What your thought process about Dak during a game? I mean are hoping he lights it up and shine or suck as you expect him to do? Just wondered what the fans who are convinced he's not the answer are thinking while he's playing.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
So we won’t win yet again like we didn’t win with all the other QBs after Aikman. Most likely, we won’t win with several other QBs after Dak as well. It’s not like Cowboys fans aren’t accustomed to disappointment now.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
His accuracy issues started once Zeke was suspended. Before that, he was playing really well. What's funny is Wentz is considered an MVP by his fanbase, yet only completed 60.2% of his passes.
Well when ur RB gets suspended, Tyron tweaked his groin, Martin gets a concussion. Still same lazy WRs and a defense who now doesnt have to play the offense honest. Teams told media they knew what Dallas was going to do with elliot but just couldnt stop it. Dont you think it just really easy without him in there and no changes in the gameplan?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Let me ask you this and I'm not calling you out or anything like that but just curious. What your thought process about Dak during a game? I mean are hoping he lights it up and shine or suck as you expect him to do? Just wondered what the fans who are convinced he's not the answer are thinking while he's playing.
When im watching him, im looking for certain traits that hint that he can be the guy long term. Most of last season, I witnessed a guy that struggled with one of the main things a quarterback needs to be succesful in this league, the ability to be accurate downfield.

You dont get significantly better at downfield accuracy and pocket presence. You usually have it, or you dont.

I dont look at stats or wins/losses when im evaluating a QB.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
So we won’t win yet again like we didn’t win with all the other QBs after Aikman. Most likely, we won’t win with several other QBs after Dak as well. It’s not like Cowboys fans aren’t accustomed to disappointment now.
I agree, but it doesnt have to be that way if we actually had a GM and coach worth a damn.

sbark

Reaction score
Well when ur RB gets suspended, Tyron tweaked his groin, Martin gets a concussion. Still same lazy WRs and a defense who now doesnt have to play the offense honest. Teams told media they knew what Dallas was going to do with elliot but just couldnt stop it. Dont you think it just really easy without him in there and no changes in the gameplan?
But that is when the Coaches, the Scheme has to have the flexibility to dig deep into the playbook for the rub's/ picks, spread sets, WCO elements to help the kid out......We watched the Vikes come with rubs within 8 yrds LOS to help Case Keenum out. Saw the Eagles with a rub 12 yards deep to help Wentz out on the Alagore TD against Seahawks when they were struggling to get points on the board.

Garrett/ Linehan did little to help him on top of Dak's problems of his own,

Biggest thing all year, the scheme couldnt let Dak get back to utilizing Beasley, Def's took him away, they couldnt even phase in elements of N.Eng. shceme over the course of the season.......

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I still have hope Dak can tweak his weaknesses. And I hope we can continue building up our defense to support him.

I think what became most alarming this year is Dak is going to need more support than originally thought not strong enough to carry us without all of our key pieces.

And while we thought our offense was our strength focusing in building up our defense it now looks like the offense needs retooling as well to cater to Daks skill sets.

So, does this set us back until we can retool our offense while continuing to build our defense?

I thought this was one of the upsides to choosing Dak to be our future is he presented immediate upswing being a surprise talent in 4th round taking us to the brink of a championship appearance . It appears he regressed quite a bit in one season?

Would we have made the same decisions after 2016 with the results we had in 2017? Seems like fair questions . I understand we’re locked in on Dak now. But I can be critical of that position by Jerry as well .It serves no purpose to rehash but that’s what we do as fans and in a forum is second guess and play Monday Morning QB.

I have some serious concerns with Dak moving forward. I’m not feeling the excitement I did after 2016. His progression , performance and results of the team can change those concerns.

We had some some concerns in 2016 but the winning wave was hard to knock. Without that winning the concerns become more visible and concerning.

condoin125

Reaction score
Allen is more like Paxton Lynch.
Huh? Haven't seen that comp anywhere so far about him. How do you even come to that conclusion? Paxton doesn't have anywhere near the physical traits that Allen displays. Mel Kiper has Allen going as his #1 QB in his latest mock to Cleveland. Now, don't get me wrong, I think that's a bit crazy. Rosen should at least go ahead of him at this point....Allen may technically have a higher ceiling but this isn't the NBA where you draft totally on potential.