A tidbit/rumor to share

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There was talk on the radio yesterday about John Harbaugh. They described him as a "CEO coach", meaning a guy that oversaw the operation but wasn't directly involved in coaching the offense, defense, or special teams. That made me think of Garrett and how his role here has changed and evolved. I'd consider him that same CEO coach, overseeing everything rather than directing any areas specifically. And I think that's his best role to be honest as he isn't and never will be a great X's and O's guy. And I believe that's why many have speculated that he'd be better in a front office role rather than on the field.
that's most coaches in the league outside of a few who are actively calling plays during the game.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Considering that Richard is named HC at some point, my theory is he brings in Marquand Manuel to run his defense, or maybe even Dan Quinn if he's fired by that point.

Who would run the offense? Because we know SL has to go.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I like the foundation of this rumor. I think if the dominos at least fell in that direction, it could be great for the team.

I'm in agreeance with others that I think Stephen is GM in the waiting, but, you never know I suppose. Never say never.

Praxit

Reaction score
..Just wow..!! crazy rumors. But it does make sense. I can see Jerry wanting some glory, its been a long time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be behind it but why would Garrett want to give up coaching? Unless at this point he's just ready to move on and get away from the day to day grind that a HC has to deal with?

That would be the one reason in my book too. But consider this, he'd have considerable more security and staying power after a move to the front office than he does today as the head coach. And the hours would likely be more regular and somewhat less.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering that Richard is named HC at some point, my theory is he brings in Marquand Manuel to run his defense, or maybe even Dan Quinn if he's fired by that point.

Who would run the offense? Because we know SL has to go.

Two names in my mind:

• Darrell Bevell as the OC
  • Michael Barrow as the DC
Richard worked with both in Seattle, and quite frankly I'm surprised he didn't bring Barrow with him to Dallas.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe you heard this, but don’t believe this will happen. Garrett is a coach and wants to coach, not be a GM.

That's cool. No offense taken. I'd give it a remote chance at best of ever happening myself.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Yep, and and thats why Garrett has 2 superbowl rings with Jimmy , except Garret was a back up QB holding a clipboard and the other was the HC .
You missed the point but that's not surprising. Intellect hasn't really been your strong suit around here.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'd love to see it happen, but it's a lot of unprecedented change. Having said that, I've also heard the Texans owner Bob McNair's death hit Jerry hard and has him seeing his mortality. If that's true, I can see him quite possibly changing things as a result.

Dude, wake up. Its the Yacht.

Kidding, it makes perfect sense like you say. Jerry would have the perfect transition with his son as his proxy, McClay and Garrett as the smart guys in VP roles and then Richard stepping in as Head Coach with some of the best personal leadership qualities in the NFL.

That is a lot of sharp people in place to run things.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
You missed the point but that's not surprising. Intellect hasn't really been your strong suit around here.

Yes you are really smart , you don't make any arguments so you rely on personal attacks ... Do you scrub toilets for a living ?