A tidbit/rumor to share

Kaiser

Reaction score
That would be the one reason in my book too. But consider this, he'd have considerable more security and staying power after a move to the front office than he does today as the head coach. And the hours would likely be more regular and somewhat less.

Garrett would also be going out on his own terms, especially if we win at least one more game in this playoff series. Very few NFL HCs get to leave on their own terms, with most of them its the Hunger Games and they box up their office after dark one night.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Two names in my mind:

• Darrell Bevell as the OC
  • Michael Barrow as the DC
Richard worked with both in Seattle, and quite frankly I'm surprised he didn't bring Barrow with him to Dallas.
He's also extremely tight with Troy Polamalu, dating back to their days at USC.

I could see him bringing him in as a defensive assistant or a safeties coach.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The rumor that you shared would be my dream scenario. I have been a really hard critic of Garrett for a very long time. Probably over the top with my criticisms. But I have always criticized his playbook and game day coaching. Now his drafting and building of a team has been impressive. Garrett did change the drafting strategy to bulk up the line with drafting Fredbeard, Smith, Martin, maybe not in that order but you know what I mean. I would love Garrett in a draft/scouting role and putting a team together and then let someone else take over on coaching it. I doubt this would happen cuz Jerry will always be the GM but I would be really happy if it does. Hopefully Garrett would be promoted to assistant GM or something.

On a side note. Another poster made a thread about differences he sees in Garrett as far as demeanor on the sidelines. I thought the OP of that thread had a good observation and point. Not trying to read into things that aren't there but what if Garrett already knows this is coming and that's the reason for the change in sideline demeanor.

One thing I do like tho, is Garrett is being credited for changing the culture. Regardless of some very dumb coaching moves in the past he has been the main reason the culture has changed, IMO. A very recent example of his leadership changing the culture. Garrett holding Hurns' hand as he was being worked on by the medical staff was moving. Players want to play their guts out for a man like that. He cares about the players and this wrinkles down to the players caring for each other and that makes for a team that plays to win unselfishly.

:hammer:

Great, great post!

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Yes you are really smart , you don't make any arguments so you rely on personal attacks ... Do you scrub toilets for a living ?
I actually made my argument and you came up with the same mouth breather drivel that you've posted since you showed up. And we both know damned well that your mother scrubs my toilet.

conner01

Reaction score
I’m not convinced Kris is ready to be HC myself
I like him and think he will be a HC someday but he was only a DC two years on a team with a defensive minded HC who fired him

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I actually made my argument and you came up with the same mouth breather drivel that you've posted since you showed up. And we both know damned well that your mother scrubs my toilet.

lmao ... your sister does my laundry and washes my dishes , your father scrubs my toilet ... & your mom does some other things for me ...

I do have terrible taste in women though , i'll give you that .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett would also be going out on his own terms, especially if we win at least one more game in this playoff series. Very few NFL HCs get to leave on their own terms, with most of them its the Hunger Games and they box up their office after dark one night.

Another very good point. Maybe Garrett would prefer to focus on personnel and scouting like his Dad did? Who knows? This is very likely nothing, but I think it's really interesting to speculate about anyway so I felt compelled to share it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's also extremely tight with Troy Polamalu, dating back to their days at USC.

I could see him bringing him in as a defensive assistant or a safeties coach.

Is Polamalu interested in coaching? It would surprise me as I've felt he was much more of an athletic freelancer rather than a cerebral student of the game type.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying to take it with a grain of salt. Give it as much or as little value as you see fit.

A friend of mine talks with someone with connections to the Cowboys organization, out of respect for privacy and confidentiality, I can't and won't give any names, so if you think I'm full of it, well, it won't be the first time.

But I'm told that there's talk that Jerry might make an unprecented move to keep this train going. It's been talked about the possibility of promoting Jason Garrett to the GM role and naming Kris Richard the team's head coach. It would quiet any talk of why Jones won't hire a GM and allow the team to keep a coach that the entire organization loves. Garrett would work with Will McClay on the draft and get a raise and everybody wins.

They love Richard but also love what Garrett has brought in terms of the culture of the organization and have discussed how to maintain all of that.

Again, it's second hand rumor from a friend of a friend, so take it for what it's worth. Something or nothing might come of it, but I felt it was an exciting possibility when it was shared with me so I wanted to pass it on.

I am not sure what to think of that possibility. Its seems Garrett is just in the way to be honest. LOL

Not great HC, dont want to lose McClay or Richard, but Garrett is a nice guy and everyone likes him.

To me you either lose Richard or McClay there. If you promote Garrett to GM then you are slapping McClay in the face. I dont see anyway Jones gives Garrett that title after all the credit he has always wanted that came with it.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like this rumor.
And, why would Richard want to go to an organization where he wouldn't have personnel decisions. Their majority owner has said he is changing tactics, but it sounds like a flighty ideal with no real stability.
But, maybe it has too much appeal to pass up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only way I’d see this scenario is if we win the Super Bowl as I can’t see Jerry giving up on proving he can build a championship team without Jimmy.

Part of my argument of support for Garrett is someday becoming GM. But that’s when Jerry is gone.

Unless Jerry is ready to cruise around the world in his new yacht which I doubt year round.

This is most likely just noise coming from those who’d like Richards in there. Interestingly no other teams offered him a HC position. Maybe there’s something wrong with him we cant see and why Seattle fired him?

Kaiser

Reaction score
I’m not convinced Kris is ready to be HC myself
I like him and think he will be a HC someday but he was only a DC two years on a team with a defensive minded HC who fired him

That's been my feeling also but a couple of points -

1 - Richard is probably going to force the issue by getting a HC offer elsewhere.

2 - I saw Richard in training camp and he really has the kind of personal leadership/character that just takes over the field. Sitting in the stands you are drawn to him and every defensive player is hanging on his every word. He is the type that just commands respect.

3 - Linehan likely leaves and a new OC comes in to run the offense soup to nuts and Marinelli stays in this scenario. He would have a very good staff in place so he wouldn't be creating a staff from scratch like he would with other opportunities.

4 - He has more experience than Garrett did when he was installed as Head Coach in Waiting - and whatever flaws Garrett has his time as HC has been successful.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have been harsh on Garret many times.

That being said. He has done or heck of a job this season. I can be a man and admit that. Props to him. The turnaround was amazing.

And actually...... I could see Garret making an excellent GM. I think his overall philosophy, and his patience and emotional stability would allow him to be a really successful GM if he were given the opportunity.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two names in my mind:

• Darrell Bevell as the OC
  • Michael Barrow as the DC
Richard worked with both in Seattle, and quite frankly I'm surprised he didn't bring Barrow with him to Dallas.
I don't think he was in a position as a position coach to bring anyone along. He's got some more grease now.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Is Polamalu interested in coaching? It would surprise me as I've felt he was much more of an athletic freelancer rather than a cerebral student of the game type.
You would be correct. That guy thrived in this league on his athletic ability. Once that took a nose dive, so did his career. Players who were/are students of the game learn to play beyond their regular serviceable or athletically dominant years because they've mastered the nuances of their positions and the game (Lott, Witten, etc.). Players that don't commit themselves to the cerebral part of the game take a nose dive when they can no longer physically dominate (Polamalu, Dez, etc.).