A TO (On The Field Only Discussion) Thread

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
When did he say that? Link please. I never heard that or read that yet. Where did you get that piece of info from. Please.

Maybe someone else can help on this- it was an interview with BP at the combine posted here within the past few days. I don't have the link.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Then the running game suffers because TO isn't going to block

Then you've never watched Owens play then. On the occasions when Philly did run the ball, Owens was often the one blocking for Westbrook which led to some pretty nice gains for Westbrook. Owens also was the main blocker for Westbrook on Philly's many successful screens, and Parcells seems intent on getting the screen to work. In the season that Philly went to the superbowl, Owens played a crucial role in the screen play because he was the one to draw the CBs out, and then block them when Westbrook got the ball. I really think your dis-like for Owens is prohibiting you from seeing what all he actually does on the field.

1fisher said:
what makes you think that? just a hunch? I seriously doubt KJ will be with another team...... just to make room for TO...
Yes, it is just a hunch. I believe that if Owens were to be signed, that either Johnson or Crayton would most likely be let go. Since Crayton is younger and cheaper, I believe it would be johnson unless he would be fine with taking a paycut and a reduced role in the offense.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
jdub2k4 said:
Then you've never watched Owens play then. On the occasions when Philly did run the ball, Owens was often the one blocking for Westbrook which led to some pretty nice gains for Westbrook. Owens also was the main blocker for Westbrook on Philly's many successful screens, and Parcells seems intent on getting the screen to work. In the season that Philly went to the superbowl, Owens played a crucial role in the screen play because he was the one to draw the CBs out, and then block them when Westbrook got the ball. I really think your dis-like for Owens is prohibiting you from seeing what all he actually does on the field.

I believe some people have Owens confused with Randy Moss.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I see BP trying to have both. If you assume we use draft picks to plan for the future at OG and OT, if you were just looking at 2006, how would a starting OL of Adams, Allen, Mawae, Rivera and Fabini sound? (backups Johnson, Petitti, 2 draft picks).

It would sound like a very short term band-aid that could provide for a Super Bowl year provided things go rather smoothly. But it could also blow up in your face rather easily and wouldn't be looking very well ahead to the future.

That sounds like Daniel Snyder thinking to me.

With that lineup, your average age would be 33.2 years old. While a healthy lineup of that crew should work very well together, you're taking a huge risk on them being healthy.

My personal feeling is that they need to focus on the guard spots along with left tackle.

Flozell will probably play left tackle next season no matter what, but what they could really use is a solid, young left tackle. That would allow Flozell to move to RT where he's more suited to play. That would take away the problems Flozell has with speed rushers and would also make our running game more diverse as we could run to both the right and left side effectively.

Allen is ridiculously one dimensional at this point and Rivera hasn't shown me anything yet. I don't expect a team to cure both guard spots in one season, but they clearly need to get on track on finding at least a replacement for one of those two immediately.

Of course, all of this wouldn't be a problem if Petermann greatly improved and somehow Rogers does the same as well.

Rich.........

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I believe some people have Owens confused with Randy Moss.

Owens can block, but there's plenty of times where he does give up on routes and blocking if things aren't going his way. He's got a poor attitude in general and many times that gets into the way he plays on the field. He's not as bad as Moss at giving up on plays, but he still does which isn't something you can rely on.

And while Owens can block, he doesn't block nearly as well as Keyshawn. Bledsoe succeeded early on last season because they were able to pass protect for him pretty well which is a must for Drew. And one of the people that actually helped with pass protection was Keyshawn.

Whenever you hear Keyshawn griping with some other WR about not blocking (like Irvin) what he's really saying isn't that Irvin didn't run block. He's saying that he didn't have to come in and help the O-Line pass protect.

Give the devil his due, he's the only WR you'll see do that.

And when your QB needs all the pass protection help he can get, getting rid of Keyshawn could very well be more hurtful than helpful.

Rich........

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Owens can block, but there's plenty of times where he does give up on routes and blocking if things aren't going his way. He's got a poor attitude in general and many times that gets into the way he plays on the field. He's not as bad as Moss at giving up on plays, but he still does which isn't something you can rely on.

And while Owens can block, he doesn't block nearly as well as Keyshawn. Bledsoe succeeded early on last season because they were able to pass protect for him pretty well which is a must for Drew. And one of the people that actually helped with pass protection was Keyshawn.

Whenever you hear Keyshawn griping with some other WR about not blocking (like Irvin) what he's really saying isn't that Irvin didn't run block. He's saying that he didn't have to come in and help the O-Line pass protect.

Give the devil his due, he's the only WR you'll see do that.

And when your QB needs all the pass protection help he can get, getting rid of Keyshawn could very well be more hurtful than helpful.

Rich........
Thats a good point. For all the TO lovers, remember he is great when hes happy, But when he gets upset, he quits. Thats been the root of his problems, He feels slighted or 'dissed' and then lashes out and reacts (over reacts) and then its all downhill.

If you could guarentee that TO would be happy for as long as He wears a star, I would soften my position. But you cant, and I wont.

I am telling you, TO is not the be all:end all. hes not even close.

1fisher

Reaction score
jdub2k4 said:

Yes, it is just a hunch. I believe that if Owens were to be signed, that either Johnson or Crayton would most likely be let go. Since Crayton is younger and cheaper, I believe it would be johnson unless he would be fine with taking a paycut and a reduced role in the offense.

Johnson taking a cut AND watching the tird Owens take his spot??? you have got to be kidding me! Lay the pipe down dude.... I don't think that will happen!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
1fisher said:
Johnson taking a cut AND watching the tird Owens take his spot??? you have got to be kidding me! Lay the pipe down dude.... I don't think that will happen!

I don't think Johnson should have to take a paycut.

Now the playing time thing? Well, something would have to give there.

1fisher

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I don't think Johnson should have to take a paycut.

Now the playing time thing? Well, something would have to give there.

I believe a reduced role behind a player like TO would spell disaster...... KJ thinks KJ is one of the best possession receivers in the league!:D

VirusX

Reaction score
:horse:

Im for him but only if his contract is inlaid with incentives and stipulations.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Some (not all) of you guys are serious about this TO acquisition! I'm reading some detailed accounts about TOs performance ...details abOut how he runs his routes, his ability to block, to give up on routes if he's unhappy about how the play is flowing ...yada, yada, yada.

This shows that regardless of how badly you've condemned TO in the past, regardless of how you rejected his performance on and off the field (all is forgiven)! Some of you seem to be real TO experts.

TOs talented, but highly dysfunctional unorthodox methods are irrelevant and you seem to welcome him into the Lockerroom.

If your owner wants him; he's yours -- like it or not!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Some (not all) of you guys are serious about this TO acquisition! I'm reading some detailed accounts about TOs performance ...details abOut how he runs his routes, his ability to block, to give up on routes if he's unhappy about how the play is flowing ...yada, yada, yada.

This shows that regardless of how badly you've condemned TO in the past, regardless of how you rejected his performance on and off the field (all is forgiven)! Some of you seem to be real TO experts.

TOs talented, but highly dysfunctional unorthodox methods are irrelevant and you seem to welcome him into the Lockerroom.

That is alright because for those who want TO they will also be the 1st to jump on Jerry Jones for signing him should TO continue his same old act.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:

Err...this was sorta the point of the thread. IF we sign TO what does he bring to the field without comment on whether we support the signing/ support TO etc. Pretty sure BP and JJ are not reading this and factoring it into their decision. And just like when he was in Philly hating him/liking him wouldn't change one little thing about the situation.:rolleyes:

1fisher

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
That is alright because for those who want TO they will also be the 1st to jump on Jerry Jones for signing him should TO continue his same old act.

we definitely need to archive these threads for future reference! I won't to see how many bash JJ and BP for bringing him here when he has one of his blow-ups!

1fisher

Reaction score
1fisher said:
we definitely need to archive these threads for future reference! I won't to see how many bash JJ and BP for bringing him here when he has one of his blow-ups!

I still can't get that image of him and McNabb acting like children on the sideline vs Dallas a couple of seasons ago.... How friggin' dumb!

wileedog

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

All well and dandy, but if our line is so bad that we need to evaluate our WRs on their ability to pass-protect (again) then this conversation is largely moot.

Its great that Keyshawn can and will do that, but all in all I'd rather be talking about our receivers abilities catching the football and get the O-line good enough that anything else doesn't matter.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
And the first ones to say how old the team is when TO is almost the same age as Key

1fisher

Reaction score
wileedog said:
All well and dandy, but if our line is so bad that we need to evaluate our WRs on their ability to pass-protect (again) then this conversation is largely moot.

Its great that Keyshawn can and will do that, but all in all I'd rather be talking about our receivers abilities catching the football and get the O-line good enough that anything else doesn't matter.

It's downfield blocking......

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Err... And just like when he was in Philly hating him/liking him wouldn't change one little thing about the situation.

Err ...there is a significant change about TOs situation!:rolleyes:

wileedog

Reaction score
1fisher said:
It's downfield blocking......

The quote I mentioned specifically was talking about his pass-protection blocking, which Key did do this year, and did it well.

But only because we utterly desperate.