A Wise Old Cowboy Once Told Me

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Those are the two thoughts I came away from the game with as well.

A: Where in the hell is the run game? Why are we passing on first down so much and putting ourselves in second and third and longs? What has Washington done to show we can't run on them?

B: Where is the heart on this D? Where do we buy some? Who do we rent for a season to get some?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Hostile;2295641 said:
Our Defense doesn't have enough pride or heart. A couple of guys play with fire. For the most part the concept seems to be "react fast to what the Offense does." I would rather see them have to react to what we are doing. We have some good personnel, but they aren't taking enough pride in how good they should be. There's no excuse for it.

:bow:

But, yes there is an excuse for it.
One name pops up: Stew. No one can tell me he's deserving of being DC for the Dallas Cowboys. For Cleveland, St. Louis, yes, but not this team.
Such a talented collection of players, yet Stew and his kids are playing underwhelming ball. Just think what a Ray Rhodes or a Buddy Ryan or even a Capers could do with this bunch.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2295788 said:
A wise old cowboy once told me...suck it up, rub some dirty on it and get back in the saddle.
What's the old saying, don't get too high over the Wins and don't get too low after the Losses.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2295744 said:
I predict an early demise for this non-pitchfork-and-torch thread.

CL, if you're going to tough it out, will you PM me when it's safe to return to this board later in the week? I can't take it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2295641 said:
Any given Sunday. There's a mantra I hate today. I don't think the better team won the game. I do think the team that wanted it more did. That is what really pisses me off.

There's no evidence that we didn't want to win, that we didn't try hard, or that we were going through the motions. On the contrary, I saw plenty of effort, emotion, and enthusiasm from Dallas players. As Wade conceded, they soundly beat us like a drum in all phases of the game. To imply otherwise is extremely disrespectful to the Skins and way too deferential to the Cowboys, because we've seen this act before. This is not a day for silver linings, conspiracy theories, or forgiving and forgetting. It is a day for justifiable bashing and recrimination.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2295823 said:
In this case back in the saddle means we hog tie three straight teams and build some pride in our team. Either that or we grab their necks and bulldog them to the ground until all four feet are sticking straight up in the air.

I like option B but I am sure we would just get a 15 yard penalty which would lead to a score by the opposing team.:p:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2295855 said:
:bow:

But, yes there is an excuse for it.
One name pops up: Stew. No one can tell me he's deserving of being DC for the Dallas Cowboys. For Cleveland, St. Louis, yes, but not this team.
Such a talented collection of players, yet Stew and his kids are playing underwhelming ball. Just think what a Ray Rhodes or a Buddy Ryan or even a Capers could do with this bunch.
I am being dead serious, I think Wade has sealed his fate by this Defense not being aggressive enough. Stew will be gone right beside him and Dom Capers is likely to be brought back. I don't care who leads the Defense. Hell, I'm rooting for Wade to get the job done. I just want someone who is going to let these guys beat someone up. I will take a few flags if it means teams are scared as hell.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;2295878 said:
There's no evidence that we didn't want to win, that we didn't try hard, or that we were going through the motions. On the contrary, I saw plenty of effort, emotion, and enthusiasm from Dallas players. As Wade conceded, they soundly beat us like a drum in all phases of the game. To imply otherwise is extremely disrespectful to the Skins and way too deferential to the Cowboys, because we've seen this act before. This is not a day for silver linings, conspiracy theories, or forgiving and forgetting. It is a day for justifiable bashing and recrimination.
That is the evidence.

My respect to the Skins stems from my repeatedly saying "they wanted it more." It is also my criticism of the Cowboys, that the Commanders, "wanted it more."

What silver lining? What conspiracy theory? Who did I forgive? What did I forget? Did you see me praise even one player or coach on the Cowboys by name? I know you get your jollies thinking everyone but you is a blind homer who doesn't have a clue, but that act doesn't work on me. It never has. It never will.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2295909 said:
I know you get your jollies thinking everyone but you is a blind homer who doesn't have a clue, but that act doesn't work on me. It never has. It never will.

You ache to be that "blind homer"-- don't you Hos? :D

We can start calling you Crazy Hos. :laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2295933 said:
You ache to be that "blind homer"-- don't you Hos? :D

We can start calling you Crazy Hos. :laugh2:
Hell no I don't. I am capable of getting as mad as anybody else at a loss. I just think it's stupid to whine and gripe when we win.

Call me whatever you like as long as you pay for dinner. ;)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
The problem is the defense getting run over and giving up scores at will.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2295909 said:
That is the evidence.

My respect to the Skins stems from my repeatedly saying "they wanted it more." It is also my criticism of the Cowboys, that the Commanders, "wanted it more."

And I'm saying that's a weasily, disrespectful cop-out. This loss had nothing to do with "lack of desire" or "not bringing our A game." We got our ***** kicked in all phases of the game. There's no evidence that Washington "wanted it more." Deal with it.

What silver lining? What conspiracy theory? Who did I forgive? What did I forget? Did you see me praise even one player or coach on the Cowboys by name?

How 'bout the first two paragraphs?

It doesn't matter how much mud and dust you kick up in the front stretch. It's how much mud and dust you're kicking up in the back stretch that counts.

See the 2007 New York Giants as an example. Started the season 0-2, got hot right when it mattered, and took care of business.

You effectively dismissed yesterday's loss and insinuated that we'll mimic the 2007 Giants by magically turning it on at season's end. Based on what, exactly? Wishful thinking? So yes, you clearly do want to forget Sunday's debacle and fast forward to December. Lessons learned? Zilch. Humility gained? Nada.

Then there's this:

Our Defense doesn't have enough pride or heart. A couple of guys play with fire. For the most part the concept seems to be "react fast to what the Offense does." I would rather see them have to react to what we are doing. We have some good personnel, but they aren't taking enough pride in how good they should be. There's no excuse for it.

Again, you make it sound as if we're our own worst enemy. That it's inconceivable that the other team might be better or have played better. That our own failings can be chalked up to a bad day, or a lack of concentration, or a dearth of so-called "pride." This isn't manning up; this is classic excuse making. Something's rotten in [strike]Denmark[/strike] Dallas, and you're merrily whistling past the graveyard.

And the coup de grace:

I still believe we are the best team in the NFL, when we have our heads in the game and play with some heart. I still believe the Super Bowl goes through Texas Stadium. I also believe this team needs to pull their heads out of a dark, smelly place and play with some fire.

Again with the cliche-ridden "we're the only team that can stop us" bull****. Based on recent history, no one has the right to be this arrogant or optimistic. No one.

I know you get your jollies thinking everyone but you is a blind homer who doesn't have a clue, but that act doesn't work on me. It never has. It never will.

Sigh. "It's Commanders Week, Part VIII: Hos shows no class." Mea culpas were never your strong suit.

kingfish

Reaction score
Not being a troll here but are you afraid that TO is about to implode? In yesterdays presser, he basically called out Romo.
TO had 19 passes thrown his way and caught only 7. That's 1/3 of the offense going to TO alone. If he's demanding more catches, that has to take something away from the rest of the offense and from what I'm reading in here, Barber didn't get anywhere near the carries he should have. You don't build your offense around one receiver and it looks as if TO doesn't see it that way. I think you're dealing with a ticking time bomb and he's about to explode.
So ban me, cuss me out or call me a troll because what sane cowBOY fan would ever agree with a Commander fan? Looking forward to the rematch on November 16th.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hostile;2295641 said:
It doesn't matter how much mud and dust you kick up in the front stretch. It's how much mud and dust you're kicking up in the back stretch that counts.

See the 2007 New York Giants as an example. Started the season 0-2, got hot right when it mattered, and took care of business.

Yesterday sucked. I mean it really sucked. I get the added pleasure of checking the new accounts for approval. The number of new accounts with obvious Commanders fans is nauseating because any time one of them is registering after the game the chances are higher that is an account created just to be a troll.

I am among the people who think we needed to control the clock by establishing the run. This team excels when Barber is beating the defense to death and Felix is making them winded trying to catch him. That opens up the pass. I can't help but wonder in looking at how many times we looked to get the ball to TO if that wasn't over compensation for the Green Bay game. Whatever the reason was, I don't want to see that again.

I've been saying all off season and I still say Patrick Crayton is not a legit #2 WR and we need to solve that. I like Patrick. I just think he is a #3 guy at best. We don't have a #2 guy. If we did it would be too much for any defense to deal with.

Do you believe Miles Austin could potentially be that guy?

If not than please explain.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;2296001 said:
And I'm saying that's a weasily, disrespectful cop-out. This loss had nothing to do with "lack of desire" or "not bringing our A game." We got our ***** kicked in all phases of the game. There's no evidence that Washington "wanted it more." Deal with it.

How 'bout the first two paragraphs?

You effectively dismissed yesterday's loss and insinuated that we'll mimic the 2007 Giants by magically turning it on at season's end. Based on what, exactly? Wishful thinking? So yes, you clearly do want to forget Sunday's debacle and fast forward to December. Lessons learned? Zilch. Humility gained? Nada.

Then there's this:

Again, you make it sound as if we're our own worst enemy. That it's inconceivable that the other team might be better or have played better. That our own failings can be chalked up to a bad day, or a lack of concentration, or a dearth of so-called "pride." This isn't manning up; this is classic excuse making. Something's rotten in [strike]Denmark[/strike] Dallas, and you're merrily whistling past the graveyard.

And the coup de grace:

I still believe we are the best team in the NFL, when we have our heads in the game and play with some heart. I still believe the Super Bowl goes through Texas Stadium. I also believe this team needs to pull their heads out of a dark, smelly place and play with some fire.

Again with the cliche-ridden "we're the only team that can stop us" bull****. Based on recent history, no one has the right to be this arrogant or optimistic. No one.

Sigh. "It's Commanders Week, Part VIII: Hos shows no class." Mea culpas were never your strong suit.

Ouch!!!

Man, this is going to be good!

Good ole' BB went straight for the kill!

That's a double shotgun blast right into the chest!

Let's see how Hos recovers... er... replies. :D

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2295738 said:
A wise old Cowboy told me beating up "kindergartners" the next three weeks doesn't mean much...
But when you poop your pants facing a real team--that's what separates the championship teams from the pretenders.

Beating the Commanders yesterday would have meant we beat a good team?

Phillips has beat good teams in Dallas since hes been here.

We can beat good teams. Thats proven.

Now if you want to throw the playoff thing out there feel free. But we've proven we can beat good teams.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Hostile;2295641 said:
Any given Sunday. There's a mantra I hate today. I don't think the better team won the game. I do think the team that wanted it more did. That is what really pisses me off.

Totally agree with this.

At home against your hated rival and they want it more?

Pathetic.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Rack;2295696 said:
Been saying that for years.

Doesn't make it ok that our front 7 played like high schoolers yesterday.

I'd rather we had given up some "fluke" long runs and passes cuz those are easier to fix. Getting your butts kicked up front, that's a bit harder. And I don't know that we have the leadership on the team to get it done (either from the players or coaches).

Agreed.

Seeing them get first down after first down...with the clock running out and the game on the line was sickening.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;2296021 said:
Beating the Commanders yesterday would have meant we beat a good team?

Phillips has beat good teams in Dallas since hes been here.

We can beat good teams. Thats proven.

Now if you want to throw the playoff thing out there feel free. But we've proven we can beat good teams.

This team had a chance to make a "statement" yesterday. They could have shown the would that this team is the team to beat this year.

But instead, at 7:15PM EST time last night, they needed to change their Depends.