A Wise Old Cowboy Once Told Me

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;2296113 said:
I guess you missed the game yesterday, just like you've been missing the point for years now. I admire your consistency.

:lmao2:

I shouldn't laugh at that...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2296403 said:
What is your issue with this, bb? Like Hos said, "Wanting it more" is a huge credit to them and a huge discredit to us. It's in no way "self serving". Why are you trying to make it anything more than that??

"Wanting it more" = cognitive dissonance. It's stupid and disrespectful window dressing. It allows you to kid yourself into thinking the Skins merely tried harder or played harder than they normally do, or that we did the opposite. No sale. Moss didn't "want" it more; he flat out beat Newman. Randle El didn't "want" it more; he flat out spun Henry like a top. Portis didn't "want" it more; he shed tackler after tackler. They almost pulled off the upset last year, so yesterday does not qualify as a shock.

Surely you realize that football is an emotional game and that energy and emotion play a huge part in who wins, right?

Neither team was emotionally flat yesterday. We were chest-bumping and flexing our muscles with the best of them.

If you're trying to argue that they are simply superior to us talent-wise, then why are you upset at the loss?

Isn't everyone upset with this loss? This isn't about me.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
good one Hos......

We need to find some dust and mud.....that is how far we are from kicking anything on D

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
a wise man once said

"we must protect this house"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where the cowboy pride at???? thats all the could muster in the last game at Texas stadium for the skids????

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's not cognitive dissonance at all. What are you talking about? You act as if every team always plays at the same level of ability every single week. And you know better than that.

And again I ask... If you *do* believe we both played to the exact same emotional and effort level, that would mean they were simply better than us. So why then be upset that we lost to a superior team?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that when Wade Phillips is fired after this season, he and Brian Stewart will be able to point to games like this one and against Philadelphia and know exactly why they're getting fired.

Both were brought in to get maximum results from Jerry Jones' huge investment in his defense.

And both have failed to this point.

Is there another team in the league with such an investment made to one side of the ball?

With more #1 draft picks, high-priced players, and less return-on-investment?

Another team whose head coach's sole responsibility is its' defense?

My belief is that the most important aspect of coaching is to recognize your team's talent (or lack thereof) and to put your players in the best position to maximize their strengths while minimizing their weaknesses.

Does it look like Wade or Stewart are doing that?

Not to me.

And when that gets him fired, the man doesn't have the right to be surprised.

The writing is on the wall.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2296522 said:
It's not cognitive dissonance at all. What are you talking about? You act as if every team always plays at the same level of ability every single week. And you know better than that.

And again I ask... If you *do* believe we both played to the exact same emotional and effort level, that would mean they were simply better than us. So why then be upset that we lost to a superior team?

We are the cowboys we shouldn't lose no matter who it is when it is or where it is. IDC who we are playing I expect us to win each and every game.

khiladi

Reaction score
stasheroo;2296529 said:
I think that when Wade Phillips is fired after this season, he and Brian Stewart will be able to point to games like this one and against Philadelphia and know exactly why they're getting fired.

Both were brought in to get maximum results from Jerry Jones' huge investment in his defense.

And both have failed to this point.

Is there another team in the league with such an investment made to one side of the ball?

With more #1 draft picks, high-priced players, and less return-on-investment?

Another team whose head coach's sole responsibility is its' defense?

My belief is that the most important aspect of coaching is to recognize your team's talent (or lack thereof) and to put your players in the best position to maximize their strengths while minimizing their weaknesses.

Does it look like Wade or Stewart are doing that?

Not to me.

And when that gets him fired, the man doesn't have the right to be surprised.

The writing is on the wall.

At least Wade needs to play his draft picks more, because all I see is him trusting the Parcells re-treads. Not a lot of playing time for Spencer... Mike Jenkins is a man corner, didn't play much...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;2296362 said:
There's no evidence they "wanted it more," nor did we give less than maximum effort. Sometimes, getting whipped on both sides of the ball just happens. It has nothing to do with lack of desire. Michael Phelps didn't "want it more"; he was just plain better. Nor did his opponents try to spin their defeats in such a lame manner. Can you not find a way to compliment the Skins minus the self-serving caveats?
The evidence is in the final score.

Lack of desire? Apparently you think "more" means one end of the equation means zero.

Again, where I come from 26 > 24. 24 doesn't equal 0.

I don't give a flying crap about whether you like the way I compliment the Skins. I know what the intent of my statement is. Their fans on their site were pleased. That's good enough for me.

MDCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;2295641 said:
Our Defense doesn't have enough pride or heart. A couple of guys play with fire. For the most part the concept seems to be "react fast to what the Offense does." I would rather see them have to react to what we are doing. We have some good personnel, but they aren't taking enough pride in how good they should be. There's no excuse for it.

BINGO!!

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2296522 said:

Again, there's no evidence that the Skins put in a superhuman performance. They have a lot of weapons on that team and a QB who's suddenly putting it all together. Only their stingy D surprised me, but it carried them last year as well. "Wanting it more" is an insult disguised as a compliment. It's a kind of arrogance I find offensive. You claim not to see it. I do. So be it.

Superior team? Beats me. They were certainly superior yesterday. The rest of the season will determine the "team" question. I'm upset because this team refuses to learn from its mistakes. Last year, the Skins almost beat us in Dallas with the short passing game and underneath routes. Yesterday was a carbon copy performance, despite the fact that Pac + Jenkins + Zach was supposed to put an end to that horse****. Woops.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
bbgun;2296635 said:
Again, there's no evidence that the Skins put in a superhuman performance. They have a lot of weapons on that team and a QB who's suddenly putting it all together. Only their stingy D surprised me, but it carried them last year as well. "Wanting it more" is an insult disguised as a compliment. It's a kind of arrogance I find offensive. You claim not to see it. I do. So be it.
Nobody said anything about "superhuman" that I saw.

And no, it's not arrogance disguised as a compliment, for the tenth time.

But, like you say, we can agree to disagree.

Superior team? Beats me. They were certainly superior yesterday. The rest of the season will determine the "team" question.
So one game yesterday didn't determine which team will end up being better? Thank you!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;2296635 said:
No, it isn't. I've already explained that to you, but by all means you go right along with your fake little tap dance. It's amusing as always.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
bbgun;2296362 said:
There's no evidence they "wanted it more," nor did we give less than maximum effort. Sometimes, getting whipped on both sides of the ball just happens. It has nothing to do with lack of desire. Michael Phelps didn't "want it more"; he was just plain better. Nor did his opponents try to spin their defeats in such a lame manner. Can you not find a way to compliment the Skins minus the self-serving caveats?

Wow. You're pathetic. The team that wins usually wants it more regardless if they have more, less, or equal talent. Is it proof? No. But, it is evidence.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If bbgun believes Washington is a better team than fine let him believe that.

Lets see how they do against Philly this week.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Yesterday Zorn took his and beat ours, but he could have just as easily taken ours and beat his.

I wonder what the score would have been if he had ours going up against his?

Bear Bryant could take his'n and beat your'n, or he could take your'n and beat his'n.

Bum Phillips

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CATCH17;2296662 said:
If bbgun believes Washington is a better team than fine let him believe that.

Lets see how they do against Philly this week.
I may be arguing with him over the sincerity of my compliments to the Commanders, but he isn't saying that.

He thinks I offered some kind of left handed compliment by saying they wanted it more. I actually can't think of very many ways to praise them higher than that. Desire and pride in a football team is laudable. That is what I was doing despite his warped definition of it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2296652 said:
So one game yesterday didn't determine which team will end up being better? Thank you!

I never said or implied otherwise, so I'm not sure why this is even an issue. I'm not worried about the 2008 Commanders. I'm worried about old weaknesses still demonizing the 2008 Cowboys.

SacredStar

Reaction score
We needed to have this situation appear now rather than at the end of the season.

The last few years, we have have left the gates strong only to tucker out at the end of the race. I'd much rather we start out slow and finish strong.

There is still plenty of time to address the weaknesses of this team. This team needs to stick together and back each other up, with no pointing fingers, and continue to improve while saving the best for last.....a playoff win or better.

Just like Sunday, there will be bumps in the road but it is up to the team to smooth the lane to a successful season.